Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dillon

We're cracking the FS9 city texture problem!

GE Pro versus what can now be done in FS9 (and this is just the start)...

Images courtesy of 'Jon_aus'.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, this looks almost too good to be true...

I am almost tempted to reinstall fs9.

Any more info on this?

Luc Brusselmans

Oh, hell yes!  What's the source of the hd texture?  Looks like default FSX?

Any performance hit?

If this isn't difficult to do, I hope to use GEX textures in FS9 B) .

Well, this looks almost too good to be true...

I am almost tempted to reinstall fs9.

Any more info on this?

Luc Brusselmans

For anyone who has FSX it's just those city textures converted to 1024x1024 size for use in FS9. Any city ground textures for FSX can be converted for FS9 in this way. I own a copy of FSX so it's a none issue for me. From here we know FS9 can display better scenery textures than what people were telling us now comes creating custom textures that look even better in the confines of 1024x1024 resolution.

Any city ground textures for FSX can be converted for FS9 in this way

Are you or perhaps someone else going to provide some direction on how to carry this out, or is it going to be something that will be done and then sold?

I don't think they'll be selling it... unless they purchased the rights to FSX (it's where the textures are coming from).

I don't think they'll be selling it... unless they purchased the rights to FSX (it's where the textures are coming from).

Yeah....good point.

Correct, a how to is the only option at this point. We found someone that did it and Jon tried it to see how it looks. I would love to get with a group of guys and expand this further now that we know this is possible. City textures could rival FSX like Zinertech's Water does with water.

Looking forward to the "how to" guide.  I'd love to help out but I don't have any texture editing skills :( . 

Does it cover forest and field areas as well?  I don't know if they're seperate or as part of the city textures.

Ya, FS9 just keeps on rolling

Someone needs to tell Flight beam, FSDT and Aerosoft this.... :P

Someone needs to tell Flight beam, FSDT and Aerosoft this....

Nuh ... their head's in another space right now.

City textures could rival FSX like Zinertech's Water does with water.

Was just going through this thread again and I have to respectfully disagree with you there, Dillon. I don't see how textures taken from FSX, and converted to FS9 use could rival FSX. It's FSX textures and when the same textures are used in FS9, I don't see how it could rival FSX. It should look the same with an edge going to FSX for its larger LOD radius.

Also, Zinertek water for FS9 can't even come close to FSX water, especially the good ones from REX2. There's just no comparison when it comes to animation, color and vibrancy of the water.

Was just going through this thread again and I have to respectfully disagree with you there, Dillon. I don't see how textures taken from FSX, and converted to FS9 use could rival FSX. It's FSX textures and when the same textures are used in FS9, I don't see how it could rival FSX. It should look the same with an edge going to FSX for its larger LOD radius.

Also, Zinertek water for FS9 can't even come close to FSX water, especially the good ones from REX2. There's just no comparison when it comes to animation, color and vibrancy of the water.

First off this is just the start since what was previously thought impossible is actually possible. We have always been told FSX style city textures couldn't be had in any kind of way in FS9. We've proved that's not the case. No it won't look as sharp as FSX but it can be improved upon to look allot better than what we currently have using default or GE Pro. Concerning FSX textures looking better in FS9 than FSX, that is not what I was saying. What I was actually saying is after seeing what FSX textures can do we can move forward with a freeware or payware product with custom textures that'll look like what we've all been asking for. The first point was proving to FSXer's and Aerosoft types that GE Pro was not the best that could be done. Now that's been debunked we can move forward. As of now any FSX ground textures can be used in FS9 with a simple modification. No one wanted to admit this before and the rest sat back and drank the coolaide. Things like what Orbix is producing now is not possible but (for me at least) the last hurdle that made FS9 look crappy in areas has been addressed, we just need to expand on that. Until we have a replacement for both FSX and FS9 both are hear to stay and for us using FS9 it's to our best interest to constantly improve it if we can.

Concerning Zinertech's Water is another great example of what's not supposed to be possible in FS9 (it's like we've got to keep proving this over and over to you guys). No one is saying it's on the level of FSX but for those of us using FS9 this is a nice alternative coupled with a trouble free sim and stellar performance:

Please, let's not get this one locked. I'm enjoying reading the about the progress.

Dillon, why don't you just tell us what FSX textures (filenames, folder) to convert?