Sign in to follow this  
pilotguy03

WoAI Shutting Down 30 April 2013!

If you have all the packages installed already, just back up a few FS9 folders and you can personally have the WOAI files forever. You won't even need the installer program.

Thanks for the HU. I don't get all this discussion.

Just download all the stuff and and installer and your set to go. I could careless about debating the in's and out's of copywrite and whether the stuff is old or not. It's just a simulation game and these are great packages.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Yep, gonna havr to spend a day off and download all of it. I have a 2TB passport hard drive so no worries on storage.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

There are some torrent files available, just do a google search. In the mean time is there an alternative to use with vatsim?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

While I do understand that. Its freeware I mean who cares really its not like the devs are making money off it.

He's just pointing out that freeware doesn't mean that one can do what he wants with it. If the author sets up conditions and if those are enforceable then they apply. Just because something can be downloaded for free doesn't mean that there aren't any legal bindings involved.

Even if people don't care to enforce their rights, they can. And that's the point. So there's a morale and a legal side to look at, so to speak. On the morale one, I would always ask the author if I'm allowed to use or distribute his stuff. Playing fair that is. :smile:

He's just pointing out that freeware doesn't mean that one can do what he wants with it. If the author sets up conditions and if those are enforceable then they apply. Just because something can be downloaded for free doesn't mean that there aren't any legal bindings involved.

Even if people don't care to enforce their rights, they can. And that's the point. So there's a morale and a legal side to look at, so to speak. On the morale one, I would always ask the author if I'm allowed to use or distribute his stuff. Playing fair that is. :smile:

Yes I get this. You're right on.

Near CAM3

I think copyright in general is ridiculous at times. So this group share something with the community for years to the point that lots of people are enjoying and benefiting from it. Then for some obscure and selfish reason they decide to pull it all down and then expect everyone is just going to respect that and stop using their packages happily?? Sorry but authors shouldn't be allowed to do this sort of thing. I don't use these packages but if I did I wouldn't stop on account of their "rights" as the authors. I say we, as the community, have a moral right to continue to access this software, even if they don't want to host it on their own domains any longer.

I think copyright in general is ridiculous at times. So this group share something with the community for years to the point that lots of people are enjoying and benefiting from it. Then for some obscure and selfish reason they decide to pull it all down and then expect everyone is just going to respect that and stop using their packages happily?? Sorry but authors shouldn't be allowed to do this sort of thing. I don't use these packages but if I did I wouldn't stop on account of their "rights" as the authors. I say we, as the community, have a moral right to continue to access this software, even if they don't want to host it on their own domains any longer.

Yes, but you are still forgetting one thing. They made, and own 100% of all the files on there.

You can't just 'demand' they leave them up? They can do whatever they want with them. Every developer has 100% the right to do it. That's the beauty of a free market and country!

What I meant is that if you give something away why worry about copyright or pulling it from the user I mean I made addons for virtual sailor back in the day and at times I saw others claiming on a few site that they made my ships but idc because I put it on the free market I look at it this way if you ain't taking money from me I could careless. but that's me its their work their choice I just don't see the point off pulling freeware a

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Yes, but you are still forgetting one thing. They made, and own 100% of all the files on there.

You can't just 'demand' they leave them up? They can do whatever they want with them. Every developer has 100% the right to do it. That's the beauty of a free market and country!

LOL no I haven't forgotten that they "own" the files but I don't believe it matters in the slightest. As soon as they share it it becomes a public interest and in my mind we have a right to continue to use it. I know that isn't the law's interpretation of things but laws surrounding software use are antiquated and silly in so many ways.

No one is getting ripped off by people's continued use of this. These WOAI guys are being incredibly selfish. After reading the message on their site it looks like they just got tired of FS, don't want to develop for it anymore and now think that gives them leave to order everyone around the internet and in the community to pull all their hosted files and uninstall the packages from their system. Sorry matey, no way. They could at least leave them up here at Avsim.

If i'm not mistaken, many or most of the models orginate from AI Aardvark, so who does own the models, they world of AI are repaints of models available from others.

Near CAM3

Not exactly. WOAI didn't make the models of the a/c used in the packages and they didn't make the flight plans. All WOAI does is get permission from the people who made the models and the flight plans and bundled them into packages that were easy to use and install via their own installer. Thats the reason some packages, like FedEx were pulled in the past, because the author/developer who made the FedEx package, paints, or flightplans requested to them that they no longer distribute their work.

And if you developed an FS addon, uploaded it to a community site, then down the road decided to pull it because you didn't want it shared or distibuted anymore, then found links where people where still distributing your work against your wishes, I bet you would be furious and probably the one raising hell and threating legal action.

Its easy to make your remarks when its not your work, but I bet if you were on the other side of the coin you would make exactly the opposite remarks you made here.

If i'm not mistaken, many or most of the models orginate from AI Aardvark, so who does own the models, they world of AI are repaints of models available from others.

Yes, the models come from AIA, CDAI, DJC, EVAI, FSP, HTAI, PAI, The Fruit Stand, etc. Actually they dont distribute EVAI Evolve AI anymore becuase they requested their models be pulled from the WOAI packages.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

And if you developed an FS addon, uploaded it to a community site, then down the road decided to pull it because you didn't want it shared or distibuted anymore, then found links where people where still distributing your work against your wishes, I bet you would be furious and probably the one raising hell and threating legal action.

Its easy to make your remarks when its not your work, but I bet if you were on the other side of the coin you would make exactly the opposite remarks you made here.

You should be careful about the assumptions you make against people who you've never met and know nothing about. I wouldn't even waste my time chasing up people sharing my work in the way you have just mentioned. If they are getting enjoyment from it, great! Why would I want to restrict it? I've got better things to do with my life and, unlike some, my view is that we should create for enjoyment.