Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manny

MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 Ultra-Res Cities

MSE V2 just announced Ultra-Re Cities

Which is good news..I think.  .I was wanting something like this rather than an entire state. some states I want entire state but I wanted it complimented with something like the Mega cities which we used to have. My Fav old mega city is Phoenix and DFW.

But the bummer is, I did not see anything about night textures nor autogen. Although this is high resolution " While current states are made up mostly of 50 cm source data resampled to 1 meter, Ultra-Res Cities are not resampled and are displayed at 50 cm (or better if higher resolution imagery is available)."  

I hope PCaviator would see the wisdom of putting  some effort in in placing autogens for these cities (the area is reasonable size)  and also give us night textures...even if its priced a tad more. This would compliment the regular MS V2 phototextures for the entire state..giving us a nice approach addon.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I agree, it's kinda pointless to release a city with no buildings or autogen IMO. the main reason I never bought any of the Aerosoft cites is lack of night textures, but at least they had full buildings.

I have megacity DFW also and like it, but I also have my own small areas around DFW, including Addison airport photoreal at 20 cm per pixel uncompressed and you can really see the difference.

Also this info " While current states are made up mostly of 50 cm source data resampled to 1 meter," is probably not good marketing and would probably hurt future sales as most users look at this as lowering the quality. Default FSX is 1 meter per pixel

but I also have my own small areas around DFW, including Addison airport photoreal at 20 cm per pixel uncompressed and you can really see the difference.

Where from did you get that? I want it. :P

resampled to 1 meter," is probably not good marketing and would probably hurt future sales as most users look at this as lowering the quality.

For an entire state it would be too much otherwise.. like they explained, it would take something close to 6TB HD space for the entire US. not a good idea

I like this idea about mega cities..but it begs for night and good autogens + hand placed objects as well deserving "mega city" title.  :)

I actually liked their earlier option they had where I could buy certain areas within a state.  I prefer this because I want corridors to go from city to another.

I want a corridor where I could fly at 10,000 feet from DFW to Houston to Austin to San Antonia and then from DFW via lubbuck to Tucson/Phoenix.

I want southern Nevada connecting CA to Arizona  and Reno joining with CA.. otherwise I do not care for the other 75% of NEvada. and then Arizona to Denver via Utah. 

IF I could buy tiles of megascenerry that would be my option instead of installing 6-7 states. 

IF PCAviator sells these corridor package.... connecting Denver to CA and Devver to Arizona (Phoenix),.. Hint Hint PCAviator... DFW to Oklohama, DFW/Houston to Miami (coastal) ....   An east coast corridor from Tampa to NY City/Washington DC .  then I would buy these corridor package. This involves just creative  product packaging!  :smile:

Look at some common VFR  routes filed  and then build those corridors since 90% of the time thats what I do, I am flying from one place of interest (an addon aiport) to another. If I want to go criss cross from random point to another in a particular state, I would have a choice to buy the entire state... which is what I have the entire state of CA.

I fully understand and kinda agree on the file sizes, but that is where the compression comes in handy with resample exe. I have 4 TB externals i keep photoscenery on, not to mention the 2 TB drives I keep source data on and they are getting full, but I so enjoy photoscenery that it's a no brainer for me.

the problem with corridor type packages is you really have to put the time and effort in to match AND blend the photoscenery with the default or it really stands out, I know, have tried and done it many times.

I have all of TX on my short list and if these new city packages are well done and more complete, then I am there. Always wanted to fly cross country in FS with realistic scenery. I have flown in San Antonio, Austin and Houston for real, would love to make these destinations in FS.

Corridor sections might as well do the whole state. Lower 48 state size is 1.5tb, but cities at higher resolution is better idea, but some cities it will work fine. Chicago and Minneapolis tend to sprawl not as easy with multiple states are involved. Chicago-Rockford-Racine-Gray or Minneapolis-St.Could-Rochester. Phoenix and

Vegas city would work better as urban is

compact do not connect to other cities urban

area.

Could work fine in western states but midwestern and northeastern states not so much.

I too got the email of this today and thought "Yeeha" then realized that again, we're talking no autogen, which for a cityscape just doesn't cut it.

Shame, MSE are just going overdrive on releasing new photo products, but just aren't getting it, that what a large proportion of their customers are asking for, is an autogen solution, or at least a part 3D solution.

Personally, I don't want blankett autogen for MSE regions, but I do want autogen and / or 3D objects close to all (or most) airfields in the region.      The take-off / landing weakness in MSE is what has led me to uninstall the whole lot, after buying 8 states. :(

Just cannot get away with taking off with no 3D objects.     What we need is 3D trees, shrubs, buildings etc for about 1 mile around each airport.

