Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

16JUL13 - Planned Server Outages: Don't Panic!

You got a point there. But I loved the B737 before PMDG made one. I even waited for the PMDG one and didn't buy the "made in China" one (was that the iFly?).

My point is, when I buy it, even though I KNOW it will be a virtuously out-of-bug release (I know our Capt'n and first officers are working hard on that right now) I still want to see the first flight of it in youtube...see what the first customers say, and see what Air Daily X has to say about it ^_^ :lol: B)

You make it look like as if the competition is fierce out there with at least an offering or two from other developers!

After my dumb decision buying the CS777 simply because "I couldn't wait", I think anything from PMDG with a couple of bugs will be adaptable with B)

Years back, we used to buy japanese-made watches and gadgets without questions. And I think that applies to a PMDG products, let alone when they start making their addons for X-plane! :wub:

You know, waiting for the best gives you a longer enjoyment of the product you were waiting for. That's why I didn't want to buy the iFly NGX nor do I want to buy CS's 777.

And no, X-Plane is not in my books. When P3D comes out with a 64 bit version, then yes...

Did the servers ever get taken down?

If they did - probably affected more things such as activations, tickets etc. I'd assume it's done since this topic is now unpinned.

As one aviation legend so aptly said -- "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

I dig that "Flying High" reference.

Cool.

You know, waiting for the best gives you a longer enjoyment of the product you were waiting for. That's why I didn't want to buy the iFly NGX nor do I want to buy CS's 777.

I think you mean the iFly NG...the NGX is not an aircraft, but rather a simulation of the NG for fsX by PMDG only  :P

I think you mean the iFly NG...the NGX is not an aircraft, but rather a simulation of the NG for fsX by PMDG only :P

Hahaha! Yes, true!

Did the servers ever get taken down?

My best guess is that PMDG uses a cloud environment, they probably pulled services off one at a time which may have caused an outage under certain load conditions.

As a server administrator myself, I will announce an outage if I feel that something may cause a slight disruption in a users ability to access resources. The last time I announced an outage, a server needed to be restarted due to a software installation; I quoted the server would be down for 10 minutes from 1:00am to 1:10am, in reality the server was down from 1:01am to around 1:02am. Notifications simply keep users informed if something may be abnormal. As RSR says, "Don't panic".

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I'm guessing some time in August based on past notices about server downtime in preparation for release.

Best regards,

Robin.

Sent from my Turing Machine.

SVA1181, on 17 Jul 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

I always avoid arguments because it leads nowhere and It is clear that we argued for a silly misunderstanding. surprisingly we are on the same page regarding PMDG 777 release, so let me end this thing by apologizing on behalf of the two of us to all PMDG and avsim teams and members.

believe it or not, I am relaxed as this one B)

yoga-dog.jpg

HAHA LOVE that pic! Apology accepted and I too am sorry. This damn T7 has us worked up.

I'm on final approach to my zen zone.

After my dumb decision buying the CS777 simply because "I couldn't wait", I think anything from PMDG with a couple of bugs will be adaptable with

I made the same mistake and complained so hard I think I got banned from their forums.  If you don't lay in the bed with them over there you're going to have a bad time.  

If you don't lay in the bed with them over there you're going to have a bad time.  

I think more than that  :wink:

My best guess is that PMDG uses a cloud environment, they probably pulled services off one at a time which may have caused an outage under certain load conditions.

As a server administrator myself, I will announce an outage if I feel that something may cause a slight disruption in a users ability to access resources. The last time I announced an outage, a server needed to be restarted due to a software installation; I quoted the server would be down for 10 minutes from 1:00am to 1:10am, in reality the server was down from 1:01am to around 1:02am. Notifications simply keep users informed if something may be abnormal. As RSR says, "Don't panic".

No rationale behind this announcement other than marketing it hink. RSR is a master of suspense and he plays with us.

I'll get excited when that plane on their facebook page gets moving. It's still at CRZ above the mountains. WIth the 737 they did the approach / touch down thingie and everyone went bazurk.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

No rationale behind this announcement other than marketing it hink. RSR is a master of suspense and he plays with us.

I'll get excited when that plane on their facebook page gets moving. It's still at CRZ above the mountains. WIth the 737 they did the approach / touch down thingie and everyone went bazurk.

Maybe this time they will trick everyone and just do a touch and go!