Sign in to follow this  
DannyH73

Prepar3d V2.0 entering beta

Yeah, I do expect that many products won't work nor will they be updated to work. That is the price you pay for jumping to a major architecture change. I just hope some of the developers are willing to take a look at what might be needed to ensure officially endorsed compatibility (where possible, that is.)

Ultimately we will all be better off with a better core sim, but.. can you imagine flying the NGX at 60fps?  :wub: For those of you that are not big techie types, the beta notes listed (if accurate) will give us really huge framerate gains, provided you have a good GPU.

Registration is closed, what I'm confused about is why my developer license that I pay monthly does NOT entitle me to the Beta?  Seems a little "odd" to me?

Anyway, whenever it does come out, it will be nice to see what they have managed to do with DX11.  DX11 with Multi-GPU support will go a LONG LONG way for Flight Sims ... and I promise to NOT be entertained by it at all ;)

can you imagine flying the NGX at 60fps

No, because PMDG doesn't support P3D and never will apparently ... but momentum has a way of changing interpretations, philosophy, legal definitions, re-definitions, etc. etc.  It'll really just depends if there is money in it.  Keep in mind PMDG technically does NOT support DX10 on FSX.

I think to get people interested in P3D DX11, it'll take some wrangling and some mighty impressive video's and demonstrations of the product in action.  If people currently don't see the difference between FSX DX9 and FSX DX10, it's going to be difficult sell for P3D DX11.  P3D DX11 will have to accomplish:

Required

1.  Blow your socks off visual differences that even a blind person could appreciate

2.  Scalable FPS increase with multiple GPUs

Optional

3.  AutoGen popping solved, which means better LOD_RADIUS implementation

4.  Much improved global lighting system

5.  Light rays (what we were originally promised in DX10)

6.  Improved memory usage to stay within 4GB limits (DX11 should be a big benefit in this area as much can be dumped into VRAM not using up VAS)

I'm staying optimistic as to what they might deliver.  If they do indeed deliver, then I'm pretty sure 3rd party developments will follow that can leverage the power of DX11 and P3D's V2 ... it'll only take one or two really good 3rd party add-ons to get the ball rolling.

FS'ing has a good future.

Yeppers.. ultimately, the developers will go where the money is. Provided it's legal, of course.

I think to get people interested in P3D DX11, it'll take some wrangling and some mighty impressive video's and demonstrations of the product in action.  If people currently don't see the difference between FSX DX9 and FSX DX10, it's going to be difficult sell for P3D DX11.  P3D DX11 will have to accomplish:

Not sure if you missed it but you might want to take a look at the features list posted with a link near beginning of thread. Quite a jump from 1.4

As for the mentioned questions above for compatibilities, it is us the consumer that dictates whether other devs will follow and support p3dv2. 

If there is a channel and invitation to get V2 and it has all these improvements, then you can be sure the market, being all us simmers will buy this like it was going viral, leaving FSX behind, which means no more sales for anything sold for FSX or little, which would get 3PDs to think twice about their current business plan. Seems like a no brainer if it all pans out because of all the bad code being removed and limitations as well. Meaning we hear 'its a fsx bug' alot less. Plus the 64 bit developers SDK should makes things way easier to develop for the platform. 

Oops Molleh beat me to it. Shes right on

Edited by HighTowers

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Ryan of PMDG has already expressed how solid they are in PMDG's stance on P3d. It's just...sad knowing we can't enjoy a 777 in the new simulator. It's the only plane I fly now.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Guest BrianKoehler99

No, because PMDG doesn't support P3D and never will apparently ... but momentum has a way of changing interpretations, philosophy, legal definitions, re-definitions, etc. etc.  It'll really just depends if there is money in it.  Keep in mind PMDG technically does NOT support DX10 on FSX.

Required

1.  Blow your socks off visual differences that even a blind person could appreciate

2.  Scalable FPS increase with multiple GPUs

Optional

3.  AutoGen popping solved, which means better LOD_RADIUS implementation

4.  Much improved global lighting system

5.  Light rays (what we were originally promised in DX10)

6.  Improved memory usage to stay within 4GB limits (DX11 should be a big benefit in this area as much can be dumped into VRAM not using up VAS)

I'm staying optimistic as to what they might deliver.  If they do indeed deliver, then I'm pretty sure 3rd party developments will follow that can leverage the power of DX11 and P3D's V2 ... it'll only take one or two really good 3rd party add-ons to get the ball rolling.

FS'ing has a good future.

the NGX does work 100% in P3D 1.4 plus the MD11 and 747.

Not sure if you missed it but you might want to take a look at the features list posted with a link near beginning of thread. Quite a jump from 1.4

I got it, yes it is a nice list ... but I've noticed a "defiant" trend in the FS community either around cost, existing investment that works for them, or just lack motivation to move to new platforms because they're happy with what they have.

I'm obviously on board with P3D V2.0, as I am with XP10 and FSX ... it'll be interesting to see how things developer over the next several months.

the NGX does work 100% in P3D 1.4 plus the MD11 and 747.

Ok, but will it work in P3D 2.0 ... my hunch is no and without PMDG supporting P3D in any official manner it would seem to me we'll not see an NGX in P3D 2.0 at 60 fps with all the goodies enabled/maxed.

They would probably wish we stop. Guys, the list of features was probably never meant to see the light of day yet because it is not finalized.

At Avsim we try to connect developers to our members and as such, we put together the first interview from Lockheed Martin to a Flight Sinulation site.

Really wish that instead of publishing things that may breach an NDA or were wild speculation, just send the staff at Avsim a request to get more information on a developers product and we would be more than happy to follow it up.

I have gone back to LM regarding V2.0 and they stated they are not ready for release details yet, but expect to be able to talk to us about it in a couple of months.

Rest assured we will have the information for you.

Sent from my Mobile thing

A couple months(like 2) !!!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

3D waves ! I wonder if they are going to look like this:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I'm excited to hear of the news of V2.0, as this could very well be the closest we will ever get to FS11 in the near future.  I'm also sad to hear that PMDG has no intention of supporting the platform.  Could they change their stance?  I would hope so.  Two things have to happen.

- LM has to deliver on all the major advances they claim V2.0 will offer, like improved memory management and multi-threading.  Also, the little things like cloud shadows and other eye candy would be a big selling point.

- They surprise the community and offer the product as an "entertainment" title.

The second point would be the biggest catalyst to get sales moving, and wouldn't that solve the issue with PMDG or other major developers who refuse to support the platform for legal reasons?   Why wouldn't LM offer v2.0 to all markets, not just professionals?  Are they afraid of diluting the "brand"?   Is it an agreement with Microsoft when they adopted the ESP source code?   Can you imagine the sales for LM if they removed the licensing restrictions?

I have heard nothing but good things about the current P3D, and also the DX10 fixes for FSX.   I imagine users of both platforms look at FSX DX9 users like myself and scratch their heads, wondering why we don't adopt their philosophies.   It is analogous to how I view the folks who still use FS2004.  But I respect the user's decision to stick to FS2004  because they have so much time and money invested in their setup and don't want the hassle of transitioning, or they have must have addons that will not work on the newer product.   For me, I hesitate to go to DX10, even with all the latest tricks and advancements, because I love AI traffic, and I know I will mess things up with DX10 not playing nice with FS9 AI models/paints that make up the majority of my AI traffic.  Also, to the best of my knowledge, anti aliasing is still prevalent on DX10.  And I'm sure there will be some niggling incompatibilities with any of a number of my extensive collection of addons.  So I have ruled DX10 out for my sim.  Also, P3D is pretty much a no no for me because of the PMDG situation.   I only fly PMDG planes, without them I won't fly at all.

All I wish for is for LM to deliver on their promises regarding the technical advancements in v2.0, and to loosen their licensing model to include the "gamers."   PMDG are smart folks, and if they see FSX basically rewritten to take advantage of modern hardware AND their users demand it, why would they refuse to support it?

3D waves ! I wonder if they are going to look like this:

That video is unreal.  :O

I was thinking about DX11 (water) and noticed something in the leaked list (that we've all seen by now) about wave height interacting with objects (and weather interacting with water). I couldn't help but think that this adds up to P3D2.0 possibly being the ultimate carrier sim. Could you imagine waves like those in the video with a carrier pitching and rolling in rough weather? Obviously LM is crafting this code to military customers, so I imagine this is intentional.

Ryan of PMDG has already expressed how solid they are in PMDG's stance on P3d.

What's the basis of said stance?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

what about clouds casting shadows on the ground?

what about the aircraft landing lights reflecting in the clouds when you are flying below 10,000 feet?

wonder if these will be addressed?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

What's the basis of said stance?

Basically, forget it.

"Anything further on P3D is going to result in bans. I've had it with these posts - our position on this is crystal clear and has been for literally years now. We CANNOT legally make and sell consumer entertainment products for P3D. End of story."

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png