Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

A new FSX stability hotfix

It seems to negate the artifacts that may occur when using BP=0

So it's just something random? OK, thanks for the info.

Weird though, as High 2.x water means a second pass of the terrain.

Why would anyone in their "right FSX mind" run 2 extra shader passes with water set to high, just to get rid of flashes and glitches from BP=0

I use water at high because I like the reflections. :wink: The fact that it helps preventing flashes etc. is a nice bonus (because I do use BP: it's the best tweak ever).

I already know that you need to use High 2.x water with UsePools=0, but I'm wondering, why that?

Actually, you dont need to do that, on many systems its not required. However, on many systems water high 2.x can help to reduce the graphical artifacts caused by BP=0.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Why would anyone in their "right FSX mind" run 2 extra shader passes with water set to high, just to get rid of flashes and glitches from BP=0, when you can get even better performance by doing like Nick:

http://www.simforums...topic41798.html

Yep, I know, he´s maybe outdated with all the new stuff around, and he´s grumpy and arrogant, an old, maybe, I guess, not really hip, right??

Being the skeptic that I am, I gave Nick's tweak on that post a shot and everything else being equal, my performance suffered. I started having stutters and FSX simply didn't feel right. I replaced the fsx.cfg file with the one I had with Word Not Allowed's tweaks and everything is back to normal. Fluid flying and no stutters at all. Like Nick himself says, there is no magic bullet for FSX and each system is different. What works for some with his tweaks, will not work for others and vice versa.

So call me crazy or out of my right FSX mind, but running BP=0 with the 2 extra shader passes on my system, works as advertised. ^_^

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Well, each his own taste of tweak, I just think it´s a "non-tweak" putting more load on an already loaded GPU/CPU.

Well, each his own taste of tweak, I just think it´s a "non-tweak" putting more load on an already loaded GPU/CPU.

How can it be a non-tweak when it works for some? I guess we can also call Nick's tweaks, non-tweaks, because for some they don't work, me included.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

I have never heard of this before.

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647

What the heck does this do?

All the rest are known tweaks.

That doesn't do anything, because 2147483647 is not even a legit value and it is therefore set to default (values are 5-1024). Complete BS, this tweak and everything in it is old news. TextureMaxLoad and Texture_Bandwidth_Mult are also although legit, way out of spec and setting those has been tested out and settled at least two years ago.

So, IMO it is useless even to try that "Fix" as it is thoroughly ridicilous.

How can it be a non-tweak when it works for some? I guess we can also call Nick's tweaks, non-tweaks, because for some they don't work, me included.

+1 :wink:

I gave NickN's guides a few tries (even the old ones which were ridiculously long and way over the top btw) but nothing compares to the fluid performance I get with the Bufferpool=0 tweak. I added a few other tweaks which are also in Word Not Allowed's guide, but I am having a hard time seeing a difference with or without them (I mainly keep them to avoid problems and also because they don't seem to hurt :wink: ) Anyway, the ONLY tweak that makes an IMMEDIATE and HUGE difference on MY system is BP=0!!! So it certainly isn't a non-tweak...

Well, while we are at it, could someone explain the entry in Bojote's cfg tweak that is "RejectThreshold=131072" which is right under "BP=0". Would like to know what that does/controls/affects.

Thanks

Most people stay away from Nick´s set-up guide, because they are too lazy or stupid to follow the procedure from A to Z, and if they skip something, as I suspect many do, IT WONT WORK!

It´s just plain idiotic to have the card work extra shader passes for high water, which IMO looks artificial anyway.

Ok, I fold. If you are going to resort to calling people stupid or idiots, in order to try and get your opinion across, I don't want any part of it. Buh bye.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Dshimoda,

Very poor choice of words to convey your ideas. Consider this as a first warning.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

I'm with you on this I think.

To tweak or not to tweak that is the question.

I tried Nicks old proposals, they worked fine for me.

I then did Boyote's tweaking tool on top of Nicks old stuff. But removed a few things it recommended and went with my own.

I then got Nvidia Inspector and did the recommended framerate limiter @30, setting FPS in FSX at unlimited. Works great for me.

Then along came the new Word Not Allowed approach, which I see is paralled somewhat in Nicks new approach. Tried it, spent bloody hours following along these things exactly. My FSX performance suffered.

So far, the best approach I have is using Boyote's tool, with a few other modifications here and here, mostly the original Nicks.

I use Inspector and I use framerate limter at 30 with FSX unlimited. I have Water set a High+.

I get spectacular performance, with all Orbx areas, including all but Melbourne Apt which I have to turn down the settings. I run mostly at 25-30 fsp everywhere. Flying is smooth. An this is also with REX weather and HD clouds turned on. Outside of the Orbx areas my machine races. with settings set to max except autogen.

So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am not messing with anything anymore, I'm exhausted with the ever lasting battle to win the tweak war. I just fly!

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3