Sign in to follow this  
Anders_Weber

i7 920, new Graphics card, which one?

I am currently running a rig with a i7 920 Overclocked to 4.2 Ghz hyperthreading enabled. I have 6 gigs of tripple channel ram, but an old GTX 275.
When i build the machine i was on a budget, so I got the GTX 275 with around 900Mb Ram. It worked great, but now I am relly considering a new GPU, since that is my bottleneck I Guess!?

I mostly play FSX, but altså other games. Until now my computer has run everything nice and smooth, but I have trouble keeping up with new games like Far Cry 3, Bioshock infinite etc.

Altso it would be great to see a little performance boost in fsx with a new GPU!?

What do you guys recommend?

My son has my old 4.2GHz i7 950 that had a GTX285 for a GPU.  He upgraded to a GTX680 and was real pleased with the results so you would get great results with either a GTX580 or GTX680.

Thanks guys. I realize I wasnt clear in my first post.

I have around 300-500 bucks to spend. I would never spend 800-1000 $ on a graphics card. I don't have that kind of money  B)

What would you suggest at around 3-500 $?

GTX 670, great card.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I have a similar rig with a gtx 285 and thinking about the 4gb 680 also. Just to spruce up the old i7.

Mainly for fsx. Far Cry 3 how good was that! Game of 2012 I reckon.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Is there any diffrence between a 2 gb and 4 gb GTX 670 in fsx? I mean, most cars have 2 gb. I only use one monitor, sort of thinking 2 gb would be enough?

I have an i7-920@4 GHz and replaced my GTX285 with a 660Ti 2GB. I'm very happy with it. It handles the new games like Total War Shogun 2 very well

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Introduction & Review NCIX Tech Tips.

Edited by egcc

Mo45

I used to have an i7920 at 4GHz. I switched form an old 7500GTX, to a GTX 580.

Results were great.

Not sure about the new model numbers, but whatever the new equivalent is to the 580 would make you happy.

The 670 is the best deal with that CPU.

680 is too expensive regarding poor perf ad compared to a 670. 

the 670 has better ability for O/C too

Fabian Fuchs  belgium-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gi

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'm looking at upgrading from a 580 GTX to a 680 GTX. Are you saying the 680 GTX doesn't provide valued performance over the 670? Wouldn't have thought there was that much difference between a 580 and a 670....

Still, I'm just learning at all this stuff..

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

1 monitor, 670. same system, saw nice performance boost.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS