Sign in to follow this  
FlyVFR

Can PMDG work with HiFi to bring us a working weather radar?

So, you all do realize that as part of the bug tracking, troubleshooting, and (hopefully) eliminating process, several people are tasked, right?

As in, Person A is tasked with items 1, 2, and 3.  Person B is tasked with 4, 5 and 6.  While Person C is tasked with trying to reproduce 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 to pass to Persons A and B to find in the code and fix.  What about Persons D and E?  If they don't have tasking on an upcoming project, why not tinker with the concept of weather radar while issues are still unresolved?

If you're still chasing bugs, why not?  It's not delaying anything.  I seriously wonder if anyone here truly has a clue as to what the concept of process/project management truly is.  Based on how people are posting, I highly doubt many do.

I'm going to laugh heartily when people have whinged so long about wanting weather radar, and then surprise!  There it is!!!

...but not before people whinge further about how it took too long, or "delayed" the SP.  :rolleyes:

People always complain PMDG doesn't share enough.  I've maintained for quite some time now that it's simply a case of not being able to win.  They share - people complain.  They don't share - people complain.  If both draw complaints, why not just not share and spare the effort?

Think they announced this on the 20 nov2013 , so don't know where you got the idea " now" from

Creating drama where drama doesn't exist is quite the talent.  If I had any connections with Hollywood scouts, I'd send them in this direction.  Since the formula for TV lately is all about drama, I'm sure they'd find these particular talents more than suitable...

Kyle Rodgers

Creating drama where drama doesn't exist is quite the talent.  If I had any connections with Hollywood scouts, I'd send them in this direction.  Since the formula for TV lately is all about drama, I'm sure they'd find these particular talents more than suitable...

Really..? I think the current era belongs to comedy!  :lol:

Aamir Thacker

Hi. Thank you for your kind advice once again.

Now that PMDG has announced officially that the B777-300ER will be released together with the patch to solve the B777X bugs from the initial release almost half a year ago.(no wonder no box set from Aerosoft yet), it will be still a long way away from release. They can always now say due to some problems with the B777-300ER development so release is halted or vice versa the patch is delaying the B777-300ER release. Up to now still no photos on the taxi cameras in operation. There are only a few external PMDG B777-300ER pictures.

As for the weather radar, PMDG has always maintained that they will not include this in as it is impossible to replicate this accurately in Flightsim. As if it is possible to accurately replicate a B777 performance 100% in flight sim either! But guess we have to respect their choices as they are the developers and we are not.

After all it is our own choice whether or not to buy the PMDG products also so no one is forcing us to do so if we find it not accurate without a weather radar.

Regards,
Darren

So, you all do realize that as part of the bug tracking, troubleshooting, and (hopefully) eliminating process, several people are tasked, right?

As in, Person A is tasked with items 1, 2, and 3.  Person B is tasked with 4, 5 and 6.  While Person C is tasked with trying to reproduce 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 to pass to Persons A and B to find in the code and fix.  What about Persons D and E?  If they don't have tasking on an upcoming project, why not tinker with the concept of weather radar while issues are still unresolved?

If you're still chasing bugs, why not?  It's not delaying anything.  I seriously wonder if anyone here truly has a clue as to what the concept of process/project management truly is.  Based on how people are posting, I highly doubt many do.

I'm going to laugh heartily when people have whinged so long about wanting weather radar, and then surprise!  There it is!!!

...but not before people whinge further about how it took too long, or "delayed" the SP.  :rolleyes:

People always complain PMDG doesn't share enough.  I've maintained for quite some time now that it's simply a case of not being able to win.  They share - people complain.  They don't share - people complain.  If both draw complaints, why not just not share and spare the effort?

Please NO! PMDG already has difficulties in comming out with the B777X patch and now you want them to integrate a weather radar in? It is comming up to almost half a year since the initial release of the B777X and we are still waiting for the patch. And now they announce it will be released together with the B777-300ER. You want the product to be released another 5 years from now?

Nobody insisted that it has to be released with the next SP. Just eventually, sometime down the road would be nice.

Already I believed that it is a well estabilished fact that PMDG will not do a working weather radar(although for the button is actually clickable in the VC although it does nothing)

Maybe they can give us a choice to activate it or not for realism. Since it is not accurate but there are some who do not really care for the realism of the weather radar. Just some colours on the ND will do nicely. I for one fly with the TERR turned on in the ND all the time otherwise it just looks strange with only the flight information displayed against a totally black background for a 16 hour flight. Where in the world is the weather that good in the world?

Nobody insisted that it has to be released with the next SP. Just eventually, sometime down the road would be nice.

Shoot me down guys, but I think PMDG could be adding a weather radar in. Aerosoft claim to have cracked the weather radar code in FSX, they say other developers are only a few weeks behind them on this, and RR mentioned a HUGE update on the way for the 777.

Up to now still no photos on the taxi cameras in operation.

They already stated that they have had trouble finding a stable solution, and I don't recall them promising to include it, so what's your point?

