Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

GTX 580, 670 or 680 for new build?

If it's money you want to spend, you would be better served by a TITAN..

Yup, that's what I'm getting in my new build. The system will be ready late this coming week or early the following week. In the meantime I'll just spend my time dealing with the guilt of spending close to AU$4000.00 on a new system. It'll be a balltearer, though.

Jon

I'd personally get the 670 right now - there is nothing short of Crysis 3 maxed out that it can't do well at 1440p on a 27" display. I think the Titan and all of that are massive overkill for FSX and should only be considered if you're doing triple monitor stuff in other games that can take advantage of it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I'd personally get the 670 right now - there is nothing short of Crysis 3 maxed out that it can't do well at 1440p on a 27" display. I think the Titan and all of that are massive overkill for FSX and should only be considered if you're doing triple monitor stuff in other games that can take advantage of it.

At the risk of hijacking the op's thread, I apologise. There is no doubt that you're right but the plan, a long way down the track, will be triple monitors, so I'm biting the proverbial bullet and getting it while I can.

Jon

Hi Ryan.  for FSX, you mean that the GTX670 and the GTX680 get  almost the same performance? Tomorrow, i can get an ASUS GTX670 Direct Cu2 Top for 369€ or the GTX680 ASUS GTX Direct Cu2 TOP for 509€.

I have to decide very quickly...My display is a DELL U2420, with a Core i7 2700k and 16 GB DDR3 1600.

Thanks in advance.

Miquel.

I think the Titan and all of that are massive overkill for FSX

Some people enjoy 8X SGSS on 1440P with 4096 clouds.... 

Since the GTX 670 is a couple of years newer than the 580, and is probably a whole new generation of technology; and since the 670 costs about 15% less the 580, but has a futuremark 3DMark11 score of 9410--33% higher than the 580's score of 6610, why is the 580 even under consideration?    

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+670/review

I saw the chart comparing the Theoretical Benchmarks  of the 580 to the 660Ti

http://www.hwcompare.com/13161/geforce-gtx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

someone above pointed out, showing that the 580 had more Memory bandwidth.     But the futuremark score for the 660Ti is 8660, quite a bit higher than the 580, like the 670 is.       So how does this Theoretical Benchmark reconcile with the Futuremark actual benchmark test?   And what does it mean for the actual performance with FSX?

Hi, i have the chance to get a 3770k+ ASUS P8Z77 V LE Plus.¿ Is it really cool? Some people and sites say that is very, very hot. ¿Could you explain me your experience, please?  I must choose on monday. BTW , the graphics card will be an ASUS GTX680 Direct CU Top.

Thanks in advance.

Miquel.

The 3770K and all other IVY bridge CPU's have known heat issues when attempting high overclocks. This is due to a design change made by Intel involving the change to a thermal paste from the traditional flux less solder used in the older Sandy Bridge CPU's. Some people "De lid" their 3770K's CPU's and replace this thermal compound with a top shelf one like Arctic Silver or the like but this involves slicing the CPU apart with a razor blade and voiding any warranty in the process. The Ivy Bridge CPU's reach higher performance levels clock for clock, however, than Sandy Bridge CPU's due to other advancements. Using high end memory (1600mhz + with tight timings) will help when overclocking as you wont need as much Vcore volts to achieve your desired overclock. More volts = more heat. 4.5 Ghz seems to be a popular number for a 3770K and I was able to achieve this quite easily on air with my CPU. Any overclocking requires aftermarket cooling but it needn't cost the earth. The Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO is a very solid performer at around $30.

Hi.

Mind if I ask a question here since this conversation is about 680?

Is there a big difference in developer, I mean EVGA, Asus, NVIDIA, GALAXY or Cigabyte or it is really does not matter?

Thanks.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

or it is really does not matter?

EVGA by far has the best customer service and support for their products. I have delt with them many times and it is almost always a hassle free experience. 

EVGA by far has the best customer service and support for their products. I have delt with them many times and it is almost always a hassle free experience.

Thank you for your response. I will keep that in mind.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Asus GTX680 is very good, I personaly recommend it.

Thank you. Will take a look 

I have an Asus GTX 670 2GB and never had an issue since I got it a year ago. Asus is a good company so always a good choice.

Thanks for all those who participated with their insights and opinions. I had actually purchased the 2GB 670 FTW shortly after this thread started and have had the new build for a few weeks now. It's been a slow grind from flashing the BIOS to its newest version, setting up the OS, doing the base FSX and SDK install and adding addons. Just installing all the base addons like GEX, UTX, and a hundred different addon airports and sceneries has taken me more than a week since I comb thru all the texture files of each addon and make the appropriate adjustments to each.

A few days ago I finally finished the scenery addons and have now moved on to installing my fleet of a/c, So far in early testing the new card with the new build is working flawlessly and I am pretty happy so far with the current build and new card. No issues as well using ENB which has been know to not work for some folks here and there and I was worried about any issues it might cause on my new build. Just like on my Win XP 32bit system, ENB is working without a hitch on the new build with no FPS, graphic anomalies, or CTD's.

Can't wait to finally get the whole install wrapped up and overclock completed so that I can get back to flying.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Don't forget to take a complete image back up of your OS and FSX. It could come in handy one day.. when you install something and breaks something you can't figure what..

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter