Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rsperge

convince me whjy I should buy FTX Global/own UTX/GEX

Finally have fsx running pretty good after so many years.

My setup: 3770K 4.4ghz,P8z77-VPro, CoolMaster Half 932, 8 gigs 1866, 780GTX, H80, Windows7, 64 bits.

Currently own, UTX/GEX, Rex essential plus,  what will this new addon do these addons,

I also own many airports from Fs dreamteam, Flytampa, Latin VFR, and Flightbeam  - I really enjoy these airports from these developers, what will FTX Global change in them.

Basically here it is folks, why should I purchase this addon, which  have been hearing about for the last year ?  Is it that good??????

I really want to buy FTX Global, but really need to be pursaded!!!!

Let me know the good, the bad, the ugly.!!!!!!!!!

Does it effect performance ?  Yes I am having a good time finally with FSX, but always looking to improve.

thanks, Ronny

Finally have fsx running pretty good after so many years.

My setup: 3770K 4.4ghz,P8z77-VPro, CoolMaster Half 932, 8 gigs 1866, 780GTX, H80, Windows7, 64 bits.

Currently own, UTX/GEX, Rex essential plus,  what will this new addon do these addons,

I also own many airports from Fs dreamteam, Flytampa, Latin VFR, and Flightbeam  - I really enjoy these airports from these developers, what will FTX Global change in them.

Basically here it is folks, why should I purchase this addon, which  have been hearing about for the last year ?  Is it that good??????

I really want to buy FTX Global, but really need to be pursaded!!!!

Let me know the good, the bad, the ugly.!!!!!!!!!

Does it effect performance ?  Yes I am having a good time finally with FSX, but always looking to improve.

thanks, Ronny

Read the 6,245.62 posts for a thumb's up already on this forum.... (smile!)

No regrets, and 0 hit on FPS on my system during the day. I go down only 1-2 FPS over heavy use of night lighting. That in no way causes any loss of fluidity. Great performance pre and post install in the long use of....

You've been hearing about it for a year. Have you actually gone to their forums and kept up on the progress? If you haven't, do so and inform yourself before purchase. Lots of good info.

I'm on the same boat as you Ronny.  I have GEX/UTX.

I almost purchased Global last night but realized I did not make a back up of the original textures when I installed GEX.  Can Global overwrite GEX properly, or do I have to use default ground textures before installing Global?

I'm on the same boat as you Ronny. I have GEX/UTX.

I almost purchased Global last night but realized I did not make a back up of the original textures when I installed GEX. Can Global overwrite GEX properly, or do I have to use default ground textures before installing Global?

I believe GEX restores the backup when you uninstall it.

I.e., just uninstall GEX, then install FTX Global.

I believe GEX restores the backup when you uninstall it.

I.e., just uninstall GEX, then install FTX Global.

Hi Trevor,

When installing GEX, it asks you if you want to make a backup of the original.  I chose not to.  So I only have GEX textures.

I have UTX and HAD GEX textures.  I still have FS Genesis Landclass (you need a landclass with FX Global).  I deleted GEX and bought FX Global.  I have never been happier with my sim experience.  Global really puts some "meat" into the scenery, and the night lighting in Global does NOTHING to the frame rates, unlike GEX. 

One of the best moves I've made this year.

Stan

I deleted GEX and bought FX Global.

Hi Stan,

Did you restore the original fsx textures before deleting GEX or did you overwrite GEX textures with Global?  I really want to try Global now after reading some of the threads here.

Hi Stan,

Did you restore the original fsx textures before deleting GEX or did you overwrite GEX textures with Global?  I really want to try Global now after reading some of the threads here.

I followed the clear directions, and restored the original textures through the FTX CENTRAL icon on my desktop.  Then I deleted GEX with the UNINSTALL tool in the GEX Folder.  Finally, I installed Global.

Stan

Thanks Stan.  I don't have any FTX product yet and this would be my first.

Looks like I may have made a back up after all.  I found a "history" file in my GEX folder which said I made an initial back up.  Looked up the dates and it looks like GEX was backed up and installed a day after I installed fsx.  I've done so many fsx installs that I got confused.  It was probably a prior install that I didn't make a back up for.

Looks like I'm going to have my first FTX product by the end of the week.  I'm so excited.

