Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

The truth about FTX Global vs GEX World

Thank you for taking the time, again nice shots.

Turns out if I have UTX USA enabled in any way, FTXG Vector Road lights are dead. Hmmm... Well see

Yeah, thats seems to conflict with what others including myself have seen, I'm using FTXG with UTX and can switch between the two no problem.

Thanks for posting the comparison shots cvearl.  I think both the UTX and vector lights look good, but can't really say one looks better than the other. If you do a google search on city lights from an airplane I would say the UTX version looks more like the images you see. I don't have FTXG, but I've read that vector lights have less impact on FPS than the UTX lights. If the impact is significant, the vector lights would be fine for me.

One thing I can say, at 6 pages on this thread, I tihnk we are all starting to stretch the "truth" a little... :biggrin:

Ted 

The problem with that is that those are very different (warm+saturated) in comparison to what you Really see looking out yourself if you flew around at night it simple to tell the difference.

What the camera "sees" in Auto or in most manually set shots is an effort to grab enough light from the little thats out there, the white balance, the ISO and slower shutter speed will result in images that are very different from reality.

Thank you for taking the time, again nice shots.

Yeah, thats seems to conflict with what others including myself have seen, I'm using FTXG with UTX and can switch between the two no problem.

Not sure what you mean? Switching between UTX and FTX Global? You can't turn off Global. You can enable and disable vector lights and that's it. In UTX you can turn it's lights on and off or disable UTX entirely. So when you say "switching". What exactly are you clicking to switch?

So you have FTXG installed and you get THIS when you are at KPDX at night with UTX installed and enabled but both UTX Night Lighting options inactive/disabled in UTX setup tool? Because if you do, something is broken on mine. I have to disable UTX from in the tool to get the Vector Road Lights to work like this...

20je6.jpg

C.

I started this to try and show people that both products are great and the end result of this "competition" will be better for the community as a whole. I also tried as best I could to help people who do not own GEX or FTX to make an unbiased fairly decently informed decision. Did not mean to get this moving into a semi-hostile debate, emphasis on the "semi" part.

By the way, FTX Globals night lighting in my opinion is far better than UTX's, I hope the UTX team looks at this and improves their product as well!

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Did not mean to get this moving into a semi-hostile debate, emphasis on the "semi" part.

It's part of the law of the internet..... "How to start an internet arguement"....... post something and wait 5 minutes   :P

Jay

I started this to try and show people that both products are great and the end result of this "competition" will be better for the community as a whole. I also tried as best I could to help people who do not own GEX or FTX to make an unbiased fairly decently informed decision. Did not mean to get this moving into a semi-hostile debate, emphasis on the "semi" part.

By the way, FTX Globals night lighting in my opinion is far better than UTX's, I hope the UTX team looks at this and improves their product as well!

Your post was great.  no problems here.  

I'm looking forward to the DX10 fixer so I can properly test the new lights, but in my opinion the UTX lights actually look a bit better, they just perform worse.  I may keep UTX lights on after, we'll see.

Hello everyone, this is a highly debated and opinionated subject with lots of ###### on both sides. I personally prefer GEX World and I will get into why later,  for now I will make this short and to the point about the 2 competing products.

GEX World and FTX Global do the SAME EXACT THING (as of 9/5/2013), right now there are TEXTURES ONLY. Both use customized autogen with custom placement, and have a different set of textures at the SAME EXACT RESOLUTION. Here is where they differ....

GEX World:

With US 1.099 the textures are more brownish and thus I think a more realistic feel to them, makes the ground look like its not a perfect world, the autogen is custom placed and works very well across a wide range of areas, in Hawaii with Raimondo Taburet's Freeware Hawaii 10m Mesh there are a few stretching issues in some locations but nothing terrible.

GEX World is sold not as 1 package but broken into different coverage areas all around the price of $39.99 - $49.99 in USD, one thing to note is that to get the biggest benefit IMHO you need to purchase at least 2 regions especially if you want to fly in the US to get the 1.099 update, its a bit annoying, but I now have a vast portion of the world that I fly in covered in very solid detail.

GEX World is designed to work hand in hand with UTX (Ultimate Terrain) which is also sold separately for an additional $39.95 in USD per coverage area, with GEX and UTX working together and tweaked properly in the program settings you can get some extremely impressive results. UTX Provides GEX with custom landclass and as stated before both products work hand in hand and even have settings that intertwine them.

Future updates to GEX World are including 3D Bump-mapped textures to enhance the realism feeling without hitting framerates, overall localized textures and colors for coverage areas, & I have a strong feeling these updates were kicked in thanks to the competition from FTX Global.

FTX Global:

FTX Global is sold as 1 package covering the ENTIRE WORLD for about $100 USD, its a steep initial price tag but the coverage area is complete. Screenshots I have seen with people using FSGlobal or FSGenesis are impressive, there is some texture stretching again however this is not inherently the fault of either FTX Global or GEX World, they simply supply the textures at this time.

UTX from what I have read works decently with FTX Global however it was never designed to work hand in hand with it like GEX was, that being said some very impressive screenshots have been made using FTX Global and UTX, again UTX is a separate program available for purchase to enhance your realism feeling. However with FTX Global I would not suggest using UTX's night lighting as FTX Global has that built in and its realism and frame rates seem to be better.

One thing FTX Global inherently does well is blend in well with ORBX FTX areas like PNW, while FTX Global does NOT provide landclass at this time and officially the FTX Global team stated that Mesh will not be provided in the product I have seen from screenshots that FTX Global meshes really well with Full FTX coverage areas, its meshes better than GEX with UTX, this should come as no surprise however.

Future updates to FTX Global have been discussed as custom landclass built into FTX Global, general localization of textures based on continents, and different texture coloring for enhanced realism, also apparently an uninstaller program has now been included with V1.1 (something I think should come standard with all programs, just in case).

My Recommendations:

If you own and prefer to use Full ORBX areas I highly suggest you use FTX Global, this will provide you with the best blending possible, and for the hefty initial price tag you do get global coverage.

However if you do not own ORBX areas like I do not (not for lack of quality, just price as I like to buy other things in FSX more often) GEX + UTX is a great combo and I have been very satisfied with quality and performance. The biggest downside to the GEX + UTX combo is that you inherently end up paying 2-3 times more than you would for the coverage in FTX Global.

Closing remarks:

Both products are top notch and its great to see that FTX Global is really being competitive with GEX and UTX, this in theory should drive the GEX and UTX teams to improve their products other wise they risk losing their customers to their competitors. Both programs have their positives and negatives and there really is no definitive choice at this time, some people prefer the look of FTX Global and some GEX World, in the end it all comes down to personal preference.

From another perspective; if you (me) do not often if at all fly to USA, and rarely visit Europe, would you recommend that I get FTX Global (given I already have some ORBX local sceneries) over GEX?

My main areas of operations are China, SEAsia, Australia/Oceania with occasional visits to major European airports (EGLL, LFPG, EHAM etc.).

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Your post was great.  no problems here.  

I'm looking forward to the DX10 fixer so I can properly test the new lights, but in my opinion the UTX lights actually look a bit better, they just perform worse.  I may keep UTX lights on after, we'll see.

I can promise you this... The lights are fixed in the new fixer. Oh and the cockpit shadows? Like a new game engine! Steve is a genius! The dood has had Phil Taylor himself comment on his achievements on Steve's own blog! Get your wallet ready. :)

But as a guy that uses both DX10 and 9 I can tell you. Manage expectations. DX10 brings nicer water. Higher tolerance for difficult scenery loads (in the way of smoother feeling fps), sharper and more convincing cockpit shadows and some better looking weather under some conditions (subjective). It does not change the colors or lighting or anything like ENB. Just feels more stable. Cloud performance is a bit better as well. 

From another perspective; if you (me) do not often if at all fly to USA, and rarely visit Europe, would you recommend that I get FTX Global (given I already have some ORBX local sceneries) over GEX?

My main areas of operations are China, SEAsia, Australia/Oceania with occasional visits to major European airports (EGLL, LFPG, EHAM etc.).

As clear as this can be made....

FTXG greatly improves the textures of FSX worldwide regardless of country. FTXG makes the planet have roughly the same coloration and tone as an ORBX region. But FTXG on it's own does not correct mistakes in the map like Farm where Forest should be. That is Landclass. They are doing worldwide landclass products over time.

If airports are bland and sterile now. They will still be. ORBX is slowly releasing free updated airport packages region by region.

Want a screen shot over a certain airport? Let me know.

Charles.

gizmosellsbunnys, you ain't gonna make to many friends with that post... :He He:

Not too worried lol. Better to be honest let users know be careful with thier products. Orbx wants small airports strips as they are oil wells of profit.

What did I tell you...

What did I tell you...

Knew the fanatical orbx users viewpoints would not change; :lol: and knew they would not like my comment.  We just have difference in opinion. Its the people on the sideline thinking of buying ftx need to be informed before they install the product.  "Its no different than getting a knee replacement letting people know the benefits and drawbacks."  At least installer and uninstaller been setup now.  

Its the people on the sideline thinking of buying ftx need to be informed before they install the product

Indeed,  that's why distortions of the truth from people who don't even own the product need to be tempered with actual knowledge of people who DO own the product.  If someone prefers GEX that's cool with me.  If someone who has a difference of OPINION,  that's also cool with me.  If someone thinks they can distort the FACTS to further their own agendas, you can count on me to be here to fight it.

speaking of which, there are two questions you haven't answered yet.

What addons, that have been made in accordance with the SDK don't work with FTXG?  specifics please.

How exactly do ORBX "control the scenery market" with this product?

