Sign in to follow this  
michelair

ORBX - KBZN... Going to Faint...

Not very often do I get to express my thoughts about how lucky I was to be raised in the KBZN area and proud to call it home, but wow, when I visited ORBX's website today, I noticed they announced that they are adding KBZN to their inventory of Airports. Well, I just about fell off my chair.. Haven't been that excited about a announcement of new Airport scenery in a long time.

I have traveled to many beautiful places throughout the world but I have to admit I always enjoy flying over Yellowstone Park, the Gallatin Mountain Range over Lone Mountain (Big Sky) and into Gallatin Field that has the back drop of the Bridger Mountain range. As a young man, I never knew how Lucky I was to be raised in this part of the world. With Orbx creating KJAC, KWYS, and now KBZN, wow what can I say... Nice to know that FS developers that are thousands of miles away recognize the beauty of the area I call home...

Don't get me wrong the Pacific North West all the to Alaska is breath taking.... So if you get a chance go check KBZN out .. And NO I am not affiliated with ORBX in anyway.... :-)

Picture is a photo of Airforce One on the Tarmac at KBZN...  Since KBZN is a small Airport and the Secret Service must have been in a good mood we got to see Airforce One up and close... Yes the President was in Bozeman but people that know me knew I wanted to see the PLANE!!!!!!!!!

You're a lucky man, when I wanted my hometown airport done I had to do it myself! :smile:

Born and raised in MT (Opheim....waaayyy up north..ha) myself, I'm excited about the KBZN that Orbx is creating.  Have been to Bozeman many times (uncle and aunt live there), and to the airport a couple of times.  Traveled all that country a few times also.  The Bozeman area is a great place to visit, or live.

I will purchase it as soon as it's available.  Orbx developers have put a lot of pics of the scenery on their website too.

And, Bonners Ferry scenery....Fantastic. 

The last I knew, as I searched for it, one of the Cessna 172s (N733BT) I took my PPL training in is now [stationed] in Bonners Ferry.  My profile picture is of me in it.  I wonder if it's still there.   

Rod

Rod Beck

Ah, Opheim home of the Vikings! haven't heard that name in along time, My brother Greg got his first teaching job and football coach in Opheim back in the 80's. Glad to hear from another simmer in Montana. Hopefully ORBX will look at GLACIER International (KPGI) just outside of Kalispell as well, that area has some great scenery. Hard to beat a VFR flight from KPGI to CYBA,

that is a very nice photo of you with the mighty 747 as a backdrop.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

John,

I didn't know your brother as I graduated in '73, then moved away in '76.  Same here, to know another simmer from Montana.

It would definitely be nice if ORBX would make more scenery of Montana...especially the western part.  I spent a lot of time in the Kalispell, Bigfork, Ferndale area.  My wife is from Bigfork, and a lot of relatives from Kalispell, Columbia Falls, and Whitefish area. 

I do have the Northwest region from Orbx, and it's great.  After installing FTX Global, I was hoping the Opheim area would've been better than the default, however, it's not.   Matter of a fact, it's nothing but forest now, and as you know there are NOT that many trees in the Opheim area. ha.

Keep 'Em Flyin'

Rod

Rod Beck

To eliminate the need for any guesswork, I am the person responsible for Orbx's recent Bonners Ferry release (with some help from Alex Goff). With that released and more or less behind me I've been mulling over what my next project might be, and 8S1 Polson, MT was actually one of the airports I was giving some consideration to. I think the lake would be a great opportunity for some photoreal water, and the bridge, golf course, and other surroundings would make for a really nice approach from either end. It appears there's some fairly decent imagery available, licensing it for a commercial airport project is something I haven't looked into yet. I did put a low resolution sample of the imagery down in the sim some months ago just to check it out and while it was hideous at the low resolution without any post processing or autogen, it does show some definite promise.

Airport photos are always the major stumbling block so I'm curious if either of you two gents might by chance frequent that airport and if so be in any position to get some ground photos for such an endeavor? Of course I'd personally see to it that the deed was at least somewhat compensated in the form of a free copy when the airport was finished!

