Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luis_KMIA

My virtual EFB contents for my PMDG products

Just wanted to share how I'm making my Surface Pro tablet into my EFB when I fly my NGX and T7:

- Airport and enroute charts from Navigraph Cloud

- Printouts on OneNote for PFPX and Active Sky 2012 results

- Pulling up TOPCAT for NGX

- Pulling up QRHs for the NGX and the T7

- Pulling up flightaware.com

Cheers!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's mine:

iPad 3

JeppTC for Charts

AeroWeather for WX

Adobe Reader with my OFP from PFPX + SIGWX charts

ForeFlight for VFR flying in the US (I use it in the RW primarily)

Only things I need open on my PC are FSX, AS2012 and then SB4/VatSpy if I'm online.

Here's mine:

iPad 3

JeppTC for Charts

AeroWeather for WX

Only things I need open on my PC are FSX, AS2012 and then SB4/VatSpy if I'm online.

This may be a stupid question Luke - it is late - but how do you get your OFP onto the iPad with adobe reader? I guess what I'm asking is how do you send it from the computer to the iPad app?

This may be a stupid question Luke - it is late - but how do you get your OFP onto the iPad with adobe reader? I guess what I'm asking is how do you send it from the computer to the iPad app?

Haha no that's not a silly question.

You need a PDF Printer driver - I use DoPDF (free) and works perfectly. You print the OFP to that, then I upload the PDF to DropBox on my PC. Following that I open up the Dropbox app on my iPad and open in the Adobe Reader app on iPad. That app works perfectly - you can highlight text, annotate things, add signature, free text etc. I suppose you can email it to yourself too (-:

I simply use aiflasoft's EFB on a 12" touchscreen connected to my computer as 3rd monitor.

If I need it I can also pull any other programm such as PFPX on it.

Man!  That's what you use 'em for???

I had no idea!

Haha. I actually laughed out loud. While I was on the phone with a prospective client. Always fun...

Haha. I actually laughed out loud. While I was on the phone with a prospective client. Always fun...

haha - I did the same thing while on a call with my boss the other day because my friend posted this:

freedom+is+temporarily+closed_dba108_481

Just wanted to share how I'm making my Surface Pro tablet into my EFB when I fly my NGX and T7:

- Airport and enroute charts from Navigraph Cloud

- Printouts on OneNote for PFPX and Active Sky 2012 results

- Pulling up TOPCAT for NGX

- Pulling up QRHs for the NGX and the T7

- Pulling up flightaware.com

Cheers!

I do the same thing, but have taken it one step further with Aiflasoft's EFB.

With the live ground charts etc, it's epic! The surface pro is seriously one of the best companions for FSX ever! :)

Here's mine:

iPad 3

JeppTC for Charts

AeroWeather for WX

Do they sell JeppTC subscriptions to personal users? If yes, how much?

Thanks,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jepp+tc+cost

(About $900 for the US alone)

I saw that the TC is just a bi-product of the Jeppview. To get a worldwide coverage subscription that's $12000 (not sure about time).

That's why there's a market for Navigraph cloud charts...

I do the same thing, but have taken it one step further with Aiflasoft's EFB.

With the live ground charts etc, it's epic! The surface pro is seriously one of the best companions for FSX ever! :)

And Delta signed up for them this week for real world ops.  I'll have to check out Aiflasoft.  Thanks for the info.

I'll have to check out Aiflasoft

You'll have a hard time, because it's Aivlasoft. :)

I use my Surface Pro as an EFB as well and it does its job as if it was designed for it!

Things I use the Surface Pro for:

- TOPCAT

- Navigraph Charts Cloud

- OFP from PFPX (it's possible to make notes on it with the Surface Pro Pen)

- Onenote for notes

- Weather charts

- In-Flight Entertainment. Come on... those looooong legs!!  :P

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use Aivlasoft's EFB on it properly. How have you set up this? I always end up with buttons not fitting in the screen or text that is way to big to fit in the buttons. 

Do they sell JeppTC subscriptions to personal users? If yes, how much?

Ha no way I'd pay that for it to use with FSX only! I have a very kind friend who allows me to use her worldwide code for simming purposes (-:

Next best thing is Navigraph. I'd still be using it if I didn't have access to Jeppesen.

And Delta signed up for them this week for real world ops.  I'll have to check out Aiflasoft.  Thanks for the info.

Wait, they signed up for Aivlasoft specifically? I knew they went for Surface 2 instead of more common iPad solution.

Ha no way I'd pay that for it to use with FSX only! I have a very kind friend who allows me to use her worldwide code for simming purposes (-:

Next best thing is Navigraph. I'd still be using it if I didn't have access to Jeppesen.

LIDO is even better. Unfortunately unlike Jeppesen it is pretty much impossible to find friends who use them. I wish Aerosoft would strike a deal with LIDO to allow simmer access. If it could be made for something like 160$ a year (charts+navdata), it would be about perfect. 

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use Aivlasoft's EFB on it properly. How have you set up this? I always end up with buttons not fitting in the screen or text that is way to big to fit in the buttons. 

Yeah, it's buggy for sure... I keep switching on and of the "auto-hide taskbar" option, to get rid of the lower taskbar when I'm in the EFB, so I get a bit more space. Also, make sure you enable the "tablet interface" or whatever it is called. Makes somethings a bit easier. I've also moved all the menus to the left or right of the screen, to get some more screenrelastate at the top and bottom, since it's a 16:9 monitor.

I was doing just fine with the free FAA charts flying domestic 737 flights but now its kinda a challenge to find charts for other countries that are reasonably up to date.

I have Aivlasoft EFB but haven't got it installed any longer. Anyway I have iPads and no Surface so it's a moot point anyway.

What I do use my iPad for is

-Virtual CDU for controlling the FMC in PMDG 737NGX or iFLy 737

- FSKneeboard 2 for:

-- checking weather (Metar and all kind sof maps and radar images)

-- loading all the charts for the US in different tabs for easy access

-- loading charts for other countries via dropbox (I download them on my computer, upload to dropbox where I have them sorted in folders) and also display them in tabs

-- show the IFR charts with air routes that I use when flying iFR or VFR charts when I am in ORBX land low and slow

-- showing the OFP from PFPX also via dropbox

-- via the built in browswer bringing up maps from airportterminalmaps.com that show parking positions at different airports (haven't found those for US airports from other sources)

-- I also have started more and more to use the checklist function instead of paper checklists

- VATMAP to check out traffic and controllers on vatsim

- circle to land to view charts from some mostly European countries. I don't have to go via Dropbox to get them into FSKneeboard then but it also means I have to switch to another app to view them. Also it lacks the covenient tabs system in FSKneeboard.

- Air Navigation Pro. It's an app I use when flying IRL but it can also be connected to FSX and used exactly in the same way.

I was doing just fine with the free FAA charts flying domestic 737 flights but now its kinda a challenge to find charts for other countries that are reasonably up to date.

www.ead.eurocontrol.int < always valid, whole Europe covered.

www.ead.eurocontrol.int < always valid, whole Europe covered.

I need Qatar, Japan, and Honk Kong more than anything else I won't be flying through Europe that much.

I need Qatar, Japan, and Honk Kong more than anything else I won't be flying through Europe that much.

Although I find charts in China next to impossible to find (along with valid airways!) 

Hong Kong has it's own government run source for Charts, all free and all real world valid.

http://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/ad.htm

I'm also a fan of http://www.opennav.com/ It may not be real world, but it's enough for simming, and mostly up to date. Chuck pretty much any airport ICAO in there (ok any ICAO a 777 can go to) and it should have some kind of charts for you. I have checked and found charts for RJTT, RJBB, RJAA and OTBD and found all of those are listed. Only problem I have with it is the formatting of the site is a bit harder to navigate. That said, they are charts and they are free.