Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

REX Essential Plus and Overdrive are ready!

I think the size is the only thing at the moment holding me back. I also have both OPUS and REXE, but as I love the texture of REXE, and love the weather now from OPUS....I think I will wait on some reviews after a couple weeks of people use and see what really is or isn't fixed before I download another small country onto my computer.

before I download another small country onto my computer.

2TB disks FTW! ^_^

I don't know what Opus did but I always had problems with "FSX visability banding issues" when using REX2 and REXE, have never seen them after i got Opus. Have not tried the REXE SP1 yet so maybe that's fixed now?. It was this thread about them that got me into buying Opus http://forum.avsim.net/topic/389429-can-opus-fix-this/.

What I also like is the simplicity of Opus, and not having to worry about all the options and configurations.

Hehe seems like everytime there is a thread about weather these days It turns into a Opus vs "" discussion, even in a thread about a REX release. Not so strange that some "journalist" thinks there is a Opus conspiracy going on :lol:

Yes if you download fresh from the flightsim store you bought.

EDIT: Not all, only REX Ess+. Overdrive you would still have to get it from REX forums.

Is there a patch I can get to limit the download size? I have Rex essential installed. Why don't they just put overdrive and plus together? So much confusion.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I think that 'banding' is caused by setting this option to on. That's on the cloud screen.

Enable Realistic Haze Layer- Enabling this option is another feature users requested to have control over. Initially we have disabled this feature in FSX as it’s viewed as more of a nuisance rather than a usable ‘feature’. Although this will create hard edges when intersecting with terrain, and cause a ‘cloud-type’ formation to follow the aircraft, for certain IFR conditions this will help immerse the user.

From the description, it seems like the REX devs only made it available by request. Hence the notes on the downsides.

I left it off after reading the manual's text but I think that some folks skip the manual and react to the term 'realistic'. Means they will set it on and then wonder how that banding takes place. Now that's just guesswork of mine.

On the issue itself, I never saw it so far.

I have Rex essential installed. Why don't they just put overdrive and plus together?

That's what they actually did with the upgrade packages in the forums. :mellow: That's how I've upgraded.

I tried to disable the Realistic Haze layer option but it never fixed the issue for me...

...and see what really is or isn't fixed before I download another small country onto my computer.

I've mentioned this several times, but once more won't hurt I guess.

If you go to the REX website and choose the option to DL the upgrade from your current REX-E to REX-E plus, you WILL NOT have to DL textures. The DL is not that big and does not take that long. If you do what everyone else seems to be doing and DL either a full new install or the upgrade to OD then yes, it's big and take forever.

I chose to wait on OD (which is just additional textures) so that I could try the new features of Plus ASAP. I'll DL the OD update later after things have calmed down.

Scott

I tried to disable the Realistic Haze layer option but it never fixed the issue for me...

I wonder which texture is used for it. I recall that my Hifi addons also replaced that FSX default layer. One could check if it's really disabled/replaced then.

I wonder which texture is used for it

CoolP,I think the relevant file is,the cirrus_overcast03.bmp,located in the FSX Texture folder.

Regards.

If you have support issues or need further assistance with download problems:

Please contact us at our forum: www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums

In regards to the current slow downloads we are trying to address those issues as fast as we can.

If you are having problems configuring or installing REX we are offering a free training class tomorrow at 19Z on GoTo Meeting.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21896-training-session-1-installation-and-configuration/

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I think the size is the only thing at the moment holding me back. I also have both OPUS and REXE, but as I love the texture of REXE, and love the weather now from OPUS....I think I will wait on some reviews after a couple weeks of people use and see what really is or isn't fixed before I download another small country onto my computer.

Hey William,

Im going to check out the overfrive stuff too to see what its like. Fyi you can use rex textures and just have Opus as the weather engine if you want, perhaps best of both worlds.

Regards,

Alex Malek

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

I tried that today but there is a problem with my account could you have a look please.

User name Nyxx

Verified member btw

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

And that's why I love OpusFSX so much!!! I just did a 90 nm VFR flight and flew through various conditions during that short flight (slightly hazy with a few clouds, thunderstorms, low level clouds, blue sky with a few clouds) and everytime the weather in the far away distance was actually there when I arrived at the spot and it stayed there when I flew through it and when I passed it. No disappearing stuff but one big huge 'theatrical stage' with detailed weather as far as the eye can see that does NOT change into something completely different when you get close. Absolutely awesome. (You can see pics of that flight here.) And nothing beats the speed of OpusFSX too. It start in a few seconds and loads the weather just as fast. It's so wonderful to take off with a rather clear sky and to see huge cloud formations near the horizon and to see them becoming bigger and bigger until you enter them... wonderful stuff. ^_^

But er... this topic was about REX... sorry... :rolleyes:

But Opus doesn't come with textures like REX...correct? If so, how do you make sure you are using the right textures for the type of weather you are flying in?

I know there are many updates coming soon which will ' improve ' upon it's platform BUT I hope it doesn't morph itself into another " Setting's Buffet "

Amen to that, was thinking the same thing, "load n go" is what I like.

If you just use REX for textures is their any point in bothering with this somewhat complicated upgrade?

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."