(Hey it doesn't hurt to ask, right? :smile: )

Jim

Jim....I just noticed, on the Orbx Bonners Ferry thread you are the developer.  So I had to jump back to this thread and sure enough, you are the one with the love/hate relationship.  Now I understand.  Again, fantastic work.  I might have to drive up to Bonners Ferry and meet you, since I'm not to far away.  I would love to know how that scenery was created (You don't have to tell me).  I've been doing the best I can with ADE.....can't get the hang of sketchup..... would love to do some good scenery of my home town and airport S00..Opheim, MT.

I was just explaining this little story to my wife and she said I should get in the truck, along with one of my border collies, we have five, and head to Polson.  It's only about a 4 1/2 hour drive, I think.  I know it takes 3 hours to get to Missoula from my house, and should be about an hour and half from there.  If I do, I'll take as many photos as you want.  Now Jim, keep in mind, I'm NOT doing this for a free copy of the scenery, I'm doing this because I want to.  Since I'm retired, and not much happening, I might just do that for ya.  Shoot, I haven't been on that road for a few years, and, might do me good to get a way for a while.  Of course I'd have to sacrifice time away from flying.  Too bad I'm not current in my real world flying (medical and flight review), I'd rent a 172 and fly to Polson.

Also, do you get out to your airport much?  Just wondering as I'd like to know if the old 172 I took lessons in is still there.  N733BT.

If you ever plan on coming down to Post Falls or the Couer d'Alene area, drop me a PM, and I'll buy ya a cup of coffee for developing that great scenery of Bonners Ferry.

Rod

Rod Beck

Jim,

I am just like Rod, Retired and love aviation, even though I live in Livingston, I have family in Whitefish and travel north 4 or 5 times a year, my other hobby besides flying around in the virtual world is photography. Mostly landscapes and wildlife but Airports and planes I do when there is a show or some event going on. I am currently looking for a static Model of the Challenger 605, Ted Turner's has one which is always parked on the Tarmac at Gallatin Field, people can't miss it because it has his Bison Logo on the tail. If I find one I am going to paint it and have it parked in front of the Yellowstone Jet Center to add extra touch to the new ORBX scenery. Not sure how to add a static aircraft to an ORBX Airport, but I am sure, I just might have met someone that can tell me.... :-) hint...

Anyway, great job on your scenery, yes... Polson would be a good choice...., Mission Mountains, Bob Marshall Wilderness, Flathead Lake , Glacier close by,.. I like the thought.  I once thought Gardiner Mt would been a fun project, short runway that is sloped, Mountains on 3 sides and the Yellowstone River is 150 feet below at both ends of the runway.

I just came back from Whitefish last month so I am not planning a trip north anytime soon but if something comes up and I head that way I will let you know, If you need any other Montana Airports just message me and I'll see what I can do...

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm glad you're enjoying Bonners Ferry!

I was really just throwing that out there about Polson on the odd chance that maybe either of you gents might have ties to the area, both being from Montana. Just wondering really if some ground photos might be possible without anyone going to extremes, lol. As it turns out I'm actually closer to 8S1 than either of you are it appears, so if it came down to someone driving there specifically for photos, I could make the trip as just as easily. I'm really not set on what to do next anyway, I think my first choice for a next project may be KMYL McCall, ID, that could be easily swayed if everything fell into place for something else though. 1S9 Chewelah/Sand Canyon, 63S Collville, S72 St. Maries, KSZT Sandpoint, KTHM Thompson Falls, S23 Ione, KBHB Bar Harbor (huh?), and about a dozen others are all under scrutiny at this point. McCall would be a great stop-off between Felts/Bonners and KJAC or KYWS I'm thinking and I already made a pretty good start on KMYL for FS9 a few years back so I actually have a few models already. They're looking a bit dated now though, I'm not sure if they're up to current Orbx standards anymore so I'd probably start from scratch actually.

I am currently looking for a static Model of the Challenger 605, Ted Turner's has one which is always parked on the Tarmac at Gallatin Field, people can't miss it because it has his Bison Logo on the tail. If I find one I am going to paint it and have it parked in front of the Yellowstone Jet Center to add extra touch to the new ORBX scenery. Not sure how to add a static aircraft to an ORBX Airport, but I am sure, I just might have met someone that can tell me.... :-) hint...

