Sign in to follow this  
asdro

Altitude callouts quality not so good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0E4gkixJ8

Watch this. The 1000, 100, 50 40 30 20 10 callouts sound beautiful. The rest of them though, plus hundred, decision height, 400, 300 and 200 sound awful, like they didn't use their own samples, but some others which were edited and of which the volume was increased massively in some audio editing program, resulting in bad quality. 

Anyone who can't hear the difference must be hearing impaired. Anyone else who doesn't care, that's your choice. I do care, but it will not by any means be a gamebreaker for me. Not by far in fact, I will be 99.9% happy if this is what we'd get. 

Oh, and please don't bash the topic starter, he's just pointing out something, not complaining. Constructive feedback is only what will make it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0E4gkixJ8

Watch this. The 1000, 100, 50 40 30 20 10 callouts sound beautiful. The rest of them though, plus hundred, decision height, 400, 300 and 200 sound awful, like they didn't use their own samples, but some others which were edited and of which the volume was increased massively in some audio editing program, resulting in bad quality. 

Anyone who can't hear the difference must be hearing impaired. Anyone else who doesn't care, that's your choice. I do care, but it will not by any means be a gamebreaker for me. Not by far in fact, I will be 99.9% happy if this is what we'd get. 

Oh, and please don't bash the topic starter, he's just pointing out something, not complaining. Constructive feedback is only what will make it better.

I Watched the video again and compared it to a few real 777 landing videos I could get hold of. Note that the Decision height, 400,300 and 200 sounds are rarely used options on real 777s so its kinda hard to see your point. Could you post a link to a comparable real life video please?

But they're both using the exact same altitude callouts! *royal facepalm*

Nevertheless they decided it was necessary to re-record the GPWS callouts for the 777. I do find that necessary as well, because the ones on the NGX were not exactly 'crystal clear' so to speak. So that's what they did, they went and setup a mic and recorded them. Apparently though, their simulator/airplane they got to record from, only featured a part of the altitude callouts. Now they used everything they recorded for the 777, and used the rest of the callouts from the NGX. Now you have a combo of bad and good sound quality between all kinds of callouts. In my opinion, that doesn't sound very nice at all. Luckily, the ones they recorded sound just right, now I wish they all did.

If you say so... Im not sure PMDG would simply copy sound from the NGX... they are perfectionists in fact they went BEYOND this time with the sound immersion by recording several sounds per switch so no button sounds exactly the same and the cockpit feels more alive... so I doubt they copied it. Most of us wont really understand till we buy it ourselves.... and youtube videos sometimes screw up audio with compression and editing so they are not fully reliable

With that having been said, Have you ever been in the T7 cockpit during callouts? How would you know how they really sound?

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Have you ever been in the T7 cockpit during callouts? How would you know how they really sound?

Don't you know he is the Chief Captain for Cathay American Airways?

@Arjen Vandervelde

Thank you for your comment.

Some beta testers here believe they are the creme de la creme of all flightsimmers and others have no idea what they are talking about. Only beta testers are the ones who find bugs or abnormities just becaus they are the first who can test that addon. That`s childish, like they are jealous about opinions of non beta testers.

As Arjen Vandervelde wrote, it is a constructive feedback.

Really?

You don't even have the aircraft yet and you're going to criticize it?

[Edited out the rest in an attempt to just keep it to myself for once...]

:LMAO: !   Kyle, this 777 is really making you go soft, no question about that!

Kind regards

Captains - some points of interest about this discussion.

We are still in Beta - the sounds are still not finalised yet ......

Selecting which GPWS sounds you want in your aircraft via the FMC is a PMDG feature - it is NOT available on a real 777.  When you purchase a 777 you pay for the GPWS options you require and only those are installed at the Boeing factory. So any given 777 only has a limited amount of GPWS sounds installed on that aircraft with no option to change them.   If you bought "Approaching minimums" then you wont have "Approaching decision height" installed on the same aircraft.  

So we were only able to record a certain amount of GPWS sounds from the aircraft we had access to - and of course PMDG didn't let me do a round the world trip visiting every 777 airline that had different GPWS options so I can record them for the sim ........ as Robert mentioned, he revoked my PMDG company credit card just in case.   :Whistle:

So ... I am trying to make the best of a situation here .... and it is still in progress  ......  :smile:  

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guys,

I have read all posts and find that now both sides have made their point. And also that this thread has gone on enough for the item to be noticed by all BETA testers and PMDG. I am sure they will verify if the issue is satisfactory or not.

It has been a long post where many times emotions eventually destroy the post. But not here. 

I fear that after this point feelings, personal attacks and counter attacks will start to prevail. And I would hate to see that.

Let's all take 3 seconds to realize that the idea of this post is to inform and make e concern available to the team.

A big thanks to those nit pickers who help PMDG out, a big thanks to the BETA testers who in reality are also nit pickers, and a BIG thanks to PMDG. The biggest nit pickers of all.

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

That`s childish, like they are jealous about opinions of non beta testers.

Nah.  Jealous isn't the term.  More like highly skeptical of claims referring to a "trained ear."  That's too subjective.

Kyle Rodgers

Enough of this guys! 

realistic or not, recorded from real world aircraft or not, sound quality isnt that good! really??? well your headphones may sound dif than mine too! a speaker in the real 777 may ruin the sound too ! even if its not realistic, i will turn GPWS off and fly this state of the art FLIGHT SIMULATION SOFTWARE!

I guess the next thread is gonna be; what type of tires did you use? its unrealistic to use michlan tires, use PIRELLI, uh pirelli doesnt make aircraft tires! CMON!  

Moe ELkarout

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I guess the next thread is gonna be; what type of tires did you use? its unrealistic to use michlan tires, use PIRELLI, uh pirelli doesnt make aircraft tires! CMON!  

You wouldn't want to use Pirelli's the way they are behaving on a F1 car these days...lol.

We would need to call the virtual fire truck out to spray our tires with fire retardant way too often for my liking :Cry: .

I think most of you missed the point of the original post.

It's not that sounds are good or bad, rather that they're of noticable difference in quality. When sounds are different that way, (un)trained ears can hear it and for a product in development, that's a valid concern to raise. It's not nitpicking, but rather an observation. That's what testing means - direct or an observation, it doesn't matter really.

PMDG is aware of it, message has been communicated, moving on.

Btw. I thought that me being a Cisco and Apple ###### is inflammatory. Little did I know about the flightsim world :-)

You wouldn't want to use Pirelli's the way they are behaving on a F1 car these days...lol.

We would need to call the virtual fire truck out to spray our tires with fire retardant way too often for my liking :Cry: .

We'd have all sorts of fires going on lol