Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Ethopian B787 fire incident at Heathrow

Not only did this 787 have issues today, but at exactly the same time Thomson 126 (787) flying from Manchester to Sanford, was in a holding pattern for approximately one hour before returning to Manchester. 

That makes two 787 incidents on the same day, at roughly the same time, in the same country. 

I'm hearing that significant damage was done to the rear part of the aircraft, Boeing is not going to be happy at all. Another fire on board, at least it happened on the ground. 

I'm curious as to whether it'll be grounded again now this time... 

Here's the above image for anyone interested...

photo1.jpg

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Indeed, this could potentially be embarrassing for Boeing if the stories of the Thomson 787 emergency are also true. Seems an odd place for fire damage - is anyone familiar with the internal layout of the 787?

Flying back from Qatar to London a few weeks ago, I wait listed myself using my ID90 ticket & requested not to put on a 787, first time I have ever had to do something like that.

Only two aircraft I refuse to fly on right now is the 737 Jurassic and 787.

Rob Prest

Anyone know how to repair and replace burnt composites? Back in my day we'd just remove the unit, but I don't think you can do that with an entire tail section. It couldn't be a write off could it?  :mellow:  :huh:

Wonder how this is effecting the 787s ambitions for ETOPS. I'd feel very uncomfortable at the minute taking on of them more than 60 mins from an airport...  :(

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I knew I didn't trust Boeing's workaround. I am not flying 787s at all now. They have gone too far.

Indeed, this could potentially be embarrassing for Boeing if the stories of the Thomson 787 emergency are also true. Seems an odd place for fire damage - is anyone familiar with the internal layout of the 787?

There is a battery area right below where that photo shows the damage, if i'm not mistaken.

787-Battery.jpg

photo1.jpg

As the aircraft was on the ground, the likelihood of the APU running/startup is a possibility, and that above diagram shows the APU battery is located where the fire damage appears to be.

Is the entrance to the crew rest area at the rear of the aircraft?

Is the entrance to the crew rest area at the rear of the aircraft?

Might be, but I don't think it's related as there were no crew or pilots on board the aircraft for most of the day...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg