Sign in to follow this  
PhilipWilson

Smelly Realism

With my wife away for the day and the house to myself, I loaded up FSX for an afternoon of fun and excitement. Living in the Pacific Northwest gave me the opportunity to take many of the development photos for various Orbx PNW airport scenery products. As an aside; it was an honor to work with such a great group of professionals who love what they do.

It’s only natural to have all the Orbx PNW scenery products installed and a favorite flight is BVS-74S (Anacortes)-ORS-HQM, and back to BVS.

So there I was on the ramp at ORS with the smooth PT6’s humming along happily in my Digital Aviation Cheyenne and………..

I scheduled some work to be done on the deck outside my office window. The carpenter was cleaning a brush in kerosene and the wind was blowing just right so I was getting a faint whiff of that jet-A smell.

At that moment, the smell of kerosene, the sound of the turbine engines through my surround sound setup, the real airplane flying over the house, and the AI aircraft taxiing by in FSX all came together to give the most realistic experience I’ve ever while simming.

Does anyone have experiences where things just come together to give you an experience beyond what the simulator alone can do?

Philip

How about brewing coffee?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Happens on my long hauls here, i can hear the noises coming from the galley (kitchen) and the smell of coffee/ food.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Very cool...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Sometimes I'll do some sim flying after a lesson and I'll get a whiff of 100LL from my GATS jar. If only there was GA traffic over my head instead of airliners landing at LGA. Oh well.

vpa020.png

Pitch + Power = Performance

Doesn't everyone have one of these?

Before you run off to Aerosoft looking for one, this was an April 1st release a few years ago.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Before you run off to Aerosoft looking for one, this was an April 1st release a few years ago.

That is AWESOME! :-)

Scott

I live in the flight path of KBUR and I get the same feeling every now an then!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If this thing materializes, perhaps we could ask the manufacturer to produce cartridges smelling of kerosene and aviation fuel:

http://www.scentscie...cent_scape.html

3D is so last season, but that would add some true immersion

Wow, is this thing for real or some kind of joke? Would be awsome to have a thing like that.

First time I really thought I could smell burning fuel and oil was when I installed and tried Rick Piper's HS748 in FS9. You do get moments like that sometimes.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)