Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Ethopian B787 fire incident at Heathrow

On a related note, I am on vacation in India, and had a stopover at Heathrow on Sunday morning.  After landing on 27L, I found a strange bird at the cargo parking area next to a DHL 757.   It was what I believe to be the Ethiopian 787 involved in in the incident.  Didn't see the fire damage, as it was parked with the starboard side facing me, but that had to be the aircraft involved.   On the taxi to the gate saw it's apparent replacement at a remote stand near the terminal 5 area, an Ethiopian 777.    Never witnessed any 787s in the wild before, saw 2 more, a UAL on takeoff while I was inside terminal 5, and an Air India taxing for takeoff from Terminal 4.

Sad to hear the Ethiopian airframe is going to be written off as a total loss.

On a related note, I am on vacation in India, and had a stopover at Heathrow on Sunday morning. After landing on 27L, I found a strange bird at the cargo parking area next to a DHL 757. It was what I believe to be the Ethiopian 787 involved in in the incident. Didn't see the fire damage, as it was parked with the starboard side facing me, but that had to be the aircraft involved. On the taxi to the gate saw it's apparent replacement at a remote stand near the terminal 5 area, an Ethiopian 777. Never witnessed any 787s in the wild before, saw 2 more, a UAL on takeoff while I was inside terminal 5, and an Air India taxing for takeoff from Terminal 4.

Sad to hear the Ethiopian airframe is going to be written off as a total loss.

Like I said in another thread, it is strange this problem is unique to the 787, the ELTs. Airlines that are proactive have already put the issue under the spotlight apparently.

Well it will be even worse if this inflight and Boeing's electrical problems surface again. A few hundred dead people is FAR worse than a hull loss.

But a hull loss speaks very loudly. Such a new aircraft that is written off. Has this happened with the 777s or other Boeing's?