Sign in to follow this  
corepunch

always get "no autoland" message

I don't know if it is related, but have you tried with the landing gear down ?  :rolleyes:

Stephane 

And another serious question : do you have both FDs on ?

Stephane

vpa055.png

Guys,

Got the same problem over and over again...:-(  In a "Cold and Dark" and "Hot" mode...With or without minimum settings.

Another problem is the speed. It's to fast in in this setting and is going down very slowy.

In this ILS landing there was also a GPWS warning...for what reason? The PAPI has 2 whites and I am on glidepath.... 

Here is my print screen of a ILS landing Runway 27 at EHAM in a "Hot" setting, so my preparation of this testflight was with the engines on...!

So FABO her is my latest print screen.

Best Regards,

Harry Koning

Mike, I was originally on an intercept point to the glidescope at 2000 ft. I was below the glidescope on the PFD originally with the g/s armed, and the aircraft just never intercepted it. I could see it above the horizon line on the PFD. ILS radio was ok, speed and height was ok, decision ht was ok. All I'm doing is flybys.

Hi, Kattz,

This is very puzzling.  So a few more questions, and please excuse me if they imply a level of understanding lower than what you actually have, but I'm trying anything I can think of:

Did you manually tune the ILS frequency or did it autotune?  If you manually tuned, did you include the correct course as well?  If autotuned, did you check that the frequency and course are correct?  "Approach" is not selected for the HSI so I can't tell.  Do the frequency and course match the data that shows for that runway in the FSX map window? 

Did you start the flight from the infamous PMDG-supplied "777 C & D" (cold & dark) state, or your own panel state derived from that C & D state?

Got the same problem over and over again...:-( In a "Cold and Dark" and "Hot" mode...With or without minimum settings.

Another problem is the speed. It's to fast in in this setting and is going down very slowy.

In this ILS landing there was also a GPWS warning...for what reason? The PAPI has 2 whites and I am on glidepath....

Hi, Harry,

Looking at your screen shot, something is wrong.  Looking out the window you are pretty much lined up with the runway.  But on the HSI, you are coming in at a 30-40 degree angle to the runway. Looking at the chart for EHAM runway 27, 267 is the proper course and that is the course you are on.  So it is very odd that the HSI shows you not at all lined up with the runway.  Issues like this can be caused by a defective AFCAD file (not necessarily the one for EHAM, but one from an earlier version of FS can cause this; also a defective magdec.bgl file perhaps.)

I recently got a lot of "pull up" and "terrain" warnings on final approach to Kai Tak runway 13 after turning from the offset glideslope/localizer course (as is proper in this offset approach), so given the display  on your HSI, maybe the warnings are normal if the system "thinks" you are on an offset approach.  Also, the plane is not so easy to slow down during descent -- I often use speedbrakes, flaps as soon as within speed limits, gear down to slow down.

Edit:  Just looked again at the HSI  and you are lined up with the correct runway, but also another runway is showing -- perhaps you put in a fix for runway 24?  But another thing I noticed: you are at 600 feet with only flaps 5 and speed of 217.  That is much too fast and much too low a flap setting for being only 1.9 nm from the runway threshold.  So possibly the warnings and certainly the "no autoland" are due to being too fast on short final.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I don't know if it is related, but have you tried with the landing gear down ?  :rolleyes:

Stephane 

And another serious question : do you have both FDs on ?

Stephane

Hi, Stephane,

Yes to both.

Mike:

I flew KTPA touch and go's today on ILS 01L.  I departed the airfield using the BAYPO1(?) SID to 5000 AGL, and then made the turn and landed via the BRDGE01 approach(?)  I have ? there because I don't remember the precise names of the SID and STAR.  Interestingly enough, the approach on the STAR flew me right over MacDill AFB, which is a strict no-no.  I used to be stationed there.  The USAF doesn't like aircraft overflying the base, and this is a published approach. 

Anyway, I got the g/s to capture (I've been using the long turn cockpit state now), and neither ILS performed an autoland, with one approach actually giving me the NO AUTOLAND warning.  The nav radios auto-tuned, and their freq/course matched the airfield approach plate.  I'll try again and get a screen shot.

Anyway, I got the g/s to capture (I've been using the long turn cockpit state now), and neither ILS performed an autoland, with one approach actually giving me the NO AUTOLAND warning. The nav radios auto-tuned, and their freq/course matched the airfield approach plate.

Hi, Kattz,

Capturing the GS is progress!    Maybe because before you were using the PMDG C & D panel state or a state derived from it?

I looked through FCOM 2 and it looks like autoland requires a stabilized, lined up approach by 1500 ft AGL (@ 5 miles out).  It also says to use flaps 20 or flaps 30, but I don't think you need flaps 20 five miles out.   I sometimes get "no autoland" and I think it is probably because I am too fast too close in. 

