Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Support for FSX Has Come to an End

Just to understand:

If the full contents from FSX original CDs are copied to Hard Drive Folders ..ok.

Do you run an installer from the hard drive (folder disk1 .. FSX original disk1 contents) to do the re-install of FSX?

It has been a while since I installed from the disc copies but AIR I just ran the "setup.exe".

Looking at my two folders I only see 4 files in the DFSX Disk 2 folder..."autorun,inf", "DVD Check.exe",

"fsx.ico" and "vcredist_x86.exe".

In the FSX Disk 1 folder I have 69 files taking up 7.86 GB. What I MAY have done was to copy all the

CD 2 content into the FSX Disk 1 folder. In nany case, you will know when you make your copies.

As to the validation question, I have a new FSX Gold unopened box waiting for me to buy a new

laptop capable of running FSX so I can do development work and fly missions online with

the 91st Bombardment Group while I am away on my many extended trips around the planet.

I'm going to assume there will be no issues getting that validated.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I can't help it if Tom talking about slapping Allain got me and a few others all excited like! B)

Stephen, you know that Tom was not talking about butt slapping right :Shame On You: ....so there's nothing to get exited about... :Shocked:

Stephen - there's DX10 - it's a new sim!! Try it - you might like it!

All the Best,

pj

And I have just (a few days ago) purchased MSFX Gold and the Saitek

yoke, throttle, trim wheel and rudder pedals.

I only have some 10 hours on it. :-( or :-) :wub:

I don't understand, we are a lot of people, to play their simulator we have to buy Windows(US$100), the simulator ( +100 or more) and then we buy the expantion pack (+50 or more). And to top it all we have to buy some (US$50 to US$100) addons (so we can call it a simulator after spending US$250 or more) because the "simulator" alone doesn't suit our needs. They just had to fix some bugs, add some more realistic features, license some realistic addons, rebuild it, change the name and voila!, take a lot of money from us. After some time release a expantion pack, some addons and take more money from us. So i just don't understand.

Frankly, as a community, we've been on our own from Microsoft for a very long time. SP2 represented the end of the actual support and the mass firing of the entire Aces Studios represented the last act. The Microsoft decision a few months back to abort MS Flight simply added a huge question mark as to whether there will be anything from MS released in the future that can be called a PC simulator, or anything close to it.

Ken

I don't understand, we are a lot of people, to play their simulator we have to buy Windows(US$100), the simulator ( +100 or more) and then we buy the expantion pack (+50 or more). And to top it all we have to buy some (US$50 to US$100) addons (so we can call it a simulator after spending US$250 or more) because the "simulator" alone doesn't suit our needs. They just had to fix some bugs, add some more realistic features, license some realistic addons, rebuild it, change the name and voila!, take a lot of money from us. After some time release a expantion pack, some addons and take more money from us. So i just don't understand.

Paul Allen was the only reason Microsoft did anything for flying. The entire FS (and by association CFS) series was a direct result of Paul Allen's personal passion for aviation.

Frankly, ten years from now, folks still running FSX will realize they are still possessing the state of the art in affordable, personal, PC flight simulation.

And given that MS has a history of choosing to see their code die vice sell the source code to another company, you will not see a follow-on development to FSX either, much less a new FS version. Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D is the only thing that will exist in the future and it is not intended to be a personal game.

Ken

to play their simulator we have to

Wow there's hyperbole if I've ever seen it... way, way over the top.

So i just don't understand.

With a post like that... yes I understand.

Who doesn't have Windows? Ok some student at college or software developer (used to be the photography folks)... someone that put the OS above game compatibility and preferred Mac or Linux etc.

Family gave me the Standard Edition for Christmas 2006... what less than 50 bucks (35?) ? And I was very happy with that (missing Maule gauges and I would have hoped for better performance but :nea:). Acceleration the next October? For what like $35? And now together "Gold Edition" can be found for less than $30. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116553

I didn't buy my first add-on until 2008, and then only due to the MS Round-the-World-Race - to have a few mo' bettah race aircraft. Add-ons by no means necessary to enjoy FSX.

So Miguel... help me here: I don't understand your post. :-(

-Rob

Frankly, as a community, we've been on our own from Microsoft for a very long time. SP2 represented the end of the actual support

Yes... anyone around back then... when Phil Taylor was here (what a great guy he was)... Phil made that perfectly clear.

That is why I find the Microsoft statement about "ending support" very amusing.

As the old song goes...

"Oh the games people play now

Every night and every day now..."

"...'til they're covered up in flowers

In the back of a black limousine."

(A good description of FSX's current situation?)

Anyway, I'm scarcely surprised -- I figured M$ needed to free up as many tech support people as possible for the Windows 8 launch!

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Ref: Backup of FSX DVDs.

(1) Backing up to a hard Drive is a very poor backup media. Hard Drives CRASH !!