I just installed over GEX without uninstalling or reverting to the default textures first and haven't had a problem.  I did so on the basis that if I did want to revert, I'd want to revert back to GEX, and that I've got the deep-techie Windows knowledge to manually remove all traces of GEX once I was happy with FTXG

(I don't recommend that for everyone.  Automated software delivery and installation used to be my professional speciality, and I can do things with the Windows registry that would make the angels weep.  For everyone else I'd say just forget about the remnants of GEX until your next clean reformat and reinstall.  It won't affect anything.  Or uninstall it first if you prefer.)

Dr V

I just installed over GEX without uninstalling or reverting to the default textures first and haven't had a problem.  I did so on the basis that if I did want to revert, I'd want to revert back to GEX, and that I've got the deep-techie Windows knowledge to manually remove all traces of GEX once I was happy with FTXG

(I don't recommend that for everyone.  Automated software delivery and installation used to be my professional speciality, and I can do things with the Windows registry that would make the angels weep.  For everyone else I'd say just forget about the remnants of GEX until your next clean reformat and reinstall.  It won't affect anything.  Or uninstall it first if you prefer.)

Dr V

Excellent.  Thank you Dr V.  Ha ha that part about making angels weep cracked me up.

Guest ecg

I'm on the same boat as you Ronny. I have GEX/UTX.

I almost purchased Global last night but realized I did not make a back up of the original textures when I installed GEX. Can Global overwrite GEX properly, or do I have to use default ground textures before installing Global?

Here is a link to the manual. Does not require a log in to the Orbx forums.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61846-ftx-global-user-guide-pdf/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The night lights. The night lights are not just in random spots like UTX, they are actually where the ground illuminates from the night textures, giving them the appearance that they are "lighting" up the ground. They are amazing.

The night lights. The night lights are not just in random spots like UTX, they are actually where the ground illuminates from the night textures, giving them the appearance that they are "lighting" up the ground. They are amazing.

Argh!  Stop it! :wink:  :Just Kidding: I have to wait almost a week before I can get my hands on this, and the night lighting is one of the things I'm really looking forward to.  After hearing that fps hit is minimal, I'm excited.

Are the number of lights controlled by the autogen or scenery complexity slider?

I just installed FTX Global over GEX and all is fine. Much better than GEX Eu in combination with UTX. Very happy.

You still need UTX of course. GEX and UTX are not an exclusive combination. In fact, FTX Global will be much better WITH UTX than without.

And one correction to a post above, GEX doesnt provide any 3D night lighting. That is only provided with UTX.

I have also been on the fence about purchasing FTXG…I currently have UTX / GEX for FSX. My original plan was to wait until P3D 2.0 and then get FTXG for that sim.

However, screens and vids of FTXG look pretty good…some close to GEX and some better than GEX. I am just trying to hold off spending any more $$$ on FSX, and wait to see what P3D 2.0 brings into the mix and how FTXG will enhance that experience.

AUD 100?  =£60? =US $90? =€70?  When you already have UTX/GEX?

The PMDG 737NGX is $70 and it's reasonable to assume the B777 will be in the same ballpark.  The Majestic Q400 is £40.

If you didn't have GEX I'd understand it but as you do, at this price I remain to be convinced.

If you already own GEX its maybe not worth the upgrade too FTXG. Depends if you like the screenshots or not.

$100 though...a little pricey...?

I don't think so. You get new textures all over the globe. If you want to cover the globe with GEX textures (which is impossible because it doesn't cover the entire globe yet) it will cost you a LOT more. You get absolutely great night lighting that hardly costs fps. Something similar (which doesn't exist, at least NOT without a loss performance) would cost something like 20 bucks on its own. And if you happen to own Orbx regions, you can now use those all together at once (although that's of course something Orbx should have taken care off long ago already). I do agree though that it's a tough call when you already own a lot of GEX regions... If you don't, then it's almost a no brainer imho. But well, I have always liked the FTX look a lot...

Depends if you like the screenshots or not.

Well, that's the problem with an addon like this. Or with any scenery addon. You have to see it in motion. And don't forget that a lot of user screenshots look rather crappy (due to low settings, bad setup PC, not too good camera action, odd ENB settings, etc.). I often take screenshots because I am often amazed at what I see during a flight. But when I shut down FSX and have a look at all the screenshots I made, most of them disappoint me: you REALLY have to see it in action!