Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matthew Kane

RIP - to the Canadians lost in Antartica

I was following this story for the past few days but didn't post on here. The latest reports are that they didn't survive. New Zealand was heading up the Search and Rescue and when they did find the wreckage of the Twin Otter, it has been found spread out on a mountain side.

Reports are saying no hope for survivors after days of waiting and prayer. Lost in the wreckage was pilot Bob Heath, a legend in the aviation industry

RIP to the Canadians lost in this tragic event

Very sad. A reminder that aviation is not always routine.

Sad to hear. How many people were on board?

RIP gentlemen. Big loss

Here's a post from Bob Heath on the AvCanada site to give an idea of what flying Twin Otters down south is like. His user name there was "just curious".

http://www.avcanada....ssing the drake

And another video of his flying.

Sad to hear. How many people were on board?

3 crew, pilot, co-pilot and mechanic.

Very very sad indeed, may they rest in peace.

They are saying he was on course but may have made a wrong turn too soon into the side of the mountain.

Weather may have been poor or whiteout conditions at the time or perhaps a sector whiteout event.

The crash site is very remote on a steep side of the mountain at about 13,000 feet, RCCNZ will try to retrieve the bodies but I don't think they will be able to conduct an investigation in those conditions.

The crash site is very remote on a steep side of the mountain at about 13,000 feet, RCCNZ will try to retrieve the bodies but I don't think they will be able to conduct an investigation in those conditions.

Because of weather and location of the crash, recovery of remains will be delayed until next Antarctic research season which starts in October 2013.

RJ

Very tragic indeed. My thoughts are with the families.