Sign in to follow this  
Manny

I Loathe FSDT's COUATL!

Finally  someone  has made  sense to all this,  if you got issues why don't  you post in the fsdt forum iam sure  the dev will answer your  questions.

Wonder why there isn't  a flood of  complaints  in the fsdt forum about the addon being  unstable? if  the addon was  to be unstable iam sure  there would  be  a fix  to it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I own FSDT LAX and ORD and I haven't had any issues with COUATL to date.

Lots of discussion going on here, and lots of people with issues, yet no one is posting this information and asking questions in the one place it matters...

Lots of discussion going on here, and lots of people with issues, yet no one is posting this information and asking questions in the one place it matters...
you said it all!

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

yet no one is posting this information and asking questions in the one place it matters...

I give up, some of you aren't even reading this thread - I guess it got too long with so many people having problems.  I have posted on FSDT, read the thread again.  It ended the very same way this thread is going to end, unresolved.

I'm not talking CTD, not talking OOM, real error messages generated by the Add-On manager and failures of updates that are wiping out license keys and force complete re-installs.

I repeat:

But lets just say it is all our faults, we've somehow done something that is causing the Add-On manager to fail, a quality product would be coded to deal with failures, they would:

1.  Provide some type of detailed logging that can be provided to the developer

2.  Provide meaningful errors to users

3.  Stop when something fails rather than continue

4.  Not wipe out valid license keys when something fails 

If Umberto really wants to get involved, then no one is stopping him from posting here ... are they?

Anyway, I have no more time for this jibber jabber, but I thank Airbu99 and Mir for demonstrating the exact problem many of us have faced with the developer of this Add-On manager product.  You have solidified that my future purchases and updates are NOT going to happen until I see some real positive change in support and the Add-On manager (like it not being launched from within FSX, and some professional processing of failure conditions so they can be reported and acted on) -- my choice, and good luck.

I know the fix. Whenever I get a COAUTL related CTD on approach, I have to download the latest manager and install it and this problem goes away ....for a while.. Until at a later time  I am on approach after a 2-4 hr flight I am unceremoniously  told via a CTD that I have to download the latest and the greatest manager software and install.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I give up, some of you aren't even reading this thread - I guess it got too long with so many people having problems. I have posted on FSDT, read the thread again. It ended the very same way this thread is going to end, unresolved.

I'm not talking CTD, not talking OOM, real error messages generated by the Add-On manager and failures of updates that are wiping out license keys and force complete re-installs.

I repeat:

Rob

I'm with you here. Just don't bother wasting your time any more. It is quite clearly evident from your observations that this has not been followed from the start. Exasperation is a word that comes easily to mind.

Have you heard of a program called NotePad?

I have. Can I have a balloon please and a piece of cake?

I know the fix. Whenever I get a CTD on approach, I have to download the latest manager and install it and this problem goes away ....for a while.. Until at a later time  I am on approach after a 2-4 hr flight I am unceremoniously  told via a CTD that I have to download the latest and the greatest manager software and install.

That just about sums it all up, Manny. Latest example of this crazy-behaving software. Tried to customise the parking and all of a sudden the 777 parked on a cargo stand went slewing away into the countryside. Back to square one, after a complete FSX re-start and where that Couatl Crap was available previously before it went off in a crazy slew from the Add-ons drop-down menu, now it just disappeared. What a fab piece of software, eh!

...because many people have alluded that they have done so repeatedly in the past, only to receive a 'standard letter' reply from the Couatl developers. Eg "There are no problems with it; it must be your system".

When you come across an unhelpful or none-useful forum or customer service point, more than once, you are very likely to come to a quick conclusion that it's not worth bothering with in future.

.because many people have alluded that they have done so repeatedly in the past, only to receive a 'standard letter' reply from the Couatl developers. Eg "There are no problems with it; it must be your system".

When you come across an unhelpful or none-useful forum or customer service point, more than once, you are very likely to come to a quick conclusion that it's not worth bothering with in future.

+++1 :Applause: :Applause: :Applause:

I own FSDT LAX and ORD and I haven't had any issues with COUATL to date.

I think you underestimate the power of free (and bad) press.

Here's the thing... most of the posters here have been able to (at least temporarily) work through the problems either by visiting the FSDT support forum or by figuring it out themselves. That is not the point of this thread... the heart of the matter is that these problems should not exist at all. If the add-on manager or COUATL were not integrated into FSX and Simconnect, this thread would never have been created... FSX would never be crashing because of DRM software. Maybe COUATL does other things too... I don't know; but if that's the case, the functions beneficial to the user need to be separated from the functions beneficial to the developer.

