Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr340

Anyone ever seen any animals in FSX?

Today i was looking at my fsx box cover an i saw in one area that it should animals . But when i think about it i have never seen any animals in fsx yet . Am i the only one or have anyone seen animals in fsx ? If you have what part of the world did you see it? Also was it moving?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There is a safari mission where you see some elephants, as far as I remember.

They're definately in there. The mission mentioned above where you have to find a group of missing elephants which was one of my first experiences in FSX, there's another in the Acceleration Pack I believe where you fly a helicopter somewhere in Kenya and there's Giraffes, and there's the Hawaiian mission where at one point you go Whale spotting. You also see birds around thermals depending on your settings. I have no idea if they can be found outside of these missions since I've never revisited the areas, but my guess is no unless you have scenery which includes it.

It's really nothing special obviously, and I think they could actually have made better use of them what with full road traffic and boats, but as performance is tight enough already I think we should thank them for not simulating the animal kingdom lol.

They're definately in there. The mission mentioned above where you have to find a group of missing elephants which was one of my first experiences in FSX, there's another in the Acceleration Pack I believe where you fly a helicopter somewhere in Kenya and there's Giraffes, and there's the Hawaiian mission where at one point you go Whale spotting. You also see birds around thermals depending on your settings. I have no idea if they can be found outside of these missions since I've never revisited the areas, but my guess is no unless you have scenery which includes it.

It's really nothing special obviously, and I think they could actually have made better use of them what with full road traffic and boats, but as performance is tight enough already I think we should thank them for not simulating the animal kingdom lol.

Say that again i know FPS would have take a hit on performance . To be honest the only mission i did for fsx was the one you have to land in Area 51 . An another one in italy where you have to land in Rome i think . I have seen whale once flying at low altitude approaching for landing in Hawaii also birds around the airport but i always thought it was part of the payware scenery that i bought. 

There is a safari mission where you see some elephants, as far as I remember.

I will look into that  today an see thanks .

Should be stated that animals are are part of missions only.

Should be stated that animals are are part of missions only.

Thanks Jim now i see that very clearly .

I thought I saw some jackalopes in between Salt Lake City and Wendover, NV. Have to fly real low to see them.

If you mean FSX default I never saw animals but I saw dolphins in Tampa Saint Marteen :) and birds in UK 2000 London City.

I see a small flock of birds fly over me parked at the gate in KSFO frequently. I use flightbeams SFO. Not use if it is because of flightbeams or not, but I have not seen anything anywhere else.

Jeff

I'm still flying arouind hawaii and there are no birds. Don't get me wrong, I'm sort of glad there are no birds lol They'd also be a drag on my 4 year old 1 gig card ;)

Althougn it would be nice to see flocks take off as I fly over.

Yes, I saw a couple of eagles during a regular flight. I had screenies, but that HD is long gone. I don't recall where it was in the sim that I saw them but I definitely did see them.

That was a long time ago and have never replicated the sighting.

jime

I have seen birds around a few airports, and the thing that always puzzles me about them is, given how far away they are, how big are these things?

I find plenty of animals in Orbx scenery, from birds to cows... I once had to go-around because there were a bunch of cows in a runway.

There are very few animals in the FSX default scenery.

You can add a variety of static animals with payware scenery from PacSim, for example (bush-flying).

Various moving animals are included in a scenery/mission addon for Africa (from Aerosoft).

And ORBX employs creature flow in their FTX products.

That bird flock effect is used by many addon airports developers.

In many addon sceneries, yes, as has been mentioned before. In standard FSX they are limited to missions, as far as I have found out, but there are quite a lot of them in various missions - elephants and giraffes in the African Ranger mission, whales in the San Juan Islands and Hawaii missions, birds on various occasions ect.

In one of the missions, I think it was introduction to Mountain Flying that I seen a bear cross the runway. 

I think it was introduction to Mountain Flying that I seen a bear cross the runway.

That's possible; in the Yakutat mission there is even the danger of bears being on the RWY while you're on approach with an engine failure, IIRC.

I thought I saw some jackalopes in between Salt Lake City and Wendover, NV. Have to fly real low to see them.

What type of aircraft did you have or better yet which one would you choose from to get a better view of them ?

I find plenty of animals in Orbx scenery, from birds to cows... I once had to go-around because there were a bunch of cows in a runway.

Cows in a runway hehe that is funny . I could imagine how hard it was to land with cows in a runway lol. I would like to fly that approach . 

There are very few animals in the FSX default scenery.

You can add a variety of static animals with payware scenery from PacSim, for example (bush-flying).

Various moving animals are included in a scenery/mission addon for Africa (from Aerosoft).

And ORBX employs creature flow in their FTX products.

That bird flock effect is used by many addon airports developers.

Am going to check out ORBX today. I am going to check out FTX Fall City see what i can find .

Cows on any rural landclass in FSX would be great. Could some developer please make CowX?

Cows on any rural landclass in FSX would be great. Could some developer please make CowX?

Buy Orbx scenery like I did, then buy Instant Scenery like I did...and then go and grab animals from the bgl's in payware and the default fsx and place them wherever you like.  I have tons of stuff all over the place....most I can't share as freeware due to copy-write issues.

Funny indeed! :D

It happens in the Longview Ranch scenery from ORBX.

Wawo Orbx makes you wonder some time is this FSX or Some other simulator the quality work they bring in their stuff is amazing. It is like they are creating a world like the SIMS . Long time ago we didn't even had people now with Orbx is a brand new world. I think am going to do some shopping today at FTX . LongView Scenery from ORBX makes you think like if you were on vacation with your family at that scenery . I can't wait till FTX Global gets release .

Abacus offers a freeware app that can take mission scenery and turn it into add-on scenery.  I used the FSX Mission tool and the Abacus app to make orcas and dolphins swimming around the San Juan Islands. 

The FSX scenery library contains orcas, humpback whales, dolphins, birds, bears, elephants. zebras, sheep, giraffe, and people.  I don't know that all of them can be animated.

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/sceneobjects/

You might want to look in \simobjects\animals dir for the 6 default animals. Zebras? My \misc dir has one TBM Ghost. Maybe that's what we have been crashing into and didn't know it!

Dave

Buy Orbx scenery like I did, then buy Instant Scenery like I did...and then go and grab animals from the bgl's in payware and the default fsx and place them wherever you like.  I have tons of stuff all over the place....most I can't share as freeware due to copy-write issues.

Too bad it's not shareable -- though if it did not actually the objects from the payware libraries (just their placement) then it would be? Anyway, good suggestion, thank you.