Sign in to follow this  
6FingerSays

You are a passenger on a B737-800NG and both pilots are unconscious. Could you land it?

This thread is getting ridiculous now, 4000 hours flying your desk or a few hours in a cessna or LVL-D is not going to prepare you for the responsibility of landing an 80T + aircraft in an emergency situation with real men, woman and children sitting behind you. end of story..

It seems that modern day simulators have given some an inflated ego and sense of confidence.

Agree with first part, but I think you need to have some confidence in order to even try.

This thread is getting ridiculous now, 4000 hours flying your desk or a few hours in a cessna or LVL-D is not going to prepare you for the responsibility of landing an 80T + aircraft in an emergency situation with real men, woman and children sitting behind you. end of story..

It seems that modern day simulators have given some an inflated ego and sense of confidence.

Here here, I was honestly expecting a lot more "I could maybe set up an autoland, sorta, kinda." type answers, but some people have blatently come out and said that they'd manually land it no bother.... :rolleyes:

Ah well, good thing is, that in 100 years of aviation, there's never been a case where a two man crew both managed to become incapacitated at the controls, and may that trend last another 100 years to come....

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

My last comment is in regards to those that think because they have bought some sim time they would have no issues in the real thing.

Rob Prest

I'll put it to yee this way, I have amassed 18,000+ hours TT at this stage in real aircraft, flying back and forth day in day out for 23 years. But my experience is purely limited to Airbus A320/A330 and the Boeing 737 Classics. Even I wouldn't risk manually flying another type of aircraft without first having received instruction on it, heck I'd even be wary about flying a B737 at this stage it's been so long (18 years). I mean, sure, I may have more knowledge, I may well be great at working the radios, I may well know my way, or be able to guesstimate my way around the FCU, but I'm not going to go all out and handfly the thing without someone training me from the other seat, ready to take over at a moments notice. Alright, I'd probably fly the A340 by hand, perhaps an A380 if I was desperate. But T7, 747, MD11, NG, E-Jets, CRJs, Q400's, not a chance would I take the AP out without a second pair (or more) of experienced eyes watching over me.

So even with my 23 years under my belt and 18k hours, I'm still hesitant, yet some of yee guys on here seem to think it's just a case of a minute or two to "get a feel" of her and you'll be on your way, as good as the real thing? Not a chance....

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ah well, good thing is, that in 100 years of aviation, there's never been a case where a two man crew both managed to become incapacitated at the controls, and may that trend last another 100 years to come....

Ró.

Helios Airways flight 522 sadly, but so did everyone else.

Helios Airways flight 522 sadly, but so did everyone else.

Ah, right, good point. I shall swallow my words. Apologies everyone, my bad. But I think the general gist of my post remains the same. It's a once in 5 generations event based on that accident....

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ah, right, good point. I shall swallow my words. Apologies everyone, my bad. But I think the general gist of my post remains the same. It's a once in 5 generations event based on that accident....

Ró.

I'm not disagreeing with you if you're being defensive with me...

I'm not disagreeing with you if you're being defensive with me...

Sorry no, not defensive, apologetic... I should have remembered that one, it's one of the big accidents of this decade, yet it somehow managed to slip my mind... No offence meant.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Keeping your cool in such a situation would be indeed the hardest thing in the world. When I'm landing a plane in FS and i'm frustrated or upset, I end up crashing.

Lol, this may be cheating, but yes, I think I could land the plane with no problem. Then again, based on my FO's assessment of my most recent landing at IAH, perhaps not very smoothly...

Will

Out of the the drivel being posted as responses the Gaelic man gave the most sensible answers.

Sorry no, not defensive, apologetic... I should have remembered that one, it's one of the big accidents of this decade, yet it somehow managed to slip my mind... No offence meant.

No probs :)

@Rónán O Cadhain: Thats all nice and correct, but why we talk about hand flying when automation is giving us solution with much greater chances for survival?

I know there are a risks, but cmon, we cannot expect 100% survival even with 100% trained crew (sh*t happens).

Out of the the drivel being posted as responses the Gaelic man gave the most sensible answers.

Well that's a new one on me, don't think I've ever been called Gaelic before, first time for everything I suppose... :blush:

B)

Rónán.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg