Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

FTX Global, is it worth it?

I'm sorry, but I don't like that this topic has been moved. Sometimes the AVSIM Staff goes a bit far with regard to that in my opinion.

The reason why I posted it in the MS FSX Forum is because:

1. It is much more populated

2. It gives a much more independent view on the product than in the ORBX Forums

Regarding the lack of a performance hit, do the FTX lights still lower fps? Or have those problems been eliminated as well?

Daniel Miller

Arjen,

Plenty of "independant" views in this forum as well. Just have a look at the recent threads.

As for moving the topic, sorry but there were so many FTXG threads that we had to move them somewhere. The Orbx forum seemed the right place  :wink:

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Regarding the lack of a performance hit, do the FTX lights still lower fps? Or have those problems been eliminated as well?

The lights are just autogen. They don't affect performance on my system.

autogen doesn't affect performance?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Is it worth it? Seeing I installed it and then got rid of it from my FSX installation, I would say no. For the areas I fly I saw too much green (Northern portions of the Canadian Prairies) or virtually no change (BC PNW, for which I have the full Orbx region).

I almost certainly will reinstall FTX Global once Orbx releases the openLC for North America, and when that happens I am quite sure I will be able to say that it was worth it.

The night lighting on a global scale, is worth it to me. To me that's an added bonus.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Quite simply a must, this revitalises FSX on a global scale and is about as close to what might have been FSXI.

For the areas I fly I saw too much green (Northern portions of the Canadian Prairies) ...

I almost certainly will reinstall FTX Global once Orbx releases the openLC for North America, and when that happens I am quite sure I will be able to say that it was worth it.

This echoes my experience as well regarding many of the places I have been flying outside of my dedicated ORBX regions - much too much green, and too many trees where there should be none or very few - so I bought the SceneryTech Landclass layer, and it helps in many places, but also hurts in others (not unlike FTX-G overall). That said, FTX-G allows me to go just about anywhere in the world on a whim to fly and have a pretty enjoyable experience, so once the ORBX OpenLC layers become available, and provide both some extra specially focused textures and land class info that of course will be "aware" of the entire FTX-G texture palate, things should start to look very good indeed, both from a display and value POV...

Once again been away from FSX for a while, but I'm planning to start playing it again on frequent basis whenever I can (in the weekend). 

So I noticed this long awaited product has been released around two months ago. I saw some product features and I quite impressed but I was even more impressed when I saw a video review about it saying that these claims/features were actually true.

I'm just curious what opinion others have on this product. Is there really no FPS loss at all? What about the night lightning? Is it worth it?

And oh, how come it's so cheap? FlightSim Store is selling it for AUD$99 and I read somewhere it was gonna cost $AUD195 or something? How come?

Is it worth it? Abso-frickin-lutely!

Do yourself a favor and ignore NickN and all of his dispersions.

FS Global changes the ground like how REX changes the sky. Totally worth it.

Danny F

IMO it is worth every cent, and then some.

As some other posters wrote, I am now flying all over the world. The textures are just magnificent. Also autogen, trees, etc.

No FPS hit at all, even with the new DX9 compliant ORBX lights; sometime in the near future we will have Steve’s fix for the same lights running on DX10.

And with future LC addons plus scenery areas I/(we)  will have a "completely" new FSX package.
Then just add whatever your heart desires and build on it.

Cheers

Is it worth it? Abso-frickin-lutely!

Do yourself a favor and ignore NickN and all of his dispersions.

NickN,  wasn't he this guy from Flight One, and thus Ground Environment Xtreme, FTX Global's main competitor?

Then of course that's what a person like him would do. :lol:

Since it's release I've been flying in and out of parts of the world I never bothered with before. On a tour of the Baltic's as we speak..would of been unheard of a few weeks ago. Worth every cent.

NickN, wasn't he this guy from Flight One, and thus Ground Environment Xtreme, FTX Global's main competitor?

Then of course that's what a person like him would do. :lol:

Well, yes. But I'm sure he's completely objective.