Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B777ER

Aivlasoft EFB Questions

So thinking about getting this but have a few questions. Can you use this as a stand alone chart viewer? Or do you have to have it integrated with fsx? If it had to be integrated, how does it affect fsx with respect to that 4GB memory limit? Really don't want anything else eating away over what I currently have eating away towards that 4gb OOM issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I don't use it as a chart viewer at all...it'll display a map that approximates the plan view on an approach chart, but it does not display jepp plates.

It runs external to FSX and communicates via Simconnect, so it has its own VAS memory space that does not eat into the VAS allocated to FSX.

Regards

Yes, you can use it as a standalone chart viewer, fsx does not to be running. However, it is not as detailed as a Jepp chart, but does draw its data from whatever airac cycle you have installed so the routes and sids and stars are accurate. There should be some screen shots of the various types of charts (departure, enroute, arrival and approach) on their website. It does have a neat feature where you can look at all the sids and stars. This makes choosing one a lot simpler.

I wouldn't recommend it as a chart viewer. As mentioned it takes its data from navigraph and misses stuff on some charts like altitude crossing restrictions.

I use it as a primary source of descent planning but if it misses approach plate info I use aircharts.org as a backup source.

It's other major benefit is airport navigation and gate number referencing.

I will say though, that the approach plates for runways have all most all the info you find on the real chart, minus maybe some misc data such as obstacles and etc.

I've tried fscommander, FSTramp, DBS airport GPS, fswidgets' efb, and navigraph's NDAC viewer.

In the end aivlasoft has the most streamlined and comprehensive navigational aid package.

Imo, the only thing above it would be jeppesen's efb package airlines buy for their commercial pilots.

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

Airac cycle? Navigraph? Where is EFB getting its info from, one or the other or both, or are they both the same? lol...

How do you know what version of what you have installed and how do you update them/it?

Can you tell I'm real good at this.. :P

Navigation databases are updated every 28 days. Each 28 day period is called an Airac cycle. In real world, I should only use the latest released cycle.

Now where can one get the updated Navdata for each cycle? You can buy each cycle from either Navigraph or AeroSoft (NavData Pro).

Hope this helps (without explaining all the things that are included in the Navdata)!

Airac cycle? Navigraph? Where is EFB getting its info from, one or the other or both, or are they both the same? lol...

How do you know what version of what you have installed and how do you update them/it?

Can you tell I'm real good at this.. :P

And Navigraph has a self installer, just make sure you use the one for Aivlasoft.

I do not recommend this one. If you want more realism, just stick to real world charts. Aivlasoft EFB use Navigraph AIRAC to "create" charts, and your FMC does the same. I can't see the reason to use this EFB.

Ah haaa, so Airac is the actual 28 day cycle of Navigraph data? That makes more sense... Cheers guys..

I just registered at Navigraph.com and see there are 2 sets, 1 for EFB and 1 set for the PMDG,, so if flying the NGX, and using EFB, I assume I would need both, 1 to make sure FSX/EFB is up to date and the other to make sure the PMDG FMC is up to date and matching it... Is that about right? (All assumed from my lack of knowing what I am doing)

David, I really like EFB, its a lot more "Visual" than just a bunch of numbers in a little calculator (FMC) lol

I like the moving map too, and the airport maps... Maybe it just doesn't float your boat, but oh well... Horses for courses huh..

I use it every time I fly alongside the jepp charts. It's very good although as stated above does occasionally miss things.

It's a good quick reference and helps greatly with you situational awareness!

Thanks for the answers. So to be sure this application is a standalone and does not use up any fsx resources or memory? I run a single computer with two monitor setup. I plan on having it on the second monitor

Thanks for the answers. So to be sure this application is a standalone and does not use up any fsx resources or memory? I run a single computer with two monitor setup. I plan on having it on the second monitor

You could run it from a networked PC if you so wished it.

EFB has two components. The data connector, and the EFB program itself. The connector will sit on the same machine as FSX - then you could install the EFB program wherever you want, but also works on the same machine. And yes I can confirm it doesn't affect FSXs memory usage.

I have the same setup, and it works perfectly.

I do not recommend this one. If you want more realism, just stick to real world charts. Aivlasoft EFB use Navigraph AIRAC to "create" charts, and your FMC does the same. I can't see the reason to use this EFB.

Airport navigation (gates/ramps, taxiways, runways and headings), quick approach plate referencing, comprehensive SID/STAR overviews for individual airports, moving map, wind indicator, online traffic integration (AI, VATSIM, IVAO), VATSIM/IVAO integration (boundary lines, real time tunable available frequencies), weather/metar/taf lookup.....

There is plenty this efb does besides just reference chart data.

Airport navigation (gates/ramps, taxiways, runways and headings), quick approach plate referencing, comprehensive SID/STAR overviews for individual airports, moving map, wind indicator, online traffic integration (AI, VATSIM, IVAO), VATSIM/IVAO integration (boundary lines, real time tunable available frequencies), weather/metar/taf lookup.....

Wow, that does do a lot. Ginna have to get it.

I know that. It has really a lot of functions, but don't use it as primary navigation reference. It's for situational awareness only.

TOC and TOD calculation based on adjustable flight path angle, automatic flight logging, safe altitudes on charts, color codes for surrounding airports with or without instrument approach, remaining endurance prediction, heading to the nearest user selected enroute alternate and user customizable check lists.

Also having a moving aircraft on the approach plate (both top down and side view a.k.a descent path) helps in all too familiar situation where FSX ILS is missing or "INOP".

I might forget something but these help a lot :)

First time using it today. I noticed in the process manager it is using about 500MB of memory. Just want to make sure this memory that it uses its not part of the 4GB limit that limits fsx? I only have 6GB of RAM for my computer which has W7 and fsx on separate drives. Just want to get this figured out during the 30 day trial.

I use EFb for all my flight planning. Its great at displaying SIDS and STARS on a map. Also tracks your plane and has winds. It might not be proper enough for some people but I find that its very easy to use and has a clear interface, especially on an ipad.

The only issue I have atm is that it cant display traffic. The TRFC button is greyed out. Can anyone help.

About the traffic. You have to tell which kind of traffic you want to be displayed. I think it might have been said here that AI, Vatsim and IVAO traffic is supported.

Just go to the EFB setting and choose the traffic you want. Then the button will be enabled for you.

About the traffic. You have to tell which kind of traffic you want to be displayed. I think it might have been said here that AI, Vatsim and IVAO traffic is supported.

Just go to the EFB setting and choose the traffic you want. Then the button will be enabled for you.

I am not seeing online vatsim traffic whe in ground mode. Any ideas? Moving map is enabled.

I am not seeing online vatsim traffic whe in ground mode. Any ideas? Moving map is enabled.

You have the online traffic box checked in the options? As well as pressing the TRFC button in the dark grey menu bar at the bottom of the map?

Also, are you trying this with the NGX?

You have the online traffic box checked in the options? As well as pressing the TRFC button in the dark grey menu bar at the bottom of the map?

Also, are you trying this with the NGX?

Yes, yes and yes. To be clear I'm talking about seeing online traffic in EFB's ground map.

I hope the answer is yes, but have you clicked the TRFC button also in the ground view so that the button has yellow edges around it (meens it activated). This selection is not global, meaning that it can be disabled/enabled for each view separately.

I that's not the case. I'm starting to run out of ideas.