Don't know why a published STAR would allow an overfly of an Air Force base! 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Well... success!  Sort of.  The runways that I've been landing on are pay to play add-ons.  Imagine Simulations KCVG, KCLT, KATL, and FlyTampa Dubai Rebooted and Tampa Rebooted.  All of my flights have been on these add-ons.  So, I went back to an old standby - the KDAY FSX default here in OH.  I took off empty and minimum fuel from the 36 departure, and then made 2 HARD turns to fly the ILS 24L approach.  WICKED SHORT FOR A 777!  After this shot, cranked the autobrake up to 4.  Full-on autoland.  I'm beginning to wonder about my add-ons...

Guys,

Got the same problem over and over again...:-(  In a "Cold and Dark" and "Hot" mode...With or without minimum settings.

Another problem is the speed. It's to fast in in this setting and is going down very slowy.

Here is my print screen of a ILS landing Runway 27 at EHAM in a "Hot" setting, so my preparation of this testflight was with the engines on...!

So FABO her is my latest print screen.

Best Regards,

Harry Koning

Your energy management is really bad in the screenshot. You can't expect the automatics to land the aircraft if you hand it over in that state. Practice configuring the aircraft and slowing on schedule.

Rob Prest

Well... success! Sort of. The runways that I've been landing on are pay to play add-ons. Imagine Simulations KCVG, KCLT, KATL, and FlyTampa Dubai Rebooted and Tampa Rebooted. All of my flights have been on these add-ons. So, I went back to an old standby - the KDAY FSX default here in OH. I took off empty and minimum fuel from the 36 departure, and then made 2 HARD turns to fly the ILS 24L approach. WICKED SHORT FOR A 777! Full-on autoland. I'm beginning to wonder about my add-ons...

I don't have any of those addons, but I do have EGLL UK Extreme. (Also have quite a few enhanced AFCADs, mostly by Ray Smith.)  Just tried the EGLL 27L approach.  The key factor seems to be having flaps 20 before @1500 ft AGL.  With about the same speed -- 160 or so -- and flaps 15, no autoland; flaps 20, Land 3.    I think Autoland expects a moderate speed/flaps 20 or greater approach by 1500 ft AGL or @ 5 mi out on a normal GS.    Perhaps not always the case in RW.  Some experts remarking on the Asiana crash say that SFO ATC often uses higher speed and higher altitude approaches requiring relatively high descent rates and rapid slowing pretty close in.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi, Harry,

I just tried an approach (27L EGLL) w/ selected speed 200, flaps 5, gear down, approach on w/ GS & LOC active, and I got "too low terrain" and and PFD message "pull up" (as well as NO AUTOLAND)  In fact even with gear down, but only flaps 5, aircraft maintained @ 217, same as yours.  You need to slow down and extend flaps much sooner, as Rob said.   Looks like you need flaps 20 before 1500 ft AGL for Autoland, which will require a lower speed.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I will have to agree with Rob. You are all over the place.

Energy management is the key. Aim to be 180 when intercepting localizer, then slow down to 160 as glideslope arrives. From 160 start slowing down to Vapp at about 5 miles out.

Harry, putting aside autoland - You should always be thinking ahead and asking yourself 'will the aircraft meet stable approach criteria?' In your case that is 500ft VMC, the aircraft must be flying within 5 knots of Vref, fully configured and engines spooled.

In that screenshot you only have 100ft to go, your engines are unspooled and the aircraft is nowhere near configured for landing. Never let the aircraft get ahead of you, if the approach is unstable then nothing wrong with going around.

Rob Prest

Guys,

Got the same problem over and over again...:-(  In a "Cold and Dark" and "Hot" mode...

Cold and Dark causes all kinds of problems!

Dont use it.

(I dont know what you mean by Hot mode.)

Rob Robson

BAM - nailed it.  As Mike said above, flaps at or above 20, speed, configured, radios, at 1500AGL nails it every time.  Here's FlyTampa's KTPA on the 01L final.  If I look about a mile to the right I can see where my old house should be.  Although flying over MacDill AFB, that scenery is so wrong it's unbelievable...  Picky arse am I.  Thanks for the assist, Mike!  I'd leave you a thumbs up but the nassty hobbittses took that feature away...  :blink:

Glad you sorted it out.

Just a remark, your approach speed 154KT seems to be a little high for a Flaps 30 Autoland.

According to your screenshot, your Vref is 137 KT.

When doing a full automatic landing, the approach speed should be Vref+5KT.

Stéphane LI-THIAO-TE

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

vpa055.png

BAM - nailed it. As Mike said above, flaps at or above 20, speed, configured, radios, at 1500AGL nails it every time.

Thanks for the assist, Mike! I'd leave you a thumbs up but the nassty hobbittses took that feature away... :blink:

Glad I could help & appreciate your kind words.  I had been having an occasional NO AUTOLAND but never figured out the exact conditions.  So your issue gave me an impetus to figure out the constraints more precisely!

I agree with Stéphane LI-THIAO-TE that 154 seems high, depending on your gross weight.  What is the CDU showing for final approach speeds?  But that shouldn't prevent an autoland, especially since in high, gusty winds you might very well need that much speed, and the autoland is rated for pretty gusty winds.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2