Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

DX10 or Prepar3d in future

That will then be additional 100's of horses in front of the existing horse or horses

if it has a motor then its not just horse drawn

Hehe :)

Point being that fsx will always be a 32 bit program.. So as said in many other threads, eventually that will be the wall no matter what your processing power is

G'day

:)

P3D? I could well be wrong, but I believe the guys already using it are being used as guinea-pigs in the development of a commercial training aid, and one that will be very narrow in it's scope of what will be available to the flight school/collage/university/airline/. ........ and there will be no retail version.

I couldn't have said it better. I'm sure LM don't completely forbid simmers to use Prepar3D so we can be their beta testers for free (and some people in here are REALLY good beta testers). And then Prepar3D 2.0 will be accessible to the training market only.

I think FSX still stands on its own, especially after the DX10 patches from stevejp. Though I feel that the future lies on aeroflyFS. Not only does it target the simmers, but the first version runs on a good foundation, and the next version looks really promising.

For LM, there is an obvious interest to have simmers willing to pay for scenery and add-on development as it provide an overall richer environmemt for commercial or defense customer without having to pay everything by themselve. Orbx has already hinted at their interest at commercial customer. I think there is a convergence of interest between the better depiction of environmemt we want and what potential commercial customer want.

Pilot edge is exactly following this business model pursuing first commercial customers (hope they will succeed) and at the same time allowing simmers to use the service.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Gentlemen, a future vision that's (almost) around the corner:

This a melding of XP10 and converted FSX scenery. The moment XP10 dumps, err replaces, it's plausible world with a "real" world, FSX (and I dare say P3D) will be left in the dust.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

The moment XP10 dumps, err replaces, it's plausible world with a "real" world, FSX (and I dare say P3D) will be left in the dust.

Agree to a point, we all know it still needs more than just a "real" world to even be considered "the top contender", I won't list all the items here. The "things" still missing, or that need complete reworks, are well known to the regular Xplane users. I wouldn't want folks getting the wrong impression, Xplane still has a LONG way to go to be taken seriously as a "complete" flight simulator. It's great if you just want to fly around your local airport and do procedure training, a bit of sightseeing, or build an aircraft from scratch, but it's far from a complete full blown flight simulator, very far.

Fsx (Dx10) gives me a complete flight simulator for now, even with it's known performance limitations. If P3D offers something better down the road, the better for all of us. Go with the flow and follow the path that has the brightest future. At present, there's no reason to change a path. Who has the brightest future is still to be determined as far as I'm concerned, no body has proved otherwise, yet.

Some show promise, but they've shown promise for 20 plus years. Hope someone steps up to the plate and hits a home run, instead of bunting all the time. I don't have another 20 years to wait. :unsure:

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I don't have another 20 years to wait

LOL. Not to worry. With current trends, The "Desktop" and hardware associated with it wont have 1/2 that life span. So any commercially successful sim should be able to run on a portable device or at least, current hardware. Frightening isn't it? :)

Frightening isn't it? :)

What, getting old, I hate it. Or did you mean waiting 20 years to get a fully functional flight simulator that runs like a Swiss clock on that time periods hardware. I don't care what I need to run it, I just want it, and now. :P It still doesn't exist today, unbelievable.

They either have everything, fully functional flight simulator, but don't run very well, or don't offer everything, need help, but don't have performance issues, ie Xplane 10. We need a melding of a few of them.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Relatively new again to FSX. Years ago I "played" with FS but my hardware and the product functionality at that time did not keep my interest. I must say that even with some of the small problems I am amazed at how well FSX DX10 performs even with the low end hardware I have. I have only recently added some addons and even then I am getting acceptable performance. I agree with the comment earlier that to move and rebuild and perhaps have to give up some addons is not too inviting for me. I want to SIM not tweak hardware and software. I am surprised that there are still some commercial developers who say that "since FSX DX10 is preview, we do not support any problems you have".....but I think the trend is that more and more commercial developers are seeing the advantage of pursueing a DX10 compatability and support path. Thanks to all the members and staff of AVSIM who provide us newbies with invaluable input on issues and solutions!!

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD