Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

1 Boston terror suspect Killed, another on the run.

I think it would be safest to stay on topic. I really don't want the thread to become a surveillance debate when opposing viewpoints weigh in.

If it acceptable to post news of this incident on AVSIM, then it should be ok to post any and all comments about it.

If it acceptable to post news of this incident on AVSIM, then it should be ok to post any and all comments about it.

:t0152:

That's right!

Hangar Chat:

"This forum is for the discussion of real world aviation topics and any other topics not covered in other forums. Please make sure that your topic isn't covered in another forum before posting here"

Chris Sunseri

Not when the post opens a path that almost certainly leads to an eventual thread-lock. Its not hard to start a new gun debate thread if one is looking for that.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

These guys had a real smart getaway plan...gee let's stay in the city where we just killed people and our faces are plastered everywhere.  BRILLIANT!!!  Within minutes I would have been high tailing it out of there in a vehicle towards an airport somewhere with tickets to the other side of the globe.  Little late now boys.  Serves 'em right.

I don't think they had any idea they could be identified that fast. By then it was too late for them! They had other bombs, and apparently the ability to make more. I think they were probably planing on other attacks. before their identification interfered with  their plans. I'm glad the authorities were able to catch up with them, it's sad that after the fatalities and injuries from the bombing, they were able to kill a police officer and  severely  injure another before before they were they killed one and captured the other bomber. My prayers go out to them and their families, and I congratulate all the law enforcement personnel involved in this case, for a relatively quick capture of the suspects.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The role that "social media" played in helping to identify these two kids should be noticed with emphasis. Without the literally thousands of extra eyes scouring the tens of thousands of photos and frames of video, it may not have had this successful outcome...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree Tom.  Obviously they didn't think the whole thing through and in the end it all wrapped up relatively quickly fortunately.  Had they done this sort of thing at a marathon in middle of nowhere Iowa, I'm sure they'd still be on the loose.  It's amazing now having cameras virtually everywhere, especially in larger cities.  You just never know when and where you're being watched.

Chris Sunseri

..... It would not surprise me if the younger brother were also seriously wounded.  He might even have crawled into a basement and died.....

I was thinking again about how intuitive your comment was yesterday.  Almost exactly what happened.  I was surprised to hear that he was found only about a mile from where the shootout with his happened.  The police said yesterday he was just outside the perimeter they set up.  I am surprised they didn't have a wider perimeter set up.  It sounds like he was so gravely injured he would have died had not the homeowner found him out there.

I'm hoping the news will gradually settle down so the focus can shift away from what happened this past week.  The sooner that happens, the sooner these brothers lose the terrorism value that they hoped to accomplish.

John

Not when the post opens a path that almost certainly leads to an eventual thread-lock. Its not hard to start a new gun debate thread if one is looking for that.

...well you're right, we wouldn't want a thread lock to happen.

What does a dancing rat have to do with anything?

Thermal image of the suspect in the boat prior to capture:

I refuse to let the terrorists win by giving up my freedoms that many people have died to protect. If I get killed by a terrorist's bomb or bullet so be it but atleast I died a free man! Do I fear them not the least bit if I do then they met their goal and have won. Never give up your rights for any reason or you'll end up living in a ###### style police state.....your papers please

Well said. No proactive measures please, no intrusions on privacy. The more freedom and privacy taken away, the more the terrorists have won. Google vehicles, drones, regulations, restrictions, inspections, pat downs, body scanners are enemies of free people. Some are necessary, but when in doubt, always vote for less not more.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

No proactive measures please, no intrusions on privacy. The more freedom and privacy taken away, the more the terrorists have won. Google vehicles, drones, regulations, restrictions, inspections, pat downs, body scanners are enemies of free people. Some are necessary, but when in doubt, always vote for less not more.

Its coming. I don't believe all this media rubbish.

Well said. No proactive measures please, no intrusions on privacy. The more freedom and privacy taken away, the more the terrorists have won. Google vehicles, drones, regulations, restrictions, inspections, pat downs, body scanners are enemies of free people. Some are necessary, but when in doubt, always vote for less not more.

On my last trip by air, in February, security at Sky Harbor was the normal metal detector.  On the return at Orlando, they used body scanners on everyone going through.  The metal detectors were in place, but we were all directed through the body scanners.  Unfortunately, thanks to underwear bombers and shoe bombers, we're stuck until new, less obtrusive technology can be developed.  As far as regulations and restrictions, those have always existed in parts of our lives.  In school, in the workplace, in certain public facilities.  When I visited the U.S. Senate years ago, in 1987, even then I had to go through three metal detectors and was subject to pat downs.  Surprisingly, when I visited Travis AFB for an air show in the early 90's, I just drove right on in and walked right onto the tarmac with no checks at all other than a brief look by the guard at the gate.  I am sure that level of security has changed now.

