Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

Windows 8 Confirmed "A Flop!"

To be fair, I hope MS will add the start button back, and make W8's Start Screen a hybrid option with the Start Button. I have a feeling a LOT of the criticism would ebb if the old Start Button (and subsequent options returned) and people would see the Start Screen for what it really is; a main screen that allows you a great overview of everything (mails/social media/stocks/work flow in one screen). 

I personally had no issue learning W8, but I think a lot of the older pc users would benefit from a hybrid option rather than a drastic new future for at least 3 more OS versions.

I couldn't care less about mobile phones or tablets, so any new OS that panders to the mobile crowd is completely irrelevant to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Scared of an OS? Thats a strong word to use isn't it for a piece of software?

Vampires, werewolves and marmite are things to be scared of

I've always wondered what marmite is; sounds like a cross between pudding and coal tar.

Guess that's what Wikipedia is for!

I couldn't care less about mobile phones or tablets, so any new OS that panders to the mobile crowd is completely irrelevant to me.

But the rest of the world does. It's forecast that "tablet shipments will surpass desktop PCs in 2013 and portable PCs in 2014."

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24037713

Vampires, werewolves and marmite are things to be scared of

I'm 66, and I'm scared of retirement.

I'm also perfectly happy with XP.

They should have an option to use the older style Start UI. There is absolutely no legitimate reason other than their desire to push their phones and tablets for them to force desktop keyboard and mouse users into using the Metro/Modern UI. I don't *want* my desktop PC to have the same UI as a phone or tablet - they're very different platforms that I use for different things.

Its as if you read my mind before posting this. AMEN to that! I've witnessed the long string of mostly subpar OS versions of MS Windows with Windows  ME being perhaps the worst. Unfortunately, PC's are becoming less and less of a consideration when it comes to OS development. and the life cycle seems to be getting shorter and shorter. I  barely had Vista installed before upgrading to 7 which really was just a fix for all the things Vista should have had right to begin with. Windows 8 is not even on my radar screen as I've heard almost nothing positive from desk top PC users.

I'm 66, and I'm scared of retirement.

I'm also perfectly happy with XP.

If you have enough cash to live comfortably, you'll love retirement. It took me about 18 months to really get in tune with it.

I think that the bean counters at MS are not too bright, and are going to speed up the demise of MS. They are so fixed on short term gains that eventually many will lose interest in MicroSoft's ideas and move over to Ubuntu. Don't get me wrong - I am not a fan of Linux, but the way MS is losing the focus, I don't think that I'll have a choice.

Can you imagine that such a huge following of Linux enthusiasts, who write for that OS is not, at some stage, going to encourage someone to create a 'new' FSX for the platform ? They would make a killing. Linux needs that killer app. I'd like it to be a flightsim...IMO X-Plane isn't that quite there yet. Now if a 'Team' got together to improve/develop FlightGear to the quality of what FSX is now, then wow....

Windows has so much bloat (necessary I suppose for a commercial undertaking to reduce piracy) that Linux just does not need. Even now Ubuntu is very fast on current hardware. At the rate that hardware is growing (I'm talking about the speed & capabilities of desktops and laptops) there has got to be someone out there who will be tempted to write a new sim.

Many FS users are pretty savvy re PCs, and I consider it is inevitable that as the use of Linux grows - which it is bound to do if MS continues to lose the big picture - those 'savvy' desktop and laptop users will leave Windows and become interested in programming something like Ubuntu. IMO MS have abandoned desktops. It is happening already - I have heard and read so many comments about Linux - 'Wow it is so FAST', It looks quite nice, and all those word processors and photograph editors are free ! It appears to me to cater for both enthusiasts and the GUI noobs.

I use Win 7 for only one reason - to fly FSX/FS2004. Premiere/Photoshop are nice, but seeing that Adobe are now moving to a subscription model I shall no doubt look more closely at a move to freeware/linux offerings. MS Word enthusiasts are already moaning about Word 2013.

