Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

GTX 580, 670 or 680 for new build?

I don't want to hijack this thread...but I think, my Q fits this one.

I own the GTX  670 FTW  2Gig card and I have 3 x 24" + 19" monitor. I am now using FSX in DX10 (DX9, is almost unusable now with OOMs)

I am generally happy with the performance when I  am flying in fair weather. But the moment I have clouds all over,  it jitters and slows things down. I am now unable to fly in bad weather.

Clouds or no clouds never used to make much difference earlier (DX9 days)... I don't know what happened now.

Would getting a better card improve the situation? Would getting a 4Gig video card make any improvement?

Post a screenshot of your FSX profile in Inspector

Post a screenshot of your FSX profile in Inspector

I am not sure if this visible or not

nv+settings+2.JPG

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I am not sure if this visible or not

nv+settings+2.JPG

At that monster resolution no wonder it gets choppy with 4xSGSS. Try 2xSGSS or simply use regular supersampling

no difference - that doesnt make sense as I have seen some nice differences, Mr. K has stated that  titan would make a difference if you have seen his review - not quite correct in your statement 

Its also been stated. Not a 6 or 700.00 improvement!

Have a 670FTW paired up with a 3770K OC'd @ 4.5 Ghz and am very pleased with the results. I don't, however run at extreme resolutions with multiple monitors. Chose the 670FTW for the same reasons you're considering. Close to the same performance of the 680 at $100 less. I second the recommendation on the Cooler Master 212 EVO. Keeps my 3770K nice and cool (around 50 C during sim sessions) and the 3770K is known to have heat issues when overclocking. I've owned heatsinks costing 3X as much as what I paid for that one that didn't deliver the same performance.

Hi, i have the chance to get a 3770k+ ASUS P8Z77 V LE Plus.¿ Is it really cool? Some people and sites say that is very, very hot. ¿Could you explain me your experience, please?  I must choose on monday. BTW , the graphics card will be an ASUS GTX680 Direct CU Top.

Thanks in advance.

Miquel.

Very good setup you can get there, buy a Corsair H100 cooler and you'll be fine :)

23.png

Over the past couple of months I have read a huge numbers of reviews on gpu's and I've decided on ASUS GTX TITAN PCI-E 3.0 6GB 384-bit DDR5, Base:837MHz, Boost:876MHz, DVI-I x 1, DVI-D x 1, DP. I can't comment on its performance but I'll be comin'in swingin' if I'm disappointed. I'm hoping the performance will remain, long after the price is forgotten.

I considered a 690 but I'm hearing that the 680 is more suited to FSX.

Jon

I would stay away from "dual" graphics cards like the 690. Fsx doesn't utilize them well. I hear that the Titan is better than the 680, but $500 better??

Hi, i have the chance to get a 3770k+ ASUS P8Z77 V LE Plus.¿ Is it really cool? Some people and sites say that is very, very hot. ¿Could you explain me your experience, please?  I must choose on monday. BTW , the graphics card will be an ASUS GTX680 Direct CU Top.

Thanks in advance.

Miquel.

Well its past Monday. Regarding CPU temps. The temp figures I posted is during sim sessions, not benchmark testing. Fsx won't stress your CPU anywhere near as hard as utilizing a program like prime 95 or crysis. I use prime 95 for all of my overclocks. My max CPU core temp reached during my benchmark test was 78C. Overclocking on air involves more than just using an aftermarket heatsink. Case design, the number and location of case fans, cable management, etc all affect it. Its also important to use top shelf thermal paste like Arctic Silver. Yes the Ivy bridge CPUs run hotter due to a not so popular design change made by Intel. They can however achieve the same performance at a lower overclock due to other advancements. I use 2 heatsink fans in a push-pull arrangement (the Hyper 212 EVO only comes with 1).

Thanks , Adam for your interest. Well, now i have a Core i7 2700k , only overclocked via XMP to 4,3 GHZ with an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3, and the sim runs  fantastic . For the moment I will follow with my current CPU, and get the ASUS GTX 680..

Thanks, again.

Miquel.

Thanks , Adam for your interest. Well, now i have a Core i7 2700k , only overclocked via XMP to 4,3 GHZ with an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3, and the sim runs  fantastic . For the moment I will follow with my current CPU, and get the ASUS GTX 680..

Thanks, again.

Miquel.

Great hardware choices! you should easily be able to reach a stable 4.5 to 5 Ghz . I prefer moderate overclocks myself. Fsx is fickle enough on its own without also having to deal with an unstable overclock LOL

"580 to the 680" the difference was dramatic...so all going well but I will tell you one of the best things I ever did was by an SSD just amazing no problems and fast as !@$

By the SSD being fast as !@$, do you mean fast loading the program, or quick in some response time in game play?

"do you mean fast loading the program, or quick in some response time in game play"

Both Tom not mention an overall stable system outside of simulator luv SSD's oh yah no more defragging either yahoo.

Rich Sennett

I would stay away from "dual" graphics cards like the 690. Fsx doesn't utilize them well. I hear that the Titan is better than the 680, but $500 better??

I don't think so but I'm only getting it because I've got the money at the moment. If I don't spend it on something tangible, knowing me it will get pee'd up against a wall before I know.

Jon

I don't think so but I'm only getting it because I've got the money at the moment. If I don't spend it on something tangible, knowing me it will get pee'd up against a wall before I know.

Jon

If it's money you want to spend, you would be better served by a TITAN..