Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

We're cracking the FS9 city texture problem!

Which is what I said yonky donks ago.

It's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that many children visit this forum.  There is no need to use such language!

I am chagrined.

Will it look better? Yes, it will, but it's not because of 1024 textures, it's because higher resolution textures were used to begin with.

But it won't look better than those same 1024 textures reduced properly to 256. This idea of using 1024 textures in FS9 is like having a guitar amplifier with a volume knob that goes up to eleven. :lol:

This idea of using 1024 textures in FS9 is like having a guitar amplifier with a volume knob that goes up to eleven. :lol:

So it is possible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

So I'm just wondering.  What resolution are the converted textures in the pic?  If I remember correctly, the default FSX textures are 512 right?

Guys, I am very interested in this topic but curious about one thing. Does this only work with the default FSX textures? If you havent seen them they look rubbish in FSX, first thing I did with FSX was go with GE Pro and ORBX.

I still want to keep my FS9 alive for many years to come, anyone know if it would be possible to get GEX textures converted?

Cheers

Rob Prest

Some of those tiles say 1024 I think. Exact same tile in fsx when I compared also said 1024 which was interesting.

I just looked at the back of the GEX box and it says 1024.  My bad.

I still want to keep my FS9 alive for many years to come, anyone know if it would be possible to get GEX textures converted?

Cheers

I don't see why not.  Afterall, GEX was made to replace default FSX textures.

Guys, I am very interested in this topic but curious about one thing. Does this only work with the default FSX textures? If you havent seen them they look rubbish in FSX, first thing I did with FSX was go with GE Pro and ORBX.

Cheers

I don't see why any FSX type ground textures wouldn't work in FS9.  I agree with your point about FSX default textures that's why I'm working at figuring out which one's are the actual city textures.   Jon tried this out first in his sim and basically took a project someone else had done to convert all FSX textures to FS9 standard and had great success with this look in FS9.  I for one don't want to replace all my FS9 GE Pro (and whatever else) custom textures for FSX's default but if FSX textures work with conversion GEX should be able to do the same.  We just need to figure out which ones are for the city/suburban areas both day and night.  That's really all I want.  All of your guesses are good as mine at this point. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Ok good luck, if you need help figuring anything out let me know, should have some free time in a few weeks and it sounds like a good project.

Rob Prest

We just need to figure out which ones are for the city/suburban areas both day and night.  That's really all I want.  All of your guesses are good as mine at this point. 

Those are all listed in the FS9 terrain SDK in a doc named oddly enough, "TerrainTextureNames.doc".

Jim

Those are all listed in the FS9 terrain SDK in a doc named oddly enough, "TerrainTextureNames.doc".

Jim

Thanks!!!

FS2020 

Lol, no worries. That's the hard way BTW, the easy way is to imprint the filenames on a special set of textures with nconvert.exe and a batch file:

fs9_texture_names.jpg

This is some really amazing stuff

Weird science.  Let's see if it translates to practical for the masses ....... especially for those without FSX.

Weird science. Let's see if it translates to practical for the masses ....... especially for those without FSX.

FSX is priced at around $25.00 these days. For the sake of what we're doing here you'll need to get a copy until custom ground city textures are made for FS9. Those with GEX and other FSX scenery can use what they have. I only own FSX so I'll use the SDK to find the textures I want.

FS2020 

Let's see if it translates to practical for the masses ....... especially for those without FSX.

Which, unfortunately, is going to be illegal to distribute.

If your going to do it for yourself and you have the textures, use the Orbx textures and don't waste your time on the FSX or GEX ones. The difference is very noticeable, as Orbx trumps all the other contenders.

Weird science.  Let's see if it translates to practical for the masses ....... especially for those without FSX.

The practical part would be in the How-To Guide.