Sign in to follow this  
Airbus Commander

She's out!

Ronan, you really gonna fly that thing?

Too cool! Must be a rush!!!

I prefer the 787, but its still nice. Maybe someday you will be flying the type Ro?

One thing I have noticed about wide body Airbuses is that as a passenger, I felt like I was sitting much higher of the ground than other widebodies, like Airbus have taller landing gear. This is an impression burned into my consciousness from my travels as a kid in the A300, and this picture reinforces my view, especially this airframe without the engines.

Some more pics for you guys, those winglets are something else! :im Not Worthy: :yahoo: :dance: :Love:

800x600_1361900207_A350_XWB_roll_out_MSN1_.jpg

800x600_1361900210_A350_XWB_roll_out_MSN1.jpg

Regards,

Ró.

Wow, is that a Kingfisher A340-500 I see in the background of the first picture? They ceased operations last October, I wonder where that aircraft is going. I think they also wanted to buy A380s. Read up on Kingfisher, one of the most spectacular rises and failures in the airline industry. I had the pleasure of flying with them when they were a new carrier in late 2006 during a vacation in India, I'm surprised to learn of their fate recently.

I was in a meeting a year and a half ago in India and Kingfisher was the topic. It's been going on for a long time. At the end of the day it was simply a safety issue. That's why their OC was pulled...

Maybe someday you will be flying the type Ró?

Rónán, you really gonna fly that thing?

Yup, our first is conservatively scheduled for delivery in Q1 2015, with the next to follow in Q2. We were supposed to get the first one in Q4 2014, but that doesn't look like it'll be happening...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Nice. I would expect that we'd get some pictures?

Not unless our social media policy changes, we're not allowed photos, videos or sound clips of our flight decks... That's why you won't find any pictures or video's of our flight decks on the internet. Our PR department is quite strict about us interacting with the public in a representative manner for some unknown reason...

Shame really, I'd love to do some video's similar to this of my time spent on the line:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

that would be cool. Too bad about security, we all need it, but I remember being Super Elite with Air Canada and being allowed to sit in the cockpit pretty much whenever I wanted. I was in the jump seat for KSFO and KLAX and CYVR and CYHZ approaches. Lots of fun, but those days are gone for us. Share what you can...

that would be cool. Too bad about security, we all need it, but I remember being Super Elite with Air Canada and being allowed to sit in the cockpit pretty much whenever I wanted. I was in the jump seat for KSFO and KLAX and CYVR and CYHZ approaches. Lots of fun, but those days are gone for us. Share what you can...

Not as much a security issue as an image one, it ensures that only PR approved photos and videos that display the utmost of professionalism are released into the public domain. So no loose ties, full uniforms, no cups of tea lying on the floor, nothing broken or out of place, all very clean and professional if there's going to be a photo taken.

We still have people jump-seating with us, kids on work experience and all that, though nowadays it requires prior approval and a background check, but still allowable.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Yea, one can easily jump-seat in most of airline companies if he know how to achieve that. Even without any prearangement, I estimate there is about 40% chance to visit a cockpit if you know what to say, whom to ask...

@Ronan, can you record some stuff and give it to your PR management for approval? I mean if they examine it and find its professionally recorded, and flight deck in good shape, I do not see a reason why they would ban it.

Back in the air force days people didn't even know what an image was. My job if I wanted in the cockpit was to hold a cup for an ashtray for the pilots. My dad took me on a flight into St John with a friend of his in a twin engine, I don't even know what it was, probably a buffalo or something, but it was zero weather and they asked me to go back to my seat and I froze standing behind the center pedestal. I just stood there, they were so concentrated and the atmosphere in the cockpit was electric, I remember it like it was yesterday. And when they landed they turned around and saw me standing there and were not impressed lol. Some really cool vibes going on in the cockpit on final...

Yea, one can easily jump-seat in most of airline companies if he know how to achieve that. Even without any prearangement, I estimate there is about 40% chance to visit a cockpit if you know what to say, whom to ask...

@Ronan, can you record some stuff and give it to your PR management for approval? I mean if they examine it and find its professionally recorded, and flight deck in good shape, I do not see a reason why they would ban it.

Depends on the individual policy at the airline in Question, I know in Ryanair, only crew can use the jump seat, no exceptions, with us it's prior arrangement only, but crew can whenever they like, in all cases though it's only if the Captain agrees. I think I've heard that Lufthansa are pretty liberal with their jumpseating rules. Personally I'd love to get rid of our restrictions, I think you'll find that the flight crew will be a pretty good judge of character to decide whether or not to let someone sit on the flight deck.

As to why I don't record and then get approval, to do so would require a member of the PR department on the flight deck while the recording/photo's are being taken, approving them as we go, so that's not likely to happen just for a home video set up. Typically only news crews have access to film our flight decks, and even then it's typically only a 2 second clip of us running a checklist or brief.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thats too bad, as I think some of cockpit videos at YT are pure gold, and recorded more professionally that news agency can achieve.

And yea, jumpseating is just a matter of airline's policy. Remember when I was onboard in flyDubai 738, never had a chance even to see a flight crew member. Its ridiculous they didnt come out for toilet at 6 hours trip. To contrast, Emirates crew was way more pleasant, just love that airline.

i call this micro innovation, it's almost the same

why all planes are looking the same ?? why aren't they trying to make different things like the concorde

Form follows function... in aviation especially so.

Because the basic design for an airliner was set back in 1950 with the 707 era of aircraft.

It is a BUS with wings...

It works, it's simple. The format and layout is a known commodity and very accepted by the aviation industry.

If it ain't broke, Don't try to fix it...

Concord was different due to it's requirement for supersonic flight. That changed everything about that plane. It is what drove the design to look as it did. Low drag, High speed, high altitude all had to be engineered into the Concord.

And JP was real cheap back then... Todays designs are ALL about being efficient. Bleed air is going away as a power source. Hydraulic systems are going to higher pressures (3000 to 5000 psi), meaning smaller lines, less hydraulic system weight to haul around, including less fluid. FBW wiring harnesses replacing cables and pulley runs for the flight controls, saving weight. Composites replacing aluminum, saves weight, but increases initial costs of the plane and the increased cost for repairs due to it's nature.

As for A350 first flight, she has a long way to go.

Engines, final installations, lots of FT's (functional tests) still to be run. Electrical, Hydraulic, flight controls, gear swings,

Initial fuel operations and system tests. Fill her up check wether the fuel system functions properly, leak checks, transfer checks, boost pumps, etc. Flush and fill the tanks several times to clean out the junk out of the tanks from the build, that is left behind no matter how much you clean.

Initial engine/APU runs and then on to normal engine runs to test system integration and final checkouts before ground tests and taxi testing can begin.

Still alot to be accomplished for a mid year first flight.

Hmm didn't notice this thread before, I had no idea A350 project has gone that far already.

It will be nice to see what this bird looks like with proper paint and engines mounted.