Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Brand New to XP x64 Full Ver

Ok, now I'm just trying to figure out why my fps are so low....

Whoever said there isn't tweaking in XP was lying bleh!

Also, two questions...

Is this normal to have the scenery get blurry really high up? (FL410)

Untitled-106.jpg

And how can I change the scenery display order in XP? I mean the custom scenery seems to overlap some airports... At John Wayne I downloaded a 3rd party scenery, and then a bunch more, but I've lost some of my taxiway signage and yellow lines. Does it depend on the scenery_packs.ini file?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

this normal to have the scenery get blurry really high up? (FL410)

Yes this is an issue that hopefully LR will fix. Above FL180, you will start to notice the problem.

Does it depend on the scenery_packs.ini file

Check the FAQ from this site:

http://simheaven.com/?page_id=338

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thanks....

I appreciate the guys who have been helpful to me starting this whole new sim...

I'm really trying to enjoy XP10. The biggest thing right now stopping me from flying it as much as FSX is the mouse click problems. Some planes have decent left and right click spots (on some knobs) but most don't. I'm not a "I have to fly on autopilot all the time" sorta guy but when I'm flying a big jet, with no FO, I think using the autopilot is pretty fair. When I can't communicate with ATC (Pilot Edge /vatsim etc) because I can't get the damn comm channel freq in or I can't change my OBS knob I pretty much want to give up the sim right there and then.

I surprised there's lots of XP users and they don't notice this problem... GRRR... GRRRRR

Please LR, add mouse wheel functionality!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I feel your pain regarding the mouse/knob interaction. I went through the same thing last year, when I first got into X-plane. However, I will say that it does get easier with practice. Id still like to see it changed to a mouse wheel scroll. I understand some Apple mice do not have a wheel, but Id like to see it added as an option at some point for those who do. Rob

Ok, now I'm just trying to figure out why my fps are so low....

Whoever said there isn't tweaking in XP was lying bleh!

Also, two questions...

Is this normal to have the scenery get blurry really high up? (FL410)

Untitled-106.jpg

And how can I change the scenery display order in XP? I mean the custom scenery seems to overlap some airports... At John Wayne I downloaded a 3rd party scenery, and then a bunch more, but I've lost some of my taxiway signage and yellow lines. Does it depend on the scenery_packs.ini file?

no more blurries with this on my pc: http://secure.simmarket.com/taburet-xporbit-for-x-plane-10.phtml

Landuse Data - This tells X-Plane what type of autogen to put where. It's sourced from various databases worldwide and rolled into the underlying scenery file by Andras (AlPilotX). It is currently not editable by end-users like you and I, and no SDK currently exists to assist 3rd party developers into this realm. We are dependent on Laminar Research to update landuse information and "bake" it into the main scenery files. With that being said, we're given to believe that the landuse data in X-Plane is as accurate as the databases allow, and it's the autogen artwork/models which need the tweaking - not the landuse data.

OpenStreetMap Data - Circa mid-2011, OSM data is used ONLY for roads, rails, and water. There is no "land use" data pulled from OSM such as "this is a city, this is industrial, this is a park..." - that's handled separately via the databases mentioned in the first bullet. OSM data is also rolled into the underlying scenery files by Andras and is also not editable by end-users. We are dependent on Laminar Research to update roads, rails, and most disappointingly water information and "bake" it into the main scenery files.

X-Plane is a decidedly more closed environment when comparing it against MSFS in aspects of worldwide scenery. While airports and buildings/landmarks are open and vibrant with 3rd party work, other key elements (landuse, roads, rail, water) are all locked down out of reach.

I love to create and modify the scenery for FSX, very sad when read these. I now doubt is that the reason why ORBX not developing scenery for XP10?

It's opened but with permission from LR, otherwise you would not be able to do this:

http://truscenery.wordpress.com/category/products-and-support-2/

I believe that for the kind of scenery that we lucky few want to do, there is no restriction. What LR does not open is the landuse db. My guess is for performance optimization. Those are fundamentals of the simulated world and having control over it helps. Just my speculation of course. I am just a complete noob with this XP10 thing. May it will have staying power or may be it will be just another regretful purchase. The interface issue that Ryan mentioned is annoying. What I also found is that the view system is also require some getting use to. There is no Ezdok, and moving about in XP10 VC is a pain. I think XP-10 is still predominantly 2D panel.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

p.s. I'm getting about 16 fps with the same settings as you. I'm flying the Falcon 700EX freeware.

