Sign in to follow this  
ceem

Light twin GA opinions & recommendations

Morning/evening gents,

I'm looking for a decent GA light twin to get my teeth stuck into but there's quite a few on the market so wonder if anyone has any recommendations or comments.

I think my only preference is that I'm happy with regular flight instruments or small sized PFD's alongside small navigation/weather MFD units. Basically anything except large PFD/MFD's such as the G1000 etc.

Models i've been looking at are:

MilViz C310R (Read somewhere it uses some default FSX flight gauges)

Carenado C340 II HD Series

Carenado B200/C90B King Air HD Series

RealAir Turbine/Piston Duke (Aware of the potential RealityXP gauges cost increase)

Flight1 BN2 Islander (I understand this is a cracking plane to own but i'm a bit dubious about the Bendix King GPS unit)

I have a medium computer system that can run a Cessna Mustang with all its MFD's though it can go a bit choppy so I would assume all the above will be easier on FPS.

Opinions and/or additional recommendations welcomed.

Cheers,

ceem

I'm not a fan of Carenado although many are, and while I can't argue with the firms success I cannot recommend anything they sell.

The Duke (all versions) is absolutely top notch in my book and you should look at buying the RXP GNS550  as well.  You can install the GNS unit in any airplane you choose so it becomes more cost effective.

I own and fly the Islander a lot.  It is my fave for getting into small primitive Forest Service airports in the wilderness--I am addicted to Orbx PNW scenery.  You can install the RXP GNS unit in the 2-D view (no 2-D panel included) and run it on a second monitor instead of the odd old GPS.  But be aware, the Islander is painfully slow.  But again, a real favorite of those willing to accept it on its terms.

One twin you might have overlooked is the Eaglesoft Piper Twin Comanche.  Old technology so its graphics, instruments etc are not as sharp as the latest toys but an alternative I enjoy flying.

Milviz Baron and the Islander. Not sure I'd call a King Air a light twin. ;-). The Baron is smaller than what you're looking at, but it has such a great feel to it. The Islander GPS is perfectly functional and the tutorial is a big help with using it, and it's a bit different to all the usual magenta line producing units that you get in the others, which I think is a bonus.

Good luck making your call.

Mike

Not your usual Twin, but the Carenado C337 is simply great, it flies very nice - rather fast, actually -  and the FDE are convincing (I guess they're by Bernt Stolle)! And having the props in a row rather then on both sides of the cockpit has the advantage that in case of an engine failure it flies quite similar to a single engine prop.

The MV C310 doesn't use anything that's default.  Not sure where you heard that but it's false.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Carenado 337

Cessna 310

Turbine Duke

Piper Cheyenne

PMDG JS4100

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

If you're looking for a standard twin then the Dukes.  Top notch.  If you want some character then the 337.  Both excellent.  I love the FDE in the B200 but they left a lot out.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Add my endorsements for the Milviz B55 Baron and C310R.  After upgrading from FS2004 to FSX a few months ago and discovering Milviz, I now wouldn't buy any other GA aircraft - nothing else compares in terms olf system functionality and graphics fidelity, both exterior and cockpit.  (Carenados look great from the outside, but internal graphics and functionality do not match the quality of the exterior.)   Unfortunately Milviz does not have a large selection of GA aircraft except the two mentioned and a civilian P-51..  Hopefully they will develop more to satisfy the market demand for such products.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Add my endorsements for the Milviz B55 Baron and C310R.

How is the C310R for frame rates.smoothness compared to the MilViz Baron?

I'm looking for a similar recommendation, but with a view to performance also, as some of my light twins (Duke, B55) don't play too well with Orbx/UTX on my creaky system.

We didn't do the P-51 civilian...  we did do a P-38 Redbull though... and it's fast and a twin.  And has GPS... And RXP capabilities...

We also do intend to do more civilian GA soon...

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

MilViz C310R (Read somewhere it uses some default FSX flight gauges)

You may have looked at a screenie of a specially included version of the C310R called the "Free Radio Version" that has none 3D avionics, so that you can replace them in your VC panel if you wish (with RXP etc)....

.....but that's not the main set up for the MilViz C310R.

It's a beauty!

c310r7.jpg

..... easily the best GA Twin in FS at the moment in my opinion.

Flick on the batteries and listen to the fan sounds ..... you immediately know you're in a quality add-on. Oh, and the fact that it flies like a dream is pretty handy too. :wink:

Conversely, as much as I adore the MilVix C310R, I just didn't get the same nice feelings from their B55, which felt a little sterile to me.

C310R is the one to get.

I have to agree on the MilViz C310, it is an awesome GA aircraft.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I agree about the C310. Comes in 3 versions:

FreeRadio - Custom gauges + default radio stack - for improved FPS, or to easily be able to easily replace with custom radios that are designed to directly replace default ones

3D Analog: Custom gauges+custom 3D radios+3D skin for the default GPS (how most addons do it, including e.g. the RealAir Duke).

G1000 - Uses default G1000 glass panel (apparently some real-life 310's have been converted to glass..I don't like it)

You can easily switch between variants by editing a single line in the aircraft.cfg.

Flight dynamics are *extremely* smooth and pleasant, sounds are amazing, VC and external model are the same quality as e.g. Carenado.

Others to consider are the RealAir Duke (I think the Turbine version is more fun because of the climb rate, take off distance, cruise speed etc.). The Carenado C337 is another must-have. Unlike their other twins, the flight dynamics are made by Bernt Stolle so it's not glitchy and overly sensitive like some of their other planes. I don't recommend any complex Carenado planes with airfiles from before Mr. Stolle joined the team.

Also, not a twin, but I feel it fits with your description as far as the type of cockpit, instruments etc., and offers twin-like performance (~220-230 kts up to 27,000 feet, pressurization) - the Carenado PA46T Jetprop.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I have the piston Duke, and really like it.

If I had to buy another one on that class I believe I woud buy my first MilViz, and it could be the C310R or the B55.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Whilst my main vote definitely stays with the MilViz C310R, for the best twin in FSX, another excellent twin with very convincing flight dyanamics, is the old Eaglesoft Twin Commanche.

tcegash2.jpg

..........It was released, I think around 2006/7, so obviously doesn't quite have the best visuals and textures, but it's a blast to fly. I done a properly planned, real-time, Atlantic crossing in it, when it was released, and it was a blast.