Sign in to follow this  
6FingerSays

You are a passenger on a B737-800NG and both pilots are unconscious. Could you land it?

Having landed a 747-400 in a full-motion simulator of that aircraft at the Qantas Jet Base in Sydney, Australia after 3.5 hours training with the chief instructor on the 747-400, I am fairly confident that I could land a real 737. It might not be the prettiest or smoothest landing ever, but I think everyone would walk away and the plane would be in one piece.

I could program an autoland...

Only if you are going to an Airport with a CAT III ILS approach....

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

I think in the event of someone untrained and not knowing what they're doing at the controls of a commercial aircraft, ATC will just vector the aircraft onto a CAT III at any airport, the important thing is getting everyone on the ground not the inconvenience of passengers landing at the wrong airport. :lol:

I've thought about this a lot. Not so much for an NG however.

If you know the Aircraft extremely well it's all well and good. But there are so many other factors to consider. Think about your knowledge, do you just know about the NGX on FSX or do you know the principles of flight too? Do you know what clouds you'll want avoid? Do you know what to do in a rapid rate of depressurisation with terrain FL130-FL200 below ASL right below you? Can you cope with ATC whilst carrying out the appropriate checklists and actions? Engine number 1/2 fire? Birdstrike? Wind Shier? Will you be able to cope with it at all? The list goes on..

I'd agree on the Cat3 ILS, given the correct conditions it's probably one of the safest moves to getting the aircraft on the ground if you know how to do it. Flying manually could cause you more problems than you planned. But then you can't rely on ILS all the time, you should remember it's all a big computer that can mess up. So you'd need to be ready to take control both on the yoke and rudder.

Interesting topic though! I'll say I can do it once I have all wheels safely on the ground ha.

You don't need a CATIII system to perform an autoland, the aircraft will autoland on any protected ILS signal. Too tired to go into details it's 3am here

Rob Prest

After flying the NGX, could ya?

^_^

~~Don't be all technical and crap

Haha this is classic!

Hell id do it. Gimme the charts and ill put her down. Ahahaha. After all, I use the saitek yoke and rudder pedals. Lmao

I've thought about this a lot. Not so much for an NG however.

If you know the Aircraft extremely well it's all well and good. But there are so many other factors to consider. Think about your knowledge, do you just know about the NGX on FSX or do you know the principles of flight too? Do you know what clouds you'll want avoid? Do you know what to do in a rapid rate of depressurisation with terrain FL130-FL200 below ASL right below you? Can you cope with ATC whilst carrying out the appropriate checklists and actions? Engine number 1/2 fire? Birdstrike? Wind Shier? Will you be able to cope with it at all? The list goes on..

I'd agree on the Cat3 ILS, given the correct conditions it's probably one of the safest moves to getting the aircraft on the ground if you know how to do it. Flying manually could cause you more problems than you planned. But then you can't rely on ILS all the time, you should remember it's all a big computer that can mess up. So you'd need to be ready to take control both on the yoke and rudder.

Interesting topic though! I'll say I can do it once I have all wheels safely on the ground ha.

You do realise if someone who isn't a pilot is ever put in that situation it won't be your knowledge tested as much as the person you'll be talking to on the phone or over comms talking you through absolutely everything? What clouds you want to avoid, ATC will be vectoring you - they're not going to be telling you to "Leave OCK heading 290" or treating you as some kind of professional in any shape or form, they'll get every other aircraft out of your way and you'll be talked down like a simpleton; not being loaded with charts, checklists and instructions from ATC. Again with the high terrain below - ATC will assume the responsibility. Again, the statistical improbability of both pilots being knocked out is low enough never mind thinking about engine fires or bird-strikes on top of it. Pilots have to worry about engine fires/flame-outs when they're in the air for 30,000 hours over a span of a career.

Negating the fact this is beyond unlikely to happen, the chances they'd get that person to start hand flying the aircraft is even less likely. If an autoland isn't possible at the destination, or there's bad weather, the aircraft will just go to an alternate or another suitable airfield within range of the furthest alternate. The FAA did run research into this, and the success rate of people successfully landing a commercial aircraft is only 1% among people with a current valid PPL.

Y

I was talking about semi/advanced simmers/PPL+ holders/students. Clearly someone that's not in Aviation wouldn't know to much about what VREF to set ha.

Honestly I believe I could. That is if a person could get over the initial shock and realization that a hundred or more so people are depending on you and you knowledge of a PDF document you ran through in front of your computer.

I believe though that there are a good amount of us that could pull it off given that we could clear out heads and go with what we know, along with the help of a good controller and passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many over estamate their abilty to line an aircraft up with runway on speed and with proper flair, few could land a light airplane with no actal flight experiance let alone a comerical airliner.

percy lee.

i think i could land it i have done time in a level D simulator it was amazing.

I was talking about semi/advanced simmers/PPL+ holders/students. Clearly someone that's not in Aviation wouldn't know to much about what VREF to set ha.

As I said at the end of my post though, the FAA took x number of people from "the street" and x number of people with PPLs - and they both had the same success rate of landing a commercial airliner, which was 1%. So the line separating what level of training is necessary to be able to land a commercial aircraft is definitely not where you'd think it'd be. If you did an autoland, which is what they'd get whoever to perform, then I'm sure a lot of people using PMDG level products frequently could do it - providing it was a nice long runway and preferably not wet. In terms of having to hand fly it, only people with a decent amount of experience in a Level-D sim or another pilot would have a decent chance of pulling it off.

EDIT: The one thing I really dislike about these threads (and I've seen countless over the years) is the shocking number of people with no experience thinking they could do it, even take it in their stride - it's cringe-worthy and embarrassing.

it all depends on how smooth your fps are and pray for no micro-stutters :lol:

Doesn't matter how good you are at the NGX. You'll probably end up forgetting the gear leaver and killing everyone anyway.

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

So many over estamate their abilty to line an aircraft up with runway on speed and with proper flair, few could land a light airplane with no actal flight experiance let alone a comerical airliner.

percy lee.

Honestly, small aircraft are quite east to handfly and land. I don't understand the notion that just because it flies therefore, it must be very hard to control...

EDIT: The one thing I really dislike about these threads (and I've seen countless over the years) is the shocking number of people with no experience thinking they could do it, even take it in their stride - it's cringe-worthy and embarrassing.

We're just discussing it, that's all - no need to get annoyed! No one knows they can do it until they've actually done it.