Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

Windows 8 Confirmed "A Flop!"

I wont touch window's 8 with a 10' pole and the reason is quite simple.

"The Business Model"

Big Companies/Corporations are getting way too greedy for my taste and pocket book.

It's time to take a stand.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone as to what your comments have to do with either the topic or Flight Simulation.  I used to enjoy coming here but I see more and more politics and complaining than Flight Simulation discussions. 

Perhaps you missed noting that this is the "Hanger Chat" forum, a place in which much non-flight simulation discussion is allowed.

Why is it that we keep having to explain this?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Perhaps you missed noting that this is the "Hanger Chat" forum, a place in which much non-flight simulation discussion is allowed.

Why is it that we keep having to explain this?

Well to be honest, the person who talked about retirement started the whole off topic section of this post.

I agree 100% with everyone here regarding Windows 8.

Just curious as to how many have actually used Windows 8 64 bit for an extended length of time.  

I've been using it since the first beta was released.

It runs FSX much better that Win 7 64 bit and I have experienced zero problems with it.

I've built my own machines since the mid 90's.  I've had just about every flight sim out there at one point or another.

To say Win 8 is a loser without having used it for an extended period of time is a narrowminded statement.

Just curious as to how many have actually used Windows 8 64 bit for an extended length of time.  

It runs FSX much better that Win 7 64 bit and I have experienced zero problems with it.

I've built my own machines since the mid 90's.  I've had just about every flight sim out there at one point or another.

To say Win 8 is a loser without having used it for an extended period of time is a narrowminded statement.

I've tested it out at home, we've used it at work and decided to go back to 7, and the only example work were we kept using 8 was with a couple of Surface tablets we have. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Ok it works for you! But you are in the minority. Whether it works or not isn't the question. The overwhelming majority just don't like it and don't want it. Simple as that. MS have produced a product that few want. It's bad enough to have a debacle with "Flight", but with an operating system???? If MS contiinue to release stuff that nobody wants then everyone is going to move away from MS operating systems all together! Making MS Office a subscription programme is also a very bad move indeed!

Ok it works for you! But you are in the minority. Whether it works or not isn't the question. The overwhelming majority just don't like it and don't want it. Simple as that. MS have produced a product that few want. It's bad enough to have a debacle with "Flight", but with an operating system???? If MS contiinue to release stuff that nobody wants then everyone is going to move away from MS operating systems all together! Making MS Office a subscription programme is also a very bad move indeed!

Thats the kicker for me. This kind of business model is complete bull and I prey to the gods that consumer's speak with their wallet's and refuse this crud.

Thanks but no thanks I'll buy the software I want to use. I dont want to rent it. I could come up with a couple page's of implication's of where this kind of crud can and will probably go, and it's all bad.

Next thing you know... You wont even own the work that you do with the software you rent. 

Window's 7 might be the last piece of software I ever purchase from Microsoft.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Window's 7 might be the last piece of software I ever purchase from Microsoft.

hear hear

Regards;

Fritz

"Window's 7 might be the last piece of software I ever purchase from Microsoft.'

Well I hope for your sake it lasts your entire life.  Otherwise good luck running FSX.

Avsim used to be filled with innovators.  Now there seem to be a lot of whiners.  And most of it coming from people who haven't used Win 8.

"Window's 7 might be the last piece of software I ever purchase from Microsoft.'

Well I hope for your sake it lasts your entire life.  Otherwise good luck running FSX.

Avsim used to be filled with innovators.  Now there seem to be a lot of whiners.  And most of it coming from people who haven't used Win 8.

Innovation is a subjective word. The innovation's in manual tootbruch technology simply amaze's me, where would we be without Oral B.

Subscription model software is an innovation that comes when a developer is running out of meaningful improvements for you to purchase the latest version of their product.

Who's whining?

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone as to what your comments have to do with either the topic or Flight Simulation.  I used to enjoy coming here but I see more and more politics and complaining than Flight Simulation discussions. 

Well, if you look back, someone mentioned being afraid of spiders and we kind of took it from there.  Other than the fact that it's on a computer, the shortcomins of Windows 8 and Open Office don't have much to do with flight simulators, either.

Just because Windows 8 has added something new compared to older versions doesn't mean it's automatically anything good. Innovation is worth nothing if it's not useful. 

Personally I really don't care much for mobile tablets and other devices, I rather have a powerful desktop computer that lets me to get awesome FS and gaming experience at home and then use my good old Nokia for only calling and text msg, everything else is irrelevant. 

Probably in two years or so when I join university I will get a laptop or something similar for studying and travel, that's enough mobile technology for me. 

Please dont give me a hard time for this  !

Did anybody stop to consider how this affects thousands upon thousands of people with a learning problem and I dont just mean lazy assed attitude. I speak of people who are  disabled in many different ways, yet depend in many cases on computers to read for them for instance or many other helpfull ways, that they try to have some control over.

Going all tactile for a few where thier disabilty may benefit from the touchscreen, but that works on 7 allready, but for the majority changing will be a last resort, its pretty much the same for again thousands upon thousands of pensioners, yes I know many of us here are pensioners that manage perfectly well in most cases, that doesnt mean to say that the majority of pensioners find anything easy about computers, though most of us are more and more pushed into using them in our everyday life.

This is just a thought, I dont mean to disagree with any points given here but I did think this relevant.

regards

Guss

Personally I really don't care much for mobile tablets and other devices, I rather have a powerful desktop computer

But many people don't see the need for a PC. That's why sales of smart phones and tablets are soaring while PC sales are declining - especially desktops.