Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Thinking about going all out!

Looking at the 737 NGX, but also looking at buying the full Chief Pilots Manual Set for the 737NGX

Its expensive, comes to a whopping $330.00 before shipping. Also, since I'm going this far, might as well get the Angle of Attack 737 NGX training video which is impressive to say the least. 

9 hours plus of video on it! 

So after buying the software itself, the manual set, video, etc...  would it be worth it?

Lot of money I know, but I'd really like to dive head first into a detailed FSX simulation. 

What say the masses?

Jacob Sanders 

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

IMO I think you're mad. Buy the NGX and spend the rest on the 777 and some scenery... you'll use them more than you'll find yourself leafing through a very expensive dust magnet IMO.

Callum McLoughlin

I would also buy the NGX first, see if you like it, how it runs on your system etc before spending out on the extras all at once.

I've never been a scenery guy, I use FS and XPlane for the actual flying part... 

I much prefer great, accurate weather and a high fidelity aircraft to scenery.

As long as the airport and its instrument faculties reflect whats on the Jep or NOS charts I'm fine with it...  

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Support pmdg and buy all you can.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I'd love to be able to spend that much on the manuals set, they look engrossing! If the money isn't a problem then absolutely, go for it if it's what you want!

BUT having said that, these are horrendously overpriced. I picked up a complete A320 FCOM at an aviation fair last month for ONE POUND, complete in Airbus hard folder, with a pilot/trainee pilot's annotations still on the pages! A rare bargain find I know, but still. $330 for a set of manuals is a bit of a joke!

TBH it is easy enough to fly without $330 worth of manuals.

I only recently came back to simming 3 months ago after 6 years off and picked it up pretty fast.

You can hardly compare a one-off, second hand, buy with a purchase from a first hand, licensed source.

The real life manuals cost a lot more than what you're paying at PMDG.

I'd love to be able to spend that much on the manuals set, they look engrossing! If the money isn't a problem then absolutely, go for it if it's what you want!

BUT having said that, these are horrendously overpriced. I picked up a complete A320 FCOM at an aviation fair last month for ONE POUND, complete in Airbus hard folder, with a pilot/trainee pilot's annotations still on the pages! A rare bargain find I know, but still. $330 for a set of manuals is a bit of a joke!

Not sure they are worth it unless you really want to delve into the NGX big-time. If so, then sure why not if you have the coin.

Spend 150 USD for a 2nd monitor: That way you can read all the pdf files delivered with the NGX and browse the internet for some more (free) resources - while your NGX is in cruise flight.

You can hardly compare a one-off, second hand, buy with a purchase from a first hand, licensed source.

The real life manuals cost a lot more than what you're paying at PMDG.

I know, I made that point in my post, but they're still very overpriced given the amount of free online resources for the NGX, i.e. smartcockpit etc.

If money wasn't an object I would get them though, I love having hard copy stuff to look through rather than pdfs!

I fail to see why they are "overpriced". They're expensive, sure. But if you wanted to print the manuals in the same quality in your local copyshop, I'm sure it would cost you the same amount of money, if not more.

Also, as far as I know, PMDG are pretty much the only ones selling these manuals. Well, apart from some dodgy eBay stuff, and Boeing and Airbus themselves. But, unless you buy a real life aircraft there, I don't think they'll sell you the manuals.

So, as there really isn't a benchmark to compare them with, I don't think they are overpriced, just expensive.

(Mind you, I don't and won't buy them either. ;-) )

To each his own, I have bought the full NGX, MD-11 and T7 manual set. I like reading manuals and trying to get it all right. That is my hobby.

Others have a different view and other interests. I have no right to judge anyone because they don't appreciate the same things as I do, or choose to spend their money on other things ;)

Follow your gut feeling and enjoy :)

Cheers,

23.png