Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Texas is a BIG State

I finally purchased the State of Texas (yes, the whole package) from MegaSceneryEarth and got it downloaded yesterday.  I hemmed and hawed for a long time but decided it was time to get it. This has got to be the largest download and installation of an FSX product ever!  There are 103 files for the complete package consisting of 106GB's and it took me about 4 hours to download all of them.  Then I had to extract the setup program from each file (that took about another 2 hours) and run each setup program.... 103 times!  Yet, I'm extremely happy with the product and it may be one of the best ones produced so far.  I flew a couple of flights today from Houston IAH to Oklahoma City's Will Rogers International Airport (yes I own MSE Oklahoma too) and the realism was unbelievable.  Flying near Oklahoma City I could see the red rusty dirt prevalent in the area. I just cannot see ever flying over FSX default scenery ever again.  I was just wondering if anyone else has bought the whole package and if they encountered any installation issues.  So far I see no anomalies in the photoscenery but the State is big so may never see any.  I also got Iowa and hoping to see my birth state, Kansas soon before the FanCon.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Wow, and I thought Illinois was a pain with only about 16 files. But I tell you, I can hardly stand to fly over default scenery anymore. Sure, you have to get up about 2,000 feet for the full effect, but Im not looking out the window while taking off anyway.

Great stuff.

Come a long way, hasn't it?

I'm waiting for Minnesota.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I bought south eastern Texas and was quite impressed with the quality. The imagery is very current. I flew up to Bastrop and you could see were that wildfire burned thru the whole area. I have found some airstrips that aren't lined up correctly. It took me six hrs to download and install.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I got the north east TX. I have Megascenenery Dallas that I still use cause it has night scenery.  I wish this was nice compliant.

After I installed it I removed from the scenery.cfg cause it takes too long to load FSX. But when I want to fly Texas I'll put the entry back in. This way my fsx don't take long to load.

I also wish they have a map showing which files is which area like they used to on their v1.  This way I can only have the files where I fly over, Meaning I need a corridor to fly from Dallas to Houston and to Austin and St. Antonio.

Then another corridor to fly west via Lubbuck to fly to Tucson.

This way I can reduce the number of files.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I'm waiting for Minnesota.

I am with you, there is a deal for Iowa, but there is nothing to see there..........the reason we moved back to MN. till everything was illegal.......now in AZ, when will that be done???    B42L8

I bought south eastern Texas and was quite impressed with the quality. The imagery is very current. I flew up to Bastrop and you could see were that wildfire burned thru the whole area. I have found some airstrips that aren't lined up correctly. It took me six hrs to download and install.

Wow, the wildfire damage is shown too? Impressive. I'm assuming that the waller county fire is on it too. That one was a very big deal as well. I'm an emt with them and I typically work on the northern end of the county and I can't help but just look at the destruction every time I pass it.

maybe so but in the northern territory some farmers have farms bigger than the state of texas.hope scenry is good

Is Megascenery compatible with UTX?

Uh, I doubt it.  The roads in photoscenery are already there and real looking.  They also have traffic on them.  Maybe you are talking about the shorelines.  I know it's not needed for the oceans, lakes and rivers either.  So, nothing from UTX should show.  You shouldn't have a need to turn on autogen too and that will save some fps as autogen is a framerate killer if not used properly.

I have found some airstrips that aren't lined up correctly. It took me six hrs to download and install.

I agree.  I have found this in some other States too, like Charlotte NC.

Best regards,

Jim 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I got the north east TX. I have Megascenenery Dallas that I still use cause it has night scenery. I wish this was nice compliant.

I've heard of this complaint before and don't understand the comment as I have night scenery but it's the default lighting (see photos).  I guess they could try to get night imagery and charge another $29.95.  Still the default works!

7B36g.jpg

JDZmb.jpg

And, just for fun, here's Dallas during the daytime at FL330....

AHnLe.jpg

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

It's a huge amount of files and space on the hard drive, but it's well worth it. Being in way south east texas (I can literally fly into mexico in about a minute after taking off) I do a bunch of Southwest flights all throughout Texas and with MSE, it looks ridiculously great in the flight levels, it gets blurry once you get to ~4000 AGL, but it comes with the territory I guess. Well worth the purchase, in my opinion.

Uh, I doubt it.  The roads in photoscenery are already there and real looking.  They also have traffic on them.  Maybe you are talking about the shorelines.  I know it's not needed for the oceans, lakes and rivers either.  So, nothing from UTX should show.  You shouldn't have a need to turn on autogen too and that will save some fps as autogen is a framerate killer if not used properly.

I have all my FSX files on a SSD and if I start adding megascenery I will run out of room very quickly. Would it work if i install it to my main hard-drive or does it need to be in my FSX folder. Also, how many FPS have you saved with this add-oon? Would things generally run smoother without UTX or autogen?

Thanks