Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Will there be another MSFS? Should there be another MSFS?

@ Alaar

But will the current community accept the diversion of resources from "true" simming that might be necessary even if only temporarily, to incorporate sufficient elements to entice other types of simmers?

Recent experience indicates probably not.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Recent experience indicates probably not.

Understatement of the day...

I think if a totally new sims is to start, it must start off SMALL, with visible growth SUPPORTED BY THE COMMUNITY. Flight started small, but growth was invisble, and not supported by the community. Those last two area's is one of the big things that failed with Flight. Flight's engine has some amazing potential, and it was built to expand easy. If someone picks it up, they will be years ahead of the curv in terms of technology. The question is if MS would be willing to let it go, or if someone has the money to buy it.

Another potential source is Aerofly FS. Im extreamly impressed with what they have! What they need to do is get an SDK out and grow on the technology in place, like clickable cockpits and more area's to fly in.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I think talking about the potential, or lost potential, or possible future potential of Flight should be done with caution.

This is an interesting thread.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Haven't these things been discussed over and over lately in this Flight Forum, and all these threads closed by the mods.

Isn't it time to move on and let the flight users enjoy their game/sim, or atleast move this discussion over to the hangar chat or somplace else where it would fit in more.

Maybe the flight users are getting tired of these discussions. Haven't seen any of these type of threads in the FSX forum or X-plane forum.

Just a thought ^_^

I believe we are entering an era where computer capabilities is much higher of 10 years and not to mention 20 years, system resources are vast with some clever programming (I think) we can have plenty of resources for both pros and entries.

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Really? Glad you are not a mod.

The problem with a smaller develper is the lack of resources, kind of a catch 22 situation

Ummm...explain what his post contributed? No need for snide comments.

But yea it is a catch 22 situation which is why we can only hope that P3D turns out to be everything we want it to be (LM revealed they have some great plans for it this last week) or that Xplane expands to become more accessible to a wider variety of simmers. Given how big a task it is to make a flight sim it would seem unlikely that some random company is just going to come along and pop one out.

I still hold a hope that common sense will prevail, it is very clear from recent interviews that M.S. will not allow LM to produce a product for entertainment and have retained that right for themselves, hence LM's strange eula's, just how M.S. will get themselves back on track with another sim, only time will tell, but I wouldnt be a bit surprised if M.S. retains the right of access to whatever LM creates say in the upcoming version 2 and distribute that for entertainment purposes leaving LM to deal with the problems of "professionals" and M.S the beginners/hoipoloi.

like some prior contributors I dont see X plane becoming a major challenge for fsx for quite some time , if ever, and i also believe the financial investment required to produce something better than fsx from scratch, are too high for most especially with the current climate so that really leaves the slender chance that someone with a bit of savvy at M.S. , and there are precious few of them left there, will pick up the reigns and produce the next generation of fsim, however I wouldnt hold my breath as blue isnt my best colour!

Nigel.Porter

The question of will their be, and should their be, is an interesting one.

#1 the current evidence says no, but company's evolve. I can only go by my own experience of large corporations. Initially they are led by visionaries, then by safe hands. When profits tumble the finance people take over, at this point a company is usually in survival mode and new ideas are suppressed. Then the wheel turns. This is an extremely simplistic view, but the point is that large company's have their own micro climate which is by design difficult to predict. The issue is that this internal weather system changes slowly, so how long can the world wait for sunnier climes?

#2 of course, I'm not going to say no but I'm also extremely biased in this opinion. The question is not that the other players should get together to produce the next FS but can they? And will they? I think not.

What this community needs is some random event that gives it a kick up the proverbial rear which will then push it into a new series of opportunities. We feel, and have heard, that the Flight engine has huge possibilities. Just like the DOOM engine proved what was possible in FPS (look at what came after) the Flight engine has in its own way done the same. Progress is made by knowing that something works, this is then expanded on. The future of this hobby is indeed interesting as I believe there are new twists and turns ahead. The only problem is... we got to wait.

Bri

That brings me to the 2nd question. SHOULD THERE BE ANOTHER MSFS?

Hi Kevin, Microsoft may have pulled Flight to resurect Flight Simulator... You never know...

Flight started small, but growth was invisble, and not supported by the community

That's because MS locked out the community, the 3rd party developers freeware/payware which is what Flight needed to have a chance to succeed!

Hi Kevin, Microsoft may have pulled Flight to resurect Flight Simulator... You never know...

I think in this case Kevin knows, it's time to take the blinders off, as far as MS is concerned FS is dead to them. As Kevin said, it would need the support from upper management, which is no longer there in MS for any chance of a revival. In the current climate, that doesn't seem likely for a long time.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

1) Will there be another MSFS?

Yes. I think, like many things, someone at MSFS will revive the franchise. I don't think it will be in the next 5 years.

2) Should there be another MSFS?

It should. The quality of a Flight Sim done right is one of the things we love about the franchise. If a smaller dveloper can pull it off, then great, but I also do not forsee a sim program from a "small" developer that can accomodate the different wants from aviation enthusiasts.

Economically, I don't think a big developer cares if it can't make a big bottom line. Think about it: We (flight simmers) have demonstrated that we do have above average disposable income in our hobby, yet a company is saying they can't make a profit? That's scary. We have multiple users who hve home cockpits, thousands in addons (over time), bought brand new PCs... just to sim... but a company can't make a sizable enough profit? I know MS is huge, but I find it hard to beleive that cockpitless aircraft takes a lot of devlopment time. IMO, if people were buying DLC like that, you could have a source of steady income for low dev costs. (Without me knowing the actual DLC numbers, this is all specualtion, of course...)

I like the idea of some of the best addon developers coming together to make a flight sim work but that's a fantasy Ricardo Montalban could not provide. Furthermore in theory it sounds awesome, but just think of some of the behind the scenes antics with your favorite sports team or your favorite TV show... Egos can ruin the best team.

The most realisitc thing I can see for the near future is some FPS (First Person Shooter) engine being modified to become a moddable Flight Sim. I know there is precedence for the reverse, plus the FPS income would cover the costs of developement while the flight sim revenue would be icing on the cake. I think if there was a DX11, multicore optomized, constantly updated flight sim out there, then even premium DLC would be purchased liked hot cakes. So in this hypothetical scneario you could double dip on FPS DLC and Flight Sim DLC.

I know we have attrition of sorts, but my thinking is this: FA: ATP did not make me want to sim or be a RL pilot, looking at the clouds from above the roar of jets and the love of actually flying made me sim. In other words, people who sim, generally, love to fly. There will always be people who love the feeling. GA, Military, Airline... whatever. In that regard I don't think the amount interested will ever die off.

I find it hard to believe that FSX will be the last world Flight Sim, but it's really not looking too good in the short term. I'd feel a lot better if we even heard of a truly viable, optomized, "for entertainment" (i'd still take a chance on p3d v2 if its noticably better), flight sim announced, but it is not the case. So turn on your the fasten seatbelt sign, storm lights, and ride it out.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

You know, I wouldn't say that Microsoft shouldn't make FS11. I think they should. Flight fixed most concerns of FSX, and if Microsoft built an authentic simulator with Flight's engine, I think it would be a great result.

Though now I guess we're really not getting it.

Maybe this will finally put an end to all those threads about hope for Flight ( although somehow I doubt it ).

Looks like I was right. Nothing but talk about Flight resurrected - in the thread that was supposed to prove otherwise ! Dear oh dear.

I am STILL encouraging people that I know to try MS Flight. Some are very experienced simmers and some not. I just tell them to take it for what it's worth. And to me that is still quite a lot of value for what is available. I have been getting positive feed back even from long time RW pilots. Once they understand what detail is hiding just below the surface, they have fun with it. Really cheap entertainment right out of the box.