Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

If It Isn't an Airliner - Why No Full Tutorial?

Also , people can seek help on the MV forums. Heck I bet a few people here could help.

That goes for most planes. I admit for the AN-2 (which I don't have), the cockpit labels would be difficult to learn, but I hope there'd be some YT vids or something to help me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Also , people can seek help on the MV forums. Heck I bet a few people here could help.

That goes for most planes. I admit for the AN-2 (which I don't have), the cockpit labels would be difficult to learn, but I hope there'd be some YT vids or something to help me.

Sorry for going off-topic:

The Aerosoft Airbus (AAX) has a very detailed and thorough tutorial flight from cold&dark until shutdown. Most support requests on the Aerosoft forum derive from people not reading it ...  

The Aerosoft Airbus (AAX) has a very detailed and thorough tutorial flight from cold&dark until shutdown. Most support requests on the Aerosoft forum derive from people not reading it ...

Yup...same is true for the PMDG J41.  If I had a nickle for every start lock thread I would donate it for Ryan's therapy.  LOL.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thanks!  Feel free to throw in a massage!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sorry for going off-topic:

At the risk of a volley of shots coming my way (in which case i am going to ask that the 1% not mentioned in this statistic to please remain silent), I will toss a bit of developer's humor in here, the thing that makes me smile wryly when ever the mention of manuals comes up in internal Milviz conversations. 99% of the eventual users dont read em. At all. I often sit back and wonder why we bother including a full on manual but then i remember that it is one of those so damned if you do, sadam'd if you dont things....

As for tutorial flights, thats another story. At the time of development of the F-15E (when we were all still new to modern warbirds) it wasnt within our resources due to how much was already spent on the project(unlike some others who can absorb the cost of time and money spent on the team or themselves).

DISCLAIMER

"The following is in no ways to be considered as coming from Milviz, but rather a personal idea that has been hanging around in the writer's mind".

For the past year or so i have often been considering the idea including of virtual, interactive, instructors (both audio and text) with training missions. However (for this reason i added the disclaimer), I cannot make a promise out of it because:

a) The programming involved will be immense since I would have to totally bypass the FSX mission system which as far as im concerned, is a piece of junk anyway.

b ) As one of the more....upper level programmers at Milviz I tend to have my hands full with bits and pieces from 3+ projects at a time. The others on the team dont quite have to be all over the place and as such things progress at the desired rate most of the time but...I dont have much time for personal hobby projects for Milviz projects.

P.S. AVSIM staff I hope you dont mind this...But if there is anyone who has a fairly decent skill with C++, and a fair amount of free time, and are not tied up with other devs already I would LOVE to share some of my workload.

Sincerely,

Overstressed developer

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

(...) 99% of the eventual users dont read em. At all. I often sit back and wonder why we bother including a full on manual but then i remember that it is one of those so damned if you do, sadam'd if you dont things.... (...)

I never studied the Airbus (AAX) tutorial in depth myself. I never performed the tutorial flight myself.

But I told fellow simmers time and time again how important exactly that is ...   :lol:  :rolleyes:  :P

olli4740, on 21 Jun 2013 - 5:17 PM, said:

What we have here is a clear case of not RTFM ...

That may be true, but there is more than one way to point it out. Also, customers are allowed to be idiots, producers aren't. At least not if they want to make any money. MilViz (the person) keeps banging on about how much work his people puts into each product and how they deserve respect for that. Well, he can start showing them some respect by not being a complete ###### and scaring away potential customers.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

That may be true, but there is more than one way to point it out. Also, customers are allowed to be idiots, producers aren't. At least not if they want to make any money. MilViz (the person) keeps banging on about how much work his people puts into each product and how they deserve respect for that. Well, he can start showing them some respect by not being a complete ###### and scaring away potential customers.

He already apologised and anyway, its normally other devs on the team (the ones who did the systems and such) who answer most questions. I would respectfully request that those here start cutting him a little slack.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Narutokun, on 21 Jun 2013 - 6:17 PM, said:

He already apologised and ...

That's great and all but it doesn't quite restore status quo. You have a problem that is costing you sales. How you choose to deal with it is up to you.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Answer A:

(...) 3 video tutorials on how to start the plane, fight the plane against another plane and do some mudmoving, a full set of manuals, a quick start guide and he's asking for MORE????  All that and at less than 40$?

(...)

Answer B (No offence intended, Dave! I'm just too lazy to type one of those myself.)

(...)
2. "Thanks for the feedback. We'll have a look at creating a tutorial"
(...)

I prefer answer A: It's honest, clear and straight and won't leave me in the dark (like B does ...).

(Again, Dave, you just coincidentally happened to provide an alternative for A.)

Question to Milviz:

When will you start to develop my type of aircraft? PayPal ready ...

...I was hoping to avoid going into the topic of psychology and human nature and such....im not unaware of the potential loss of sales.

But to those individuals who believe it is entirely someone elses problem, I can only say what I have been taught by my parents since i was a child. And it has helped me work alongside, and infact view as good friends, those who you view as rude, difficult, etc etc etc...

You are the one who decides how you feel. You are responsible for your emotions, your thoughts, your character. If you say "He/She made me mad" or "He/She makes me feel like an idiot", then you are in effect, letting others control you. In actual fact the truth is "I made myself mad" or "I made myself feel like an idiot". When i started to work at Milviz I resolved that i would pass over any bluntness/rudeness/lack of tact/anger that came my way and look for the best in those individuals. Naturally when it comes to personal attacks with with Direct Malicious Intent then you cannot let it pass by but in any other case, you are completely responsible for all of your decisions, feelings, and thoughts. I will admit it is hard at times but it is never impossible. In short, it isnt fair or right to blame someone else for your choice.

Rant over, im out.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Milviz apologized. I consider that issue closed.

Now, back on topic.

One of the most valuable things a developer can include is a simple tutorial flight from say, Cincinnati to St Louis to help someone learn how to operate the aircraft as a complete flight event. Not every system needs to be explained or every switch described. Sometimes comprehensive flight manuals make things more difficult as you have to jump from page 80 to 129 and then back to 52. It is exhausting, especially for a complicated aircraft.

A tutorial gives the feeling of having an instructor let you take the controls with guidance on how the flow of operations occur during an typical flight. Flying a tutorial a couple times really lets you realize not just how the systems operate but why and how they operate together to form the synergy of a complete process. It need not be overly complicated or lengthy.

That is the point of this thread.

So,...how's that BE350, Avanti II, Bell 407 and MUII coming along... :)

Never mind...found the answer you were about to give...  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jzN3yJXlWrg#t=164s

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM