Sign in to follow this  
Guest Helen_P

A short look at MegaScenery Earth 2.0 (Flying over Dover, DE)

Nice video Helen! I liked it so much I purchased the Delaware scenery hoping that I could spot the house I lived at in Newark. But that was 40 yrs ago...He%20He.gif

lolololol, people bashing this stuff.

And... who's doing that?

No bashing here. When photoscenery is done well and shown at its best, it's amazing. If you're saying there's not a downside, though... sorry. The world is so rarely about best/not best, and so often about tradeoffs and what's most important to you in considering those tradeoffs.

Scott

lolololol, people bashing this stuff. Stereo 3d at 1500 agl the roads look like they over and underpasses on them. Have to try it with tricycle aircraft then my typical C-172 Carendo I use for this.

Wasn't bashing. Delaware is well known for its vast chicken population. Occasionally, they have a big breakout. LOL. And I'm a big photoscenery fan! I have NC and SC so far.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

And... who's doing that?

No bashing here. When photoscenery is done well and shown at its best, it's amazing. If you're saying there's not a downside, though... sorry. The world is so rarely about best/not best, and so often about tradeoffs and what's most important to you in considering those tradeoffs.

Scott

And... who's doing that?

Scott

The more upside than downside with photo-scenery. Mid-range computers can handle photo-scenery fine. Airports with 100,000 polygons are nice for 2 seconds for takeoff, with photo-scenery it always changes. We all have different flying likes and styles and guitar playing to me is the exact same way one likes blues and other likes death metal.

Nice video, thanks. Wish there were more MSE v2 video's. Preferably at higher res... ^_^

I bought MSE for Rhode Island to try it out, but I didn't really like it. I found the colours really washed out and the coastline looked strange and flat. I prefer GA than tubeliners, so I tend to fly lower and like eye candy.

That being said, I have photoscenery for Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland and Poland and I wouldn't fly without it. Germany, Switzerland and Poland all have autogen, and it really helps at lower altitudes. Some of the French scenery also has it, the best I've ever seen is FranceVFR's Normandy. The Spanish scenery only looks good above about 3000 feet, but suffers from lots of discoloration which can ruin it.

Don't forget that in real life, ground colors will often look a little washed out due to atmospheric haze and natural human air pollution. The scenery is made of actual photos and that haze and colour wash out is what the actual camera recorded the day the images were taken, so you are looking through a haze layer. Unfortunately this is a limitation of the scenery, however, at the same time, you could argue that it makes it more "real" also. Some scenery textures have colours that are too bright, and hence can look a little like comic strips at times with colors you would not actually see if you were flying over the same area in a real aircraft.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

@PCAviator, indeed, it's not just a problem with MSE, but with some European photoscenery I also use.The color changes can be really dramatic, e.g. From a light/plastic color to dark brown. I found the way to improve the look of photo scenery is to reduce the visibility to about 30km. This makes the scenery look far more realistic.

Had a look a quite a few screenshots and also noticed the differences in color. Now I understand that 'ground colors will often look a little washed out due to atmospheric haze and natural human air pollution' but my 'problem' is that it differs too much in the same area. If EVERYTHING had been washed out (not my preference but still) I could maybe live with it but flying over a washed out part and then see a colorful part appear just spoils the realism a bit...

Talking about spoiled... I do think we (or at least I) have been spoiled by generic scenery addons. They usually have almost too full colors. When I look at real world photographs taken out of airplanes or videos they indeed DO look more like a bit washed out photoreal scenery then like for instance Orbx scenery...! But when you are used to the latter, the first is a bit hard to get used too. And again, as I said, if the quality was the same overall, I think I could live with it but after seeing various kinds of qualities in just a few screenshots of one photoreal region, doesn't really help to make me take out my credit card. The differences simply are too big here and there.

Germany, Switzerland and Poland all have autogen

OT but I'd like to know what scenery that is!

OT but I'd like to know what scenery that is!

They aren't cheap I'm afraid, but they are as follows:

- Aerosoft's Germany North, South, East and West.

- Aerosoft/Flylogic Switzerland Pro

- VFR Poland (Best autogen downloader I've seen, i.e. You just download the areas you want and not entire counties). Out of the above, this is by far the best, it has 4 seasons, night textures and all the colours are consistent.

<br />you just cannot see it in the video<br />

I clearly saw a moving vehicle in the video. I'll play it back and ID where in regard to time.

It's about 2:07 to 2:12 into the video, on a two lane road moving in the direction the aircraft is flying.

So with these sceneries what happens when you fly over an airport like KDOV - Dover Air Force Base, seeing all the photo real detail of the airport, then you descend and land there? The FSX airport does not contain that photo real detail, such as buildings and structures.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

then you descend and land there? The FSX airport does not contain that photo real detail, such as buildings and structures.

That's when things get ugly... ^_^ The best thing to do with photoreal is to not takeoff or land but only fly.

They aren't cheap I'm afraid, but they are as follows:

- Aerosoft's Germany North, South, East and West.

- Aerosoft/Flylogic Switzerland Pro

- VFR Poland (Best autogen downloader I've seen, i.e. You just download the areas you want and not entire counties). Out of the above, this is by far the best, it has 4 seasons, night textures and all the colours are consistent.

Thanks for the info. Germany and specially Switzerland look pretty low res... And Poland isn't a region I would fly, I think.

FSX will always be all about compromises, I am afraid. -_-

EDIT

And that was post number 5.000...! Not my most positive one unfortunately. :P

Guest Air France

Is MegaScenery Earth 2.0 hard on FPS? Is it compatible other sceneries like Airports? Thanks!

Also is this true? Its what they say on their page.

"Flying With Such Realism Doesn't Mean A Performance Hit Either...

Framerates With MegaSceneryEarth Are Actually Faster Than Default Scenery."

Framerates With MegaSceneryEarth Are Actually Faster Than Default Scenery."

That's true because you have no autogen anymore.