Ouch, is that an indication there is plenty of built-in scalability so that when your hardware improves thru going to 8-12 core CPUs, 32Gb quad channel ram, 6Gb GDDR5 x 384-bit you will ramp up to 30+ fps? Or is it just poorly functioning code? I guess the latter is really looking at how efficiently code runs compared to peer programs with similar operations to perform.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Good mini-review Ryan. I agree. To me 64bit is a HUGE PLUS but there is a few minuses too. The ones that you listed are the ones that I feel too.

It is totally absurd to me that a third party developer has not cashed in on the lack of logical AI in X-Plane. Maybe they are waiting for the upgrades to settle down. There is a free plug-in called XTraffic, but you have to fly the AI track yourself, and that's not practical, or at least, not convenient.

I have not deleted my FSX off of my HD, (I just don't have the strengh to do it), but if X-Plane gets much better, and fills in some of these minuses with pluses, I just might.

It's opened but with permission from LR, otherwise you would not be able to do this:

http://truscenery.wo...-and-support-2/

I believe that for the kind of scenery that we lucky few want to do, there is no restriction. What LR does not open is the landuse db. My guess is for performance optimization. Those are fundamentals of the simulated world and having control over it helps. Just my speculation of course. I am just a complete noob with this XP10 thing. May it will have staying power or may be it will be just another regretful purchase. The interface issue that Ryan mentioned is annoying. What I also found is that the view system is also require some getting use to. There is no Ezdok, and moving about in XP10 VC is a pain. I think XP-10 is still predominantly 2D panel.

Wow!! That looks like Orbx for X-Plane!!

It's opened but with permission from LR,

No, this is not the case at all. All of their tools are open source and can be downloaded and complied. The problem is that these tools --specifically Xres (which is what converts GIS data into X-Plane's climate files) have no documentation outside of the comments in the source code. You *can* roll your own land-class .xres files if you know what you are doing -- but for most people it's easier for LR to just provide them (which is what they currently do for X-Plane 9's climate data).

As for Truscenery, it appears that they are using very high-res ortho-photos with decals. You wouldn't need new climate files for this.

No, this is not the case at all. All of their tools are open source and can be downloaded and complied.

While the tools are open source, not all the data (and more importantly, expertise) used by Andras to populate those terrain tools is.

Per his now famous interview as well as various threads and discussions in the past, one of the key issues as to why terrain DSF creation is out of the reach of enthusiasts and 3rd party developers is because he's spent countless hours creating proprietary data sets out of the geographical, climate, and landuse data tailored for use in X-Plane. These data sets are not open source and distributed by him or Laminar, and they are effectively required to make any sort of worthwhile change due to the architecture of the XP10 scenery world.

Unlike other platforms, the XP10 world scenery isn't "layered" together by the sim, allowing for certain parts to be substituted in or out. The layering occurs when the scenery file is initially created, and cannot be changed on the fly by the simulation when it runs. Whats more, it cannot be reverse compiled to extract the various layers of raw data out individually. Terrain scenery file creation needs to contain elevation mesh, climate, landuse/texture assignment, road, rail, airport skirting, water and coastlines and possibly other elements when compiled, or else the missing elements will not appear in the sim or worse, create a non-functional file.

This decision was made to give the simulation less to think about as it's running, providing some sort of performance boost. Unfortunately, this decision also creates a significant impediment to anyone interested in modifying the underlying terrain in X-Plane.

Airports can be made to exacting standards with quality rivaling the best found in any simulation, but regional scenery replacement a la Orbx will remain a near impossibility in X-Plane so long as the procedure to create such underlying scenery is dependent on such a proprietary process.

-Greg

This is one of the reasons why I don't fly during the day on XP.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Who says so? Check this out:

http://www.scenery4xp.com/canadian_rockies/Home.html

That is a regional package. The next update from the author will also have winter texture as well as full support for XP10. It's just a matter of time for scenery rivalling ORBX shows up due the better capabilities of XP10. The real plus is that you can enjoy the scenery without stutters.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Airports can be made to exacting standards with quality rivaling the best found in any simulation, but regional scenery replacement a la Orbx will remain a near impossibility in X-Plane so long as the procedure to create such underlying scenery is dependent on such a proprietary process.

-Greg

Isn't 'proprietary process' another way of saying, 'they haven't provided a robust SDK for regional scenery'? I feel LR or whomever would be best served to focus hard on a killer core engine & interface, and leave rich content development to 3PD's: this is the proven model in FSX, albeit having reached its limits now within the confines of its core engine. This model extends a core engine for many years, spawns development and stimulates ongoing interest by end users, etc.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X