Sign in to follow this  
chuchu40

ORBX versus REX, UTX, GEX ect.

what does ORBX have to offer that the others dont? i cant figure out which one to buy? which one has better graphics and such? any suggestions? thx

Orbx has better detail, better landclass, better small airports. The Orbx areas are visually stunning, especially if you fly low and slow. UTX + GEX cover much larger areas and cover places that Orbx will never do. UTX Alaska and Tropics and Caribbean are "must haves" in my opinion. If you like to fly areas outside the Orbx areas, like middle and eastern US, central Alaska and the Caribbean, you want the UTX products. They do a terrific job with the terrain and airports. In Orbx territory, like central and northern Rockies, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Fjords, you want the Orbx products. They are really in a class of their own, but far more limited in coverage than UTX and GEX

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

Chk out some videos of Orbx and UTX or GTX and you will see the difference. If you are GA only, Orbx is the best. REX is for sky, water, clouds (mostly) while the others are ground, terrain etc.

great info..thanks guys you really narrowed it down for me. since i rather try and fly everywhere i can, i'm going with UTX and GEX :)

Instead of GEX I'd wait for ORBX FTX Global. ORBX has better textures for nature in my opinion. GEX is as good as ORBX for farmland and cities.

UTX is a must for good road, river, lake and coastline coverage.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

If you can swing the money (always an important factor) you need Orbx, GEX, UTX, and regular landclass scenery for areas covered by GEX & UTX. Orbx is art, not just scenery. Most of the Orbx airports (payware and freeware both) are even better art than default Orbx. Saying Orbx is just a scenery program is like calling the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel merely decorated plaster.

what does ORBX have to offer that the others dont? i cant figure out which one to buy? which one has better graphics and such? any suggestions? thx

-REX are environmental textures (clouds, sky etc.)

-UTX is rivers, roads, lakes and coastlines and some urban landclass data

-GEX is custom landclass textures and autogen annotation only

Orbx is roads, rivers, lakes, coastlines, glaciers, mud banks, custom, hand-placed rural and urban landclass data, custom landclass textures, custom autogen textures, custom autogen annotations, custom autogen objects, custom elevation mesh and enhanced and corrected airports, all thrown into the same package but covering smaller areas than e.g. UTX.

If you have the money, you basically want all four - OrbX where coverage is available, GEX+UTX where no OrbX coverage is available yet, and REX for enhanced clouds and environmental effects.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

for what it is worth I have deleted all my gex and utx off my HD and am awaiting ftx global and their southern alaska and nor cal region packs. I did this because utx looks old too me and I did not like gabled textures on flat roofs in gex. If I fly any where outside of any orbx region,of which I own all of them, it is usually at 26 agl or more so default fsx works for me until ftx global is released . the screenshots on their website look awesome.

I would wait

for what it is worth I have deleted all my gex and utx off my HD and am awaiting ftx global and their southern alaska and nor cal region packs. I did this because utx looks old too me and I did not like gabled textures on flat roofs in gex. If I fly any where outside of any orbx region,of which I own all of them, it is usually at 26 agl or more so default fsx works for me until ftx global is released . the screenshots on their website look awesome.

I would wait

good idea...thx

I would wait

FTX Global is a replacement for GEX, not for UTX. It does not include vector data (roads etc.) or landclass data. Outside of OrbX regions, you'll want either UTX+GEX or UTX+FTX Global.

What does FTX Global NOT include?
  • Geographical and vector data (roads, rivers, coastlines, elevation mesh)
  • Full hand-crafted landclass and polygon landclass
  • Unique ground textures native to the area you're flying in
  • Upgraded airports everywhere
  • Traffic on all major roads (only default FSX traffic)
  • Extensive custom modelled POIs like power stations, windfarms, stadiums, photoreal areas etc

http://www.orbxsyste...leased-in-2013/

The textures will probably look better than GEX, with denser autogen (and lower frame rates).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I would wait

two quick things: ftx global, aside from a few small corrections will not have river and coastline data, ftx global should be a complement to them, not a replacement. The Gabled roof texture thing is not a GEX problem at all, it's normally an issue with ORBX FTX central incorrectly copying and restoring autogen texture files. I've had this issue in the past, and Holger was able to send me the files to correct the problem over at the FTX forum. log a support tkt over there, and they will get you squared away.