There are only a few external PMDG B777-300ER pictures.

Do you even know the difference between the -200LR and the -300ER?  Showing internal pictures really isn't going to show people anything they haven't seen already...

As for the weather radar, PMDG has always maintained that they will not include this in as it is impossible to replicate this accurately in Flightsim. As if it is possible to accurately replicate a B777 performance 100% in flight sim either!

It was never said that they would never model weather radar unless it was 100% accurate.  The issue is that weather radar couldn't be modeled realistically.  It wouldn't need to be perfect, but it would at least need to be able to find precip, which hasn't been possible - AT ALL - until recently.

Shoot me down guys, but I think PMDG could be adding a weather radar in.

Hmm...makes you wonder, doesn't it???

Kyle Rodgers

Actually, FSX's simconnect can determine the exact places where rain or snow falls, and where clouds are, without hacks, IF10's been doing this since it came out as part of the thermals engine. So to produce a radar shows where the clouds are and where the rain falls is quite do-able.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

So to produce a radar shows where the clouds are and where the rain falls is quite do-able.

...but that's not what radar does...

Radar finds precip.  Not clouds.

Kyle Rodgers

... where rain or snow falls...

Read again...

...there's only a handful of precip. quantities in FSX, and as far as I know it all falls to ground. For testing, I have a graphic output of surface types, precips, temperatures, and terrain altitudes, which looks a bit like a crap radar when viewing the precips around the plane.

The reason I mentioned clouds because I saw various comments around the site suggesting they could not be located as well as rain or snow. But they can, and by mistake I said "find clouds and rain" but I felt it's obvious what I mean, and it's obvious there's a lot of stuff here suggesting rain can't be determined but it can, and clouds.

Thank you for your kind enquiries. I was just wondering that there are only WORDS but no pictures. Like you mentioned that they said that they cannot find a stable solution for the taxi cameras so this means no further work done on it? If there is something done on it, why so shy to put up the pictures?

As for the technical differences between the B777-200LR and B777-300ER I would need to check with my dad(he is an examiner on the B777 aircraft type). I am just an arm chair pilot who fly flighsim occassionally for fun. In real life I am working in the construction industry.(totally different from what you, my dad or PMDG does) The weather radar on Wilcopub, Captain Sim are accurate? I am sure that those who ask for a weather radar are not asking for BOEING full motion simulator standards but just something as "eye candy" only. I cant remember anyone asking for a 100% accurate weather radar in FlightSim either.

They already stated that they have had trouble finding a stable solution, and I don't recall them promising to include it, so what's your point?

Do you even know the difference between the -200LR and the -300ER?  Showing internal pictures really isn't going to show people anything they haven't seen already...

It was never said that they would never model weather radar unless it was 100% accurate.  The issue is that weather radar couldn't be modeled realistically.  It wouldn't need to be perfect, but it would at least need to be able to find precip, which hasn't been possible - AT ALL - until recently.

Hmm...makes you wonder, doesn't it???

Like you mentioned that they said that they cannot find a stable solution for the taxi cameras so this means no further work done on it? If there is something done on it, why so shy to put up the pictures?

No.  It means they haven't found something that can work as a stable solution to be incorporated at the moment.  Why would that mean they were not going to continue working on it?

I still don't understand why everything in the sim community has to be polar.

I'm working on a video of a whole bunch of flying I've done over the years.  It's not to a point where I want to show it to anyone, so nobody gets to see it.  At the same time, just because I don't want to show it to anyone at the moment doesn't mean I'm not working on it.

As for the technical differences between the B777-200LR and B777-300ER I would need to check with my dad(he is an examiner on the B777 aircraft type).

My point was simply to address your comment that they hadn't shown any pictures of the flight deck.  There's no real difference.  The only real visual difference between the -300ER and the -200LR is the size of the plane.  That's why the pictures only really show the external model.

The weather radar on Wilcopub, Captain Sim are accurate?

No.  Not at all.

I am sure that those who ask for a weather radar are not asking for BOEING full motion simulator standards but just something as "eye candy" only. I cant remember anyone asking for a 100% accurate weather radar in FlightSim either.

Full motion simulator radar isn't really that accurate, either, honestly.  Your earlier comment, though, was what I was answering to.  You said "PMDG has always maintained that they will not include this in as it is impossible to replicate this accurately in Flightsim. As if it is possible to accurately replicate a B777 performance 100% in flight sim either!"  You made an attempt at another black and white justification and I answered to it.  Your statement seemed to be an attempt to say "well, if the plane is not perfect then it's imperfect, and weather radar is imperfect, too, so it's just as justifiable as an imperfect plane." Except that your point ignores the concept of varying degrees of accuracy  Have a gander at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma.

Eye candy has no point.  I know a lot of simmers think it's "cool," but it honestly does me no good to hit a button for pretty colors to pop up that don't mean anything.  At that point, it's simply a waste of a developer's time.

Kyle Rodgers