Sign in to follow this  
Anthony1968

Earth Simulations half price sale

Any thoughts on quality? Any recommendations?

- Aaron

The combination of treescapes, vfr airfields and Gen-X scenery is fantastic, I have the entire Ireland scenery and some of U.K. It works out fairly expensive though when you compare it to OrbX which improves airfields, and trees etc all in one package. One thing that really bugs me about Horizon's Gen-X ( and I've said it elsewhere here) is it renders GPS terrain visuals useless, no coastlines, elevations etc.just blue tiles. It doesn't affect navigation in any way but I thought I would point that out.

I've also purchased Alderney and Guernsey from Earth Sims, you get the entire scenery similar to OrbX and it looks fantastic. I can't wait for Jersey to complete the package.

One thing that really bugs me about Horizon's Gen-X ( and I've said it elsewhere here) is it renders GPS terrain visuals useless, no coastlines, elevations etc.just blue tiles. It doesn't affect navigation in any way but I thought I would point that out.

Hello Anthony,

I've been contemplating buying this now with the sale but I am wondering if you can explain further what you mean by this comment? Is it possible maybe to post a screenshot?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Hello Anthony,

I've been contemplating buying this now with the sale but I am wondering if you can explain further what you mean by this comment? Is it possible maybe to post a screenshot?

Check out this review, many of the issues raised have been fixed but if look at the images below you will see the FSX map with a blue square instead of terrain. The same effect is replicated in the GPS map.

http://www.mutleysha...letman/genx.htm

Having said all that I think I'll cough up for this one ( not Earth Simulations website you'll note), I'll also get Treescapes 5 for free.

http://www.playsimspublishing.com/titles/v5fsx.html

I'd say the quality of the aerial photography used is very good, but unfortunately their Gen-X photoscenery line doesn't come with auto-gen, which make it quite a bare experience. The landscape can be enhanced by buying extra treescapes, and there are some excellent airfield collections too.

However, the elephant in the room is probably the upcoming OrbX U.K. scenery. No doubt it will blow the socks off Gen-X.

I have picked up Guernsey which has a descent size airport and already includes lots of 3d objects and trees. A word of warning though, installing this will inflate your autogen/default.xml to a huge size, quite possibly crashing you back to desktop if you already have some add-ons expanding default autogen. So keep a copy of those files in case things go south. I made a little batch file switch between my regular default.xml and a special guernsey one which I'll only use for this scenery. If you have a high end machine it's quite stunning though, well worth the discounted price.

I'm actually running it on Prepar3d, they have a bit of a how-to guide on the website which is the usual copy sound/effects/texture job and manually add scenery references. Had to figure out myself APX47140.bgl (default guernsey airport) needs disabling too, but it works without a problem now.

However, the elephant in the room is probably the upcoming OrbX U.K. scenery.

Agreed, which is why I'll hold off buying anymore "mainland" UK scenery for now and just invest in the peripheral areas.

However, the elephant in the room is probably the upcoming OrbX U.K. scenery. No doubt it will blow the socks off Gen-X.

Possibly...but OrbX is only partially photoreal, isn't it? At least their other areas are I believe. So it won't be exactly what you'd see looking out the window with them. Plus, you have to install their scenery manager thing(forgot what it's called now). Isn't there also then an issue flying into and out of their regions?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

FTX Central is no big deal. Its just a control panel to turn features on or off and to switch regions when required.

You only have to switch if you fly from one region to another. For instance a flight from Australia to North America would require switching.

But in all honesty, Orbx is more appealing to the GA or regional turborpop airline pilot than it is the heavies. I dont think I would waste my $ on scenery like FTX if I was going to be stuck at 35,000 feet most of the time. I think a GEX/UTX combo is more than adequate for this type of flying. (and easier on the FPS too which is important if you are using the complex airliner addons like the PMDG stuff)

Earth Simulations Islands are quite good but their airports are not. They use default runway and taxiway... Its an eyesore. I have Guernsey and I don't fly there anymore. So its a waste for me. This is for flight sim after all.. you need an airport to land on that needs to be good.

If Orbx would do the airports for these Islands then togehter they would be awesome...but then you are now paying an arm and a leg for a very small area.

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Are you sure Guernsey airport hasn't been upgraded by them meanwhile? It looks pretty enhanced to me.