Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

REX Essential Plus and Overdrive are ready!

Hi Tim,

I know this is not the right forum, but I have been trying to get access to the members REX forum and cannot get in. I suppose I will need a new password but my email address on record is an old one no longer in use. Can you assist?

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

How's the overcast situation compared to OPUS?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hi Tim,

I know this is not the right forum, but I have been trying to get access to the members REX forum and cannot get in. I suppose I will need a new password but my email address on record is an old one no longer in use. Can you assist?

Cheers, Pete

Im having al9l sorts of problems too, I can log in but have no permissions to view anything or post for support.

Please post screenshots of your selected options. There are so many to choose from (not textures but weather) that we need some guidance on a reasonable setup.

For what it's worth. This is how the Maddog currently likes it. Maybe it serves for a starting setup for you.

clipboard01hix.th.jpg

clipboard02mp.th.jpg

clipboard03g.th.jpg

clipboard04ei.th.jpg

Notes. Mind the VATSIM option if you want to keep in sync with them. I also have the FSUIPC weather smoothing running as all my other weather addons and the former REX engine were in need of it.

If you are using the new weather mode which came with REX Ess Plus, you get rid of some options (namely the interpolation stuff) and also receive a very fast weather injection. So I highly recommend using the WX PLUS MODE. It works fine so far.

Of course, the manual always is a good read when it comes to the ups and downs of the options. My understanding is that the severity of the smoothing impacts the accuracy, hence my notion to keep it enabled but not at full scale. Take the visibility for example. The option sticks to the METAR alone. Enabling the other checkmark would cause it to leave that path for the sake of smoother transitions.

On the clouds, I was flying from KPHL to KTPA and had some enroute medium and heavy precipitation on the radar (REX weather screen). While being at FL360, I saw a nice cloud deck under my plane just in that area. So, in sim terms, it looks really good and reasonable so far.

Did I mention that even the older Rex Essential drew the best thunderstorms I ever saw in FSX? One could really see 'don't go there'. :lol: Well, try your luck. I hope the setup helps a bit. I would not, by any means, call it a reference though.

Let us know how you like it then. Good or bad. :smile:

I forgot to add that I left the 'green message bar' option on intentionally. It serves as a good check of the REX to sim connection, especially on networked setups. It has no influence on the actual weather injection process.

I´d love to updare but it seems that I can´t get an reasonable download speed. 16h download is a bit too long, even with my bad 2 Mbit connection.

Finally downloaded. Dont expect any fast downloads. Took about 10 hours with an average of about 150kb/sec

Curious to now see how the upgrade goes and then to compare the accuracy and wind shifts to the other weather engine I use.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Sorry to hear about the bad download speeds. They were really good back when starting the thread. But I saw Jay posting that some folks seem to download all upgrade packages, not only 4gb, but way more. I don't know the reason for this, it doesn't make sense, but this will increase the load a lot.

For checking, which download is the right one for you, read here. http://www.realenvir...e-announcement/

Did you folks already try picking the 'wrong' server and things? And make sure to use a download tool if possible. Means some browser addon, a download manager. This helps with resuming downloads and managing the load.

Well, I think the next days will bring some relief on the servers, so join the club and report whenever you are ready. :smile:

My goodness... what's in a name... Real Environment Xtreme Essential Plus Overdrive... In a year or two, three we will have Real Environment Xtreme Essential Plus Overdrive Extra Deluxe Crucial Principal Capital Abnormal Extensial

:LMAO:

Seems as if mine is broken. Everything is smooshed in the window, I tried to post this in the REX Essentials forum, but they wont let me upload a screen shot. I can't pick textures or really do anything.

Try changing your DPI setting to 100%. I had the same problem and it turned out the default DPI on my laptop was 125%

For checking, which download is the right one for you, read here.

Great advice. Something else to consider for now - hold off on upgrading to OD. I DL'ed the upgrade from REX-E to REX-E Plus so that I could get going and try out the new WX engine. The DL for that is relatively small and didn't take too long. I'll do the OD thing later when the servers are a bit less stressed.

So far, I like what I see. I could never get the REX-E wx engine working reliably after trying pretty much every published fix and workaround and basically gave up on the engine, just using REX textures while waiting for the updates. Tonight after updating, everything worked very well. Have much experimenting and comparing to do, but happy so far.

Scott

Im having al9l sorts of problems too, I can log in but have no permissions to view anything or post for support.

I'm having the same problem, I cant search or view my own profile. I get an error message that I don't have permission. I can post a message though.

ottor

Can't they get a torrent file going for registered and authenticated users? That way downloads can also be paused and resumed.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering