Sign in to follow this  
Manny

I Loathe FSDT's COUATL!

Well said, Dave, and I really think that those knives need to be put away before this slowly deteriorating tone gets the thread locked.

All the Best!

peej

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Airbu099, on 11 Sept 2013 - 1:36 PM, said:

Please do tell me, how you can create a flawless program that runs with the extremely finicky program that is FSX to be made compatible with EVERY piece of software that exists?

Run it outside of FSX

Airbu099, on 11 Sept 2013 - 1:36 PM, said:

If you say the customer is always right than we would never have any solution to any problem because we would be faced with every customer saying they are right.

Things that make you go "Hmmm"

I don't know why I'm continuing with this thread, I really don't have the time and you just keep repeating the same stuff over and over again just like in the FSDT forums ...

The license keys should never be wiped out, because FSDT stores them in the registry.

And yet it happens and not just with me, with many others.  And the keys may not actually be wiped out, they just may not be accessible under a specific security context.  And what causes this to happen, I get prompted in FSX to update ... select option #1 (to update) from within FSX.  After I hit the 1 key, the Add-On manager is in control running under the security context of FSX since it's launched from within FSX.  At what point am I now responsible for what the Add-On manager does?  Where is my fault in this?

Are you aware that parts of registry are NOT available under certain security contexts?  I can't stress how much Umberto needs to look at this and get a better understanding of why launching from within FSX is NOT a good idea for what he is trying to accomplish.   The registry entries for the license keys are probably there fully intact, but the Add-On manager doesn't have sufficient access rights to read them because it's security context is defined by the application it was shelled from (aka FSX) ... end result is the airport doesn't show in FSX.  If coault was running outside of FSX (meaning not launched by FSX) then it might (and probably will) run under a different security context.

Are you aware that an application can create firewall exception entries?  If the UAC is off, this can be done unprompted, if the UAC is on, the end user might get a prompt, if one has antivirus or other firewall software it will detect the request for the exception or the port usage and prompt the user.  How this process will be handled will be different for WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8.  Perhaps Umberto doesn't know about this or doesn't care?  But again, running under the security context of FSX making the OS calls to create firewall exceptions may not be an option because of the security context.

Are you aware that Windows OS updates are always plugging security holes, some of these are registry security holes.  So it's our fault because we keep our OS updated?

But again, you keep ignoring this, so I'm just going to keep repeating it:

But lets just say it is all our faults, we've somehow done something that is causing the Add-On manager to fail, a quality product would be coded to deal with failures, they would:

1. Provide some type of detailed logging that can be provided to the developer

2. Provide meaningful errors to users

3. Stop when something fails rather than continue

4. Not wipe out valid license keys when something fails

If Umberto is interested in resolution, then the above will be implemented.  If not, then we just simply go our separate ways and these same issues will keep coming back again and again and again.

I was here to try to help the OP, you are here to simply say "Add-On manager is perfect" ... that doesn't help the OP or anyone else having a problem with the Add-On manager.  Posts on FSDT forums gets the exact same result ... the "Add-On Manager is perfect".

As a software engineer, I would never ever claim any of my products are perfect, that's just not humanly possible, all software has bugs/issues including FSX, even Phil Taylor would admit to that.  A constructive way to move forward is to take user feedback/problems, try to duplicate and identify, if one can't duplicate then add code to trap exceptions and add code to trace execution activity/results so that when the application is in the "user environment" tracing/logging can be activated so that execution path/results can be monitored giving the developer an opportunity to see the problem. 

Rob

I am a long member at the FSDT forum, and I actually READ and follow what he says, and I found this topic and I felt the need to register and post.

[/url]

I dont see any member on the FSDT forum called Airbu099. You say your there a long time, what is your user name there?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am glad to see this topic being discussed. I too have had many issues with my FSDT products, which all were exacerbated when i installed GSX. I too feel that the addons are top notch, but these recurring issues have been quite bothersome. One thing I have never been able to understand is why almost every other time I try to use GSX, nothing happens when I hit Ctrl +12. Likewise, there have been several instances where upon landing at an FSDT aiport at the end of the flight, there were no terminals, just jetways. Obviously several other folks have had these same issues, and it is not all in our heads. Incidentally, I remember vividly when Tom made his post way back when, and seeing the response he received initially made me think twice about posting anything that could be construed as negative agains FSDT. Hopefully we will all finally be heard.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I dont see any member on the FSDT forum called Airbu099. You say your there a long time, what is your user name there?

Indeed. My thoughts exactly.  And the very reason this thread is HERE, and NOT on the FSDT forum, is because it would never get this far without being deleted.  If an open discussion could be held there, things might get done.

Turns out he is one of the ones that is banned and keeps trying different logins. Another one for Avsim's wall of shame.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Anyway, I have no more time for this jibber jabber, but I thank Airbu99 and Mir for demonstrating the exact problem many of us have faced with the developer of this Add-On manager product.

Hello Rob!

I don't know if you skimmed my post, or you're just misreading, but think you completely missed the point of my post. 

I'm acknowledging that people are having difficulty with AM and Couatl. There is a lot of room for improvement! 

My point was, it's come a long way, as it wasn't as user friendly before. There's still much more to improve in order to make it seamless. 

By the way, Flightbeam does not make the Addon Manager or Couatl, I simply licensed to use it. For anyone who's curious, I probably only get ONE support email a week with someone who's having trouble with this system. Almost 100% of support issues are resolved successfully. But yes, I agree, it's still not seamless and things do happen once in a while. 

FSDT/Umberto is extremely talented when it comes to coding and software. They do listen. So I really suggest making posting also at FSDT, the more people make suggestions, the easier the entire system can become. 

Again? how do you know?

Hi Airbus 099 ? Think we are stupid mate. Mary ...username LOL

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Turns out he is one of the ones that is banned and keeps trying different logins. Another one for Avsim's wall of shame.

Another one for the wall of shame. Probably that guy who was Marcielli and Johnny767 and now Maryjankin.

You should see Mary's other post inthe PMDG forum, lol.

I suspect anyone who has just joined now. And that is not good for the genuine ones. But it is getting easier to smell a rat now.

I suspect anyone who has just joined now. And that is not good for the genuine ones. But it is getting easier to smell a rat now.

Exactly. Anytime I see someone pop up from out of the blue and start out with lengthy posts like Airbu099 did it makes me a little suspicious of them. Too bad that some people get so much fun from starting trouble.

He must have edited his post because he said he was one of those launching DDOS attacks but it gone now.

Due to some requests, I have decided to reopen this topic.  Please keep it civil. 

Jim Young

AVSIM Forums Moderator

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10