I agree, less regulation and restriction is better and for the most part, that's true in my daily life.  I drive where I want, say what I want (within reason, obviously) and choose the recreation I want for me and my family.  We're more free than we realize and the walls we put up to isolate ourselves vary depending on many factors.  We're as free as we choose to be if we don't let these things discourage us too much.  I still wouldn't live anywhere else than the U.S. (although I've always been partial to the beautiful scenery of Switzerland, if I were going to live somewhere else part time).

John

I agree, less regulation and restriction is better and for the most part, that's true in my daily life.

I think the USA just needs to be par with security and customer service with its allies and competitors around the world, The USA should rebuild their airports to a standard like Changi Airport if it wants to compete for travellers once again, so when a traveller is in transit in KLAX or KJFK, they get the same treatment as if they were in Sydney, Vancouver, Hong Kong or Changi Airports.

The way it right now is TSA has been so over bearing for so long that people avoid travel from the South Pacific and Asia to Europe though the USA at all costs, due to the way they are treated by TSA. Also the people that work in airports in the USA in other areas, like food services or airport staff are often not friendly either due to working in a tough, high security environment. You have to compare the passenger experience in the USA to other airport operations around the world.

The quickest way from were I live to London, England is through KLAX and historically was the most common route. Today people cringe at the thought of going through KLAX and avoid it at all costs, even if it takes a couple of hours longer and costs a couple of hundred dollars more to go the other way. The passenger experience in Changi, Hong Kong and Dubai well in transit to Europe is far better then anything in USA at the moment.

I will be the first to admit that the USA is one of the best nations in the world at Customer Service, but for whatever reason the USA has lost touch of this in its international airport operations. Difference today compared to centuries past is, a nation used to build large cathedrals to show their wealth to the world and impress travellers visiting your nation, Today we don't build cathedrals because an airport has become the new cathedrals, Every passenger coming in to your nation goes through your airports, so this is how you show your wealth and prosperity to the world. This is why we see major airport construction projects around the world now.

Matthew Kane

I think the USA just needs to be par with security and customer service with its allies and competitors around the world, The USA should rebuild their airports to a standard like Changi Airport if it wants to compete for travellers once again, so when a traveller is in transit in KLAX or KJFK, they get the same treatment as if they were in Sydney, Vancouver, Hong Kong or Changi Airports.

The way it right now is TSA has been so over bearing for so long that people avoid travel from the South Pacific and Asia to Europe though the USA at all costs, due to the way they are treated by TSA. Also the people that work in airports in the USA in other areas, like food services or airport staff are often not friendly either due to working in a tough, high security environment. You have to compare the passenger experience in the USA to other airport operations around the world.

The quickest way from were I live to London, England is through KLAX and historically was the most common route. Today people cringe at the thought of going through KLAX and avoid it at all costs, even if it takes a couple of hours longer and costs a couple of hundred dollars more to go the other way. The passenger experience in Changi, Hong Kong and Dubai well in transit to Europe is far better then anything in USA at the moment.

I will be the first to admit that the USA is one of the best nations in the world at Customer Service, but for whatever reason the USA has lost touch of this in its international airport operations. Difference today compared to centuries past is, a nation used to build large cathedrals to show their wealth to the world and impress travellers visiting your nation, Today we don't build cathedrals because an airport has become the new cathedrals, Every passenger coming in to your nation goes through your airports, so this is how you show your wealth and prosperity to the world. This is why we see major airport construction projects around the world now.

My experiences with the TSA have been pretty good, although the agents in Orlando didn't seem quite as nice as the ones in Sky Harbor, who are usually smiling and in good spirits when dealing with passengers.  If the TSA is treating foreign nationals rougly, that's bad.  The TSA are ambassadors for our country whether we like it our not.

On my first trips out of the U.S., our chaperones stressed the same thing--that we were ambassadors for our country in our travels.  That always stuck with me in dealing with anyone--it certainly helped me find my wife, since she isn't from the U.S. 

Those who deal with foreign nationals during the course of their work need to understand that how they execute themselves makes a big difference in the impression their country leaves with others.

It is funny how the level of service varies at different U.S. airports.  I haven't traveled through LAX in a long time--in the past four years I've only traveled to Orlando twice, Honolulu, San Francisco, and Orange county.  Service has always varied, but I find my home airport, Sky Harbor, the best of the bunch and it usually gets high ratings for service.

John