Another poster says to have patience. Nope, I've been using flight simulators for over 25 years now. I've spent more sleepless nights than I care to remember working through problems and incompatibilities that could otherwise have been avoided. Most of the folks here know what they're doing around a computer... if there's a problem, they'll post in the support forums and give the developer some time to fix it; but if the problem lingers they're most likely going to just stop using the product and think twice about buying from that developer again. I'm about to do that with Opus... it's overall a great product but I continually get wind shifts and improper ATC behavior. I've tried to work through it with the very responsive developer; but the problem hasn't gone away - so I will quietly turn off the weather engine and try something else (think I'll keep it for the cameras though).

In the case of FSDT, the source of the problem is completely avoidable. Sure, the developer may not like it; but the customer is always right... not the developer. Personally, I really want to purchase GSX; but will not until the offending software is gone (notice I didn't say fixed). Maybe that's just one lost sale for FSDT; but every developer needs to remember that the majority tends to be silent and impatient.

/\ /\ /\   Excellent points.

The majority are silent and impatient indeed.  

And as MadDog said, the issue really is not one of how many crashes you've had, due to Couatl.  It's the fact that having an authentication system that runs in FSX is a universally bad thing for the customer.  It generates the potential for problems that just would not exist, were the system not running unnecessarily in FSX.

It really isn't just about CTDs and crashes.  As I said, for me it's about pop-ups updates, and error messages that occur during a FSX session.          

The problem is, as I understand it, the GSX product as it presently is, could not exist without Couatl.   Couatl is it's heart and I would guess that it would potentially need a complete re-write in order to function without Couatl in place, in FSX.

I have posted on FSDT, read the thread again.  It ended the very same way this thread is going to end, unresolved.

No it wasn't. Umberto lives in the opposite side of the globe, so our day is really his night, and our night is his day. So just because it's been a few hours and he hasn't replied does not mean it's "unresolved".

And I read the ENTIRE thread. All you you ranting about the addon manager because you don't really understand how it works.

The license keys should never be wiped out, because FSDT stores them in the registry. So something else is modifying it, but sorry, it's not FSDT. 

So, a complete re-install of the scenery would do absolutely nothing in this case.

Care to post what the error says perhaps ?

If Umberto really wants to get involved, then no one is stopping him from posting here ... are they?

You want to know why he isn't? Because this has been explained so many times about the addon manager, and it seems he can't get through the brick walls that are most of the users here.

He is also probably at the FSDT forum he is actually helping people who are wise enough to seek help by him...

Anyway, I have no more time for this jibber jabber, but I thank Airbu99 and Mir for demonstrating the exact problem many of us have faced with the developer of this Add-On manager product.  You have solidified that my future purchases and updates are NOT going to happen until I see some real positive change in support and the Add-On manager (like it not being launched from within FSX, and some professional processing of failure conditions so they can be reported and acted on) -- my choice, and good luck.

This is entirely your decision. There is nothing to FIX from FSDT's side when it's something on your computer that is conflicting and causing the problem. All you need to do is find what is causing the conflicting issues.  I have never had one problem with the addon manager, it 

If you still don't get that I am at a loss, maybe it's better you do stay away from FSDT products..

That is not the point of this thread... the heart of the matter is that these problems should not exist at all. If the add-on manager or COUATL were not integrated into FSX and Simconnect, this thread would never have been created... FSX would never be crashing because of DRM software. Maybe COUATL does other things too... I don't know; but if that's the case, the functions beneficial to the user need to be separated from the functions beneficial to the developer.

Please do tell me, how you can create a flawless program that runs with the extremely finicky program that is FSX to be made compatible with EVERY piece of software that exists?

In the case of FSDT, the source of the problem is completely avoidable. Sure, the developer may not like it; but the customer is always right... not the developer. Personally, I really want to purchase GSX; but will not until the offending software is gone (notice I didn't say fixed). Maybe that's just one lost sale for FSDT; but every developer needs to remember that the majority tends to be silent and impatient.

If you say the customer is always right than we would never have any solution to any problem because we would be faced with every customer saying they are right. 

Don't you maybe think the developer knows a little because he is one who created it ?

And I read the ENTIRE thread. All you you ranting about the addon manager because you don't really understand how it works.

The only person I see ranting in this thread, and chucking the CAPS around, is you.   If Robains can communicate calmly and decently, why do you always have to respond to his points by looking like you've typed in a furious rage?

Take it easy, you'll live longer. :wink: