Sign in to follow this  
MED1473

Darker nights

Hi all, I'm posting this in this forum because of the high knowledge level and similar requirements that I find in here with my fellow PMDG enthusiasts.

I'm finding more and more FSX at night to be unnaturally bright and the visibility too good at night to be realistic. Is there a way to tweak the settings to make the nights darker with all it means (eg darker terrain, skies, clouds etc..).

I add that I use rex and gsx+utx.

Thank you in advance and sorry for surely duplicating a thread that must have appeared in the past.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

"Some of you may have heard of this already. Its called ENBseries. Its a mod that adds high dynamic range lighting and bloom effects to FSX (or any D3D game i think). Both of which microsoft couldn't do without grinding the game to a halt. The great thing here is that there appears to be almost no performance penalty!

Its free and IMO the best addon out there. Here's the site http://enbdev.com/index_en.html . Its fully configurable and after many hours i think i have found a nice sweet-spot on the setup of night vs day. Here are the installation files http://www.mediafire.com/?jq0ouyd0mnj . Just drop both of these into the main FSX directory and it will work."

Using ENB u can adjust brightness levels - also during night time.

Artur 

Time to change the ENB series?

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

FSWC + ActiveSky 2012 is what I use.

I only use ENB, and I like it as it's quite simple to modify.

That being said, it is very easy to overdo it. By that I mean I only just noticed whilst flying the NGX yesterday, that I'd made parts too dark and I could hardly see the strobe lights illuminating the ground.

SweetFX seems to be better because author is still working on it and updating, contrary to ENB - correct me if i am wrong.

By asking, which one is better i was considering system load - fps performance.

ENB has slight impact on performance, how about SweetFX ?

Artur 

ENB crashes FSX with black screens. SweetFX is the new stable form of ENB.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

how about you just adjust your monitor settings a little? maybe its too bright?

SweetFX > all

sweetfx_nightafter.png

Would you mind sending over your SweetFX settings? because I can't find a good one out there.

Second that. I would like to see others' SweetFX settings. I'm having problems finding a sweet spot that gives me dark nights but not too dark day. And yes, I have adjusted my monitor as well.

I have the exact opposite issue. It's too dark. I think it is an issue with the monitors I use though. . Does this addon help with that?

If it's always too dark/bright all you have to do is change the .ini/.cfg file to your pleasure.