If MS do speed up the move to Linux/Ubuntu or whatever, surely someone will take up the chance to write this 'new' FSX ? I hope so. Unlike Windows, where MS have appeared to 'bloat' and gradually negate any improvement  in hardware speeds over the years, (Remember how fast DOS used to be ?) Linux doesn't need that bloat. It is still a very slim platform, and appears to be becoming quite a professional product. It is growing on me.

I did program in assembler at one time - my efforts at cloud programming (i.e the misty type at altitude - nothing to do with this so-called 'net 'Cloud' business (What a load of codswallop) even ended up with Phil Taylor at MS, I suspect. Unfortunately I find it very difficult now ....

Come on, someone. Lets have a new 'FSX', 64 bit, for a freeware OS.

Regards
Bill

The problem is there should not be a brand new learning curve with every OS release, I work at a computer retail store and people are actually paying for a windows 7 license to downgrade from windows 8 devices. 90% of people are not tech savvy, so for me and you windows 8 might not be a difficult thing to learn but by a 45 yr old that is still using windows xp because he is "used to it" is a completely different story. You would be surprised how many people out there still dont want to make the move to windows 7, which is not much of a learning curve from windows xp. 

Im a 51 year old that has WinXP on my FS computer and Win 7 on my work laptop and my personal laptop.   I see no reason to migrate from either.  WinXp works just fine for my FS2004, which is what I like.    MS screwed up when they didnt provide a clean upgrade path from XP to Win7.   

Im not prepared to hassle with a total reinstall of FSand win7 on my highly tweaked FS PC.   The only reason I have win7 on my laptops is work mandated it and the personal laptop came with it.

Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

If you have enough cash to live comfortably, you'll love retirement. It took me about 18 months to really get in tune with it.

I'm afraid that if anyone has enough cash to live comfortably, the government will see it as their Party piggybank and figure out ways to take it.  Their new "chained CPI" is just a way to short-change seniors so that Social Security gradually loses ground to inflation, the ACA is cutting Medicare reimbursement so that already most primary care doctors won't take new Medicare patients, and all their borrowing and deficits will eventually cause inflation which will eat up fixed pensions.

@n4gix - one solution for the Office functionality is for everyone to use OpenOffice.................... :rolleyes:

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I'm afraid that if anyone has enough cash to live comfortably, the government will see it as their Party piggybank and figure out ways to take it.  Their new "chained CPI" is just a way to short-change seniors so that Social Security gradually loses ground to inflation, the ACA is cutting Medicare reimbursement so that already most primary care doctors won't take new Medicare patients, and all their borrowing and deficits will eventually cause inflation which will eat up fixed pensions.

On top of that, everyone's favorite conservative, Ronald Reagan, signed a bill taxing Social Security. Slick Wille increased the threshold. You are absolutely on target.

Im a 51 year old that has WinXP on my FS computer and Win 7 on my work laptop and my personal laptop. I see no reason to migrate from either. WinXp works just fine for my FS2004, which is what I like. MS screwed up when they didnt provide a clean upgrade path from XP to Win7.

Im not prepared to hassle with a total reinstall of FSand win7 on my highly tweaked FS PC. The only reason I have win7 on my laptops is work mandated it and the personal laptop came with it.

Eric

Yes, you have a reason to use a windows xp, you also may be knowledgeable. . As a daily pc for someone who clicks every link in their email is a different story. Each OS, including windows 8 is getting safer and safer against trojans, riskware, rootkits, etc.. windows xp is a great operating system that's why more than 30% of computer users still use it. But with end of life coming up next april, the best solution for an average joe is to migrate to another OS. Preferably windows 7.

@@n4gix - one solution for the Office functionality is for everyone to use OpenOffice.................... :rolleyes:

Or Libreoffice =D

Kacper Nowotynski

@n4gix - one solution for the Office functionality is for everyone to use OpenOffice.................... :rolleyes:

That's what I use on my newest dev machine, since I couldn't locate my MS disks... B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone as to what your comments have to do with either the topic or Flight Simulation.  I used to enjoy coming here but I see more and more politics and complaining than Flight Simulation discussions.