(2) The FSX DVDs are not "copy Protected" .. ie You can make a Backyp Copy (for your own backup use), with any decent DVD copy program ( like Nero).

(3) The Original Disks are far more likely to outlast any disks you BURN yourself, so if you do make a Backup, then USE the Backup Disks, and put the ORIGINAL disks away in a safe place.

(4) Should Microsoft stop FSX Activation at some time in the future, it will not be the end of the world.

Worry about that when and if it happens, - you won't be the only one facing that difficulty, and there will probably be a solution on "Google".

(5) Should Microsoft stop running the FSX "Real Weather" server at some time in the future, there is at least one FREE "Real Weather" program for FSX that you can use .. or for even better results, there are even better Payware "Real Weather" addons.

(6) Since FSX runs well on either XP 32, and Win 7 64, it will be many years before you will have issues re-installing an OS that will support FSX, so don't worry--

- The world will be a very different place by then, and being able to load FSX on a PC will be way low on your list of priorities !!

Today, you can still run MS FS1 on your XP or Win7 computer (with suitable "helper" software). It is difficult to imagine that you will not be able to run FSX on your computer in 20 years time .. but in 20 years time, it will probably look to you as if you are running FS1 !!

Activation??? That's odd. I've migrated FSX to 3 upgraded systems since I bought the product and have never had to call anybody to activate it. When MS abandoned MS Money they issued a "Sunset" edition which severed it's need to address MS servers, but it still works fine.

P3D will do just fine. Getting hung up on this licensing stuff is silly. It will be flourishing I bet when V2 drops. XP10 has a lot to refine before I even entertain dropping FSX.

That's like saying:

Piracy is fine. Getting hung up on this licensing stuff is silly.

It's the same thing:

-If you violate the EULA by using the product for entertainment purposes, you forfeit your right to use the software.

-If you use a pirated copy, you're also in violation of the EULA and have no right to use the software.

You might as well just download a copy of P3D somewhere then, because you're using it without a valid license anyway.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Oh give me a break if you want to make that silly leap that's on you. People using P3D can in now way be compared to pirates. Get off your high horse.

You might as well just download a copy of P3D somewhere then, because you're using it without a valid license anyway.

Speechless... So if I crack a smile while using P3D, I might as well start hitting my local flea market and start buying bootlegged movies?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

I figured M$ needed to

Sorry to go OT here... well... not so much...

I thought we're done with that Microsoft insult here?

I'll tell you... every time I see that stupid M$ and think about the billions Bill & Melinda Gates have given to their foundation... or the number of people he (Bill) and Buffet have encouraged to sign "The Giving Pledge" (http://givingpledge.org/)... or e.g. Paul Allen and his charitable giving... I get so :t0105:

So Walley (or anyone else who likes use that juvenile slam)... when you get to point where you have given more than $30 billion of you wealth to philanthropic causes... sure... feel free then to use the M$ insult.

Sorry to go OT here... well... not so much...

I thought we're done with that Microsoft insult here?

I'll tell you... every time I see that stupid M$ and think about the billions Bill & Melinda Gates have given to their foundation... or the number of people he (Bill) and Buffet have encouraged to sign "The Giving Pledge" (http://givingpledge.org/)... or e.g. Paul Allen and his charitable giving... I get so :t0105:

So Walley (or anyone else who likes use that juvenile slam)... when you get to point where you have given more than $30 billion of you wealth to philanthropic causes... sure... feel free then to use the M$ insult.

LOL I agree 100%.

It's normal now for people to demonize those that have, had or make lots of money.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Oh give me a break if you want to make that silly leap that's on you. People using P3D can in now way be compared to pirates. Get off your high horse.

Speechless... So if I crack a smile while using P3D, I might as well start hitting my local flea market and start buying bootlegged movies?

No no no, it's not about piracy or craking a smile, it's mainly about what's written in red below from a well crafted post (#93).

Statement from Rockfile..

snapback.pngRockliffe, on 19 September 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

there is P3D and to be honest I'm getting a frustrated at guys banging on about the licensing and that it cannot be used for entertainment purposes.

Answer from Aaron.

Quote"

You mean like LM? They are the one's saying it. It's just that some choose to actually listen to it while others find ways to reconcile it to themselves to reach their desired outcome. People get upset when you insinuate there is a similarity between not paying for the license and not following the usage that it covers. How does that work? If you decide you aren't going to adhere to the EULA, then how do you know which license to buy? Whatever is cheapest?

At any rate, those that have found their happy place with their use of a license that doesn't apply to them will always be ok with that and the rest is merely idle chit chat. Plus I'm a bit off topic with the discussion anyway. I just get frustrated with the constant droning that P3D is Flight Sim's savior. In my opinion it isn't. Not unless license coverage is meaningless to you.