Indeed,  that's why distortions of the truth from people who don't even own the product need to be tempered with actual knowledge of people who DO own the product.  If someone prefers GEX that's cool with me.  If someone who has a difference of OPINION,  that's also cool with me.  If someone thinks they can distort the FACTS to further their own agendas, you can count on me to be here to fight it.

What addons, that have been made in accordance with the SDK don't work with FTXG?  specifics please.

Well if even one surfaces, I will still shrug. LOL

I have more scenery than I care to mention. Most of which was crap and uninstalled or not included in recent installs. I am sure there is going to be one out there somewhere.

FTXG and GEX are both fine and dandy. But neither one fixes Landclass. I am looking forward to OpenLC and I hope it's everything its been promised to be.

If GEX and UTX release updated content and the screenshots and user reports blow me away? I would buy them too! It's only money. ;)

Stupid hobby. LOL

If anyone wants to be constructive and "compare" areas, GEX versus FTXG, let me know. Save a flight over  the scenery so I can load the exact same spot. But I will not compare if I dont have all the same add on's. I only have UTX USA and Canada. I have no Landclass software so a comparison where you have Landclass layered in will not work. Just simply... FTXG+UTX versus GEX+UTX. I know I would like to compare and not out of spite of anyone. Just because it's easy to do and I want the best product available outside of ORBX regions. There is no better scenery than ORBX regions by the way. ;)

Also if the screenshot is over Alaska, BC, Alberta, Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Montana, I will include the ORBX Regional Shot from the very same spot.

Let me know. We could have another thread....

Call it. FTXG versus GEX versus ORBX. :) 

Charles.

I can't speak to FTXG, because I don't own it, but I have several GEX regions, along with UTX, and am generally pleased; from the screenshots I've seen, FTXG looks comparable, maybe slightly better, than the GEX regions I own. That said, the UTX night lighting KILLS my frame rates, especially in a complex aircraft (NGX) landing in a large metropolitan area, maybe 8-10 FPS. If, as has been stated, FTXG's night lighting does not impact frame rates, that's a significant factor worth considering, imo. For me, having already invested a fair amount in GEX, it's not enough of a factor for me to switch, and I hope that the competition inspires GEX/UTX to come up with a night lighting alternative that has less performance impact. However, if I did not already own GEX regions, I would be inclined to purchase FTXG, given its price, aesthetics, and performance, even accepting (for the sake of argument) that FTX "bends" the rules, wants to rule the scenery world, and has developed a reputation of, on occasion, treating dissatisfied customers somewhat dismissively and arrogantly.

Those last caveats were not meant to spark a debate with the ORBXphiles or GEXphiles regarding the validity of these criticisms; it's the lawyer in me - regardless of whether the criticisms are true, accepting them as true, I would still consider purchasing FTXG global for the reasons I stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Southern California, Nevada and Arizona look perfect to me after 1.10 patch,

Thanks, ORBX.

Dirk.

Yeah...they seem fine to me, too.  The 1.10 patch did the trick....

These below are the concerns users have come across with ftx does the uninstaller address these concerns to make removal clean.  

- AutogenDescriptions.spb

- default.xml

(- Extrusions.spb) – not sure if FTXG

- lclookup.bgl

(- Materials.spb) – not sure if FTXG

- RoofDescriptions.spb

- terrain.cfg

Be nice to have two computers with similar hardware and software settings to see pre and post install and removal of gex and ftx to see which files are affected and if the effects are minor or need manual removal or install or remove artifact errors. 

Orbx haphazard way of doing things, adding an installer and uninstaller one month after release kind of leaves some questions. Did not buy ftx because wanted to see what problems under the surface would entail as they been accused in the past by minority of users of using underhanded tactics.  Seen posts from 2008 and 2011 about Orbx using a switcher system to make it difficult to use certain add ons in the custom region. 

Still, if the ftx uninstaller removes ftx and restores it to pre-fsx system settings, or at least provide a warning that reinstall of fsx software is required to restore pre-ftx settings then debate can cease at this point as the user got the information to make a informed decision.  Never install a ftx product as my flying style moved over to photoreal now and only keep gex for Mexico and Canada.  Orbx fix their software with small airfields and made their ga fields usable for photoreal scenery owners,  I would buy an airport from them, but do not want the regions just inside the airport fence.  If the user has all the facts by each side, and no point on either side argue the issue further as both sides are laid out.   Sometimes I do come across loonie, but nothing personal again you or anyone here just want the information laid out. 

just want the information laid out. 

I assume there is a reason why you have not asked the Orbx dev's for the information you are seaking... fear they might answer your question or the fact you will lose the abilty to make posts complaining about the way they do things. I do own GEX EU btw had it for years and i have progressed to Global.

I try to buy eye candy for my sim to make it look better in all the regions i fly in and companys like PMDG, Aerosoft, 29 Palms, Orbx etc. have been making that a lot better for me flying in europe and i have no regrets buying what they make as they are working together like a dream :)

If you have a question for them just ask it if you really care that much, if you dont want to ask them then shut up.

-Paul-