I don't know if I've ever seen a Challenger model specifically for use as a scenery object so probably the easiest would be to find either a flyable or AI model of one and use ModelConverterX to convert it and place it where you wanted it in the sim. As with all this stuff it's one of those things that takes you a week to figure out and then 10 minutes to actually do, lol. Have a look around the file libraries and see if you can find a suitable model and then send me a PM or something and I'll see if I can walk you through it. A better option though might be to contact Jarrad and if you can provide him photos of the aircraft he may just add it for you, he made all the staticflow aircraft and just about any specialized aircraft used in the recent Orbx airports, IIRC he also stated that he had a service pack planned for KBZN in the future sometime, so if he had some good documentation it wouldn't surprise me at all if he'd add it to the airport in the SP.

Gardiner: It does look interesting. The only problem I can see is it's proximity to KWYS, it'd be better if the Orbx airports were a bit more dispersed I'm thinking, although that wasn't necessarily the case with all the airports in PNW. The sloped runway would be difficult to replicate as well but it could be done, AI aircraft won't use a sloped runway but that's not a huge deal for me anyway. I'll have a closer look.

I notice you're an RC flyer Rod, I was into that very heavily in the 80s & 90s, not so much anymore though, biggest problem around here is that there are very few that do it and no good place to fly. My old flying buddy lost an eye and therefore his depth perception so he had to give it up which really sucked for both of us. I got into these electric park flyers and built a couple that I could fly right here on my own place which solved the flying field problem but it just isn't the same as getting together with a group of guys at the local flying field on a Saturday and spending the day BS-ing about models and stuff. Besides I missed the smell of nitro and alcohol with the electrics. Still have all my stuff though, probably a little outdated by now, but I've always expected to get back into it one day, it's a great hobby!

On N733BT I know the airplane and I know it was still hanging around 65S a year or so ago, but I haven't paid much attention recently to be honest. Last time I was on the airport for pictures I spent most of the time on the West end getting pics of the Precision helicopters building and the group of hangars just west of it. Northern Air, the FBO here still has it listed as one of the rentals though:

http://www.northernair.biz/northernair.biz/Aircraft.html

One last question for you Rod: How would you decide which one of those Border Collies to take with you if you were only taking one? I've got a couple of those furry creatures myself (a shepherd mix and a dachshund, now there's a motley crew), either of which would be highly offended if the other got to go while they had to stay home! :lol:

Thanks guys,
Jim

I think my first choice for a next project may be KMYL McCall, ID, that could be easily swayed if everything fell into place for something else though.

Oohh!  Oooh!  Yes, please - McCall!

Like Bonners Ferry, it's a place I've been fortunate enough to spend time in, and it's a great area!  Like Felts was before it came out, it's also a place that I've long used as an area hub even with just the "Orbx default" treatment.

Scott

Jim....Good question about the which BC to take with me.  Well, I always take my oldest male as he and I've been together for 8 1/2 years and I took him through his AKC Championship (confirmation) back in '06.  I do have a female I've had for 7 years, and she's always by my side too.  I guess I could take both of 'em, and leave mom with the "kids".  Two six month old pups and their mother.

Started flying R/Cs in 1989.  Was the President of Post Fall Flyers Club for a couple of years.  Am the webmaster for their site.  http://allons7.wix.com/post-falls-flyers

There are a lot of airports in Mt and Id which would be good challenges for ya.  Too many to list.

The invite still stands for that cup of coffee Jim.

Rod

Pic of me, with my instructor, after my first solo with N733BT.  Photo taken on Felts Field.  Then he cut my shirt tail off.

RodBeckFirstSolo_0996_zps24f8aec8.jpg

Rod Beck

Jim....Good question about the which BC to take with me. Well, I always take my oldest male as he and I've been together for 8 1/2 years and I took him through his AKC Championship (confirmation) back in '06. I do have a female I've had for 7 years, and she's always by my side too. I guess I could take both of 'em, and leave mom with the "kids". Two six month old pups and their mother.

Started flying R/Cs in 1989. Was the President of Post Fall Flyers Club for a couple of years. Am the webmaster for their site. http://allons7.wix.com/post-falls-flyers

There are a lot of airports in Mt and Id which would be good challenges for ya. Too many to list.

The invite still stands for that cup of coffee Jim.

Rod

Pic of me, with my instructor, after my first solo with N733BT. Photo taken on Felts Field. Then he cut my shirt tail off.

RodBeckFirstSolo_0996_zps24f8aec8.jpg

Small world. I used to teach in Felts other 172 738BS. I now fly a King Air for a company on Felts.