Boston city is annouced for tomorrow's release.

Although its priced for $20, you can get it for $10 if you purchase it tomorrow. (first 7 days)

Pricing
All Ultra-Res Cities are going to be priced at just $19.95. At under $20 we feel our customers will be able to add a substantial number of their favorite cities without breaking the bank.

Product Launch Promotional Price
Also, the celebrate the launch of our first Ultra-Res City, we are going to be offering a 40% discount for the first 7 days. Also since tomorrow is our customary weekly 10% off Tuesday, if you order tomorrow you will get 50% off. So Boston will cost you just $9.97 if you order tomorrow, $11.97 between 8 and 14 October and then $19.95 thereafter.

I am skipping it since I don't have autogens for this (BOSTON) city

DFW or Reno or Phoenix or LasVegas or LA or San Diego or SFO I can use the old Autogens.

Not sure if we would get O'ahu at this resoluition. That would be awesome.,.,.

Hi folks,

Correct. no autogen on the Ultra-Res City packs. Like the MSE state and country regions, we tried adding some autogen to the product to see how it looks, and honestly, in our opinion at least, it detracted from the high-res imagery and didn't really look that good at all. (Again, this is our opinion). With the Ultra-Res city packs, we didn't want to cover up any of the imagery at all, given the advantages that the increased resolution offers in a photoreal package.

We understand the lack of autogen will not suit every virtual pilots flying style of course.

I will be getting many of them.  Not Boston though.  I don't like Autogen.  It's so fake (plus it requires a massive amount of rendering depending on your slider).  I do like seeing trees though but then most are not realistic either as they are massive in comparison to the scenery (i.e., buildings around them).  This is the real stuff albeit not great when you are landing at most airports but I'm a flight sim pilot and don't have time to be looking at the scenery as I'm landing or taking off.  Flying into FSDT airports though is nice.  You see?  I'm one who likes the real stuff!!  Somebody has to do it!

Best regards,

Jim

Well said Jim, I also like the real stuff.  I only wish they would use some night textures like UTX.

regards, Jason

I only wish they would use some night textures like UTX.

Well, that e-mail said that's coming up next (as freeware).

Best regards,

I posted up this quickie video I made of MSE Ultra City - Boston (posted in Video forum also).

For $10.17 purchase, I think you MSE folks pulled it off for Boston ... it does look amazing.  BTW, the city buildings remain intact, so there are some 3D objects still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bvSih0ztE  - be sure to watch this in Original HD (2560 x 1600) if you can, full screen.  It'll stress your bandwidth at 2GB files size (compressed down from 15GB original recording) for only 2:50 mins (so about 100Mbps/sec).  Frame rates were unaffected by the HiRes (60-70 fps).

Rob.

My feelings are mixed. The city looks impressive; especially the fidelity of the roads, but I did not find suburbia Boston to be a significant improvement over 2.0; some places looked better - others worse, especially coastal zones. Southern NH looks notably worse than its 2.0 counterpart IMO. See my first set of screenies in my other post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423249-megasceneryearth-cities-ultrares-meh/#entry2822249

Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Minneapolis areas like to see. Northeast hardly fly there unlike midwest and california

I posted up this quickie video I made of MSE Ultra City - Boston (posted in Video forum also).

For $10.17 purchase, I think you MSE folks pulled it off for Boston ... it does look amazing. BTW, the city buildings remain intact, so there are some 3D objects still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bvSih0ztE - be sure to watch this in Original HD (2560 x 1600) if you can, full screen. It'll stress your bandwidth at 2GB files size (compressed down from 15GB original recording) for only 2:50 mins (so about 100Mbps/sec). Frame rates were unaffected by the HiRes (60-70 fps).

Rob.

The 3d "hand-placed" or custom buildings will remain visible in all cities and all photoreal sceneries. Whether that be MSEv2 high res cities, MSEv2, SimSavvy or you own home made photoreal scenery. You will see these custom 3d objects. The only 3d you lose with photoreal is autogen(unfortunately for people that want 3d, this is most of what is there with the land class based sceneries).

Well said Jim, I also like the real stuff.  I only wish they would use some night textures like UTX.

X3 on both comments!

I would also like to see fixes of more bordering state issues in MSE2 states than release of additional new sceneries.  For instance with the recent fixes for Calif and Oregon they fixed issues along the Oregon/ Washington border at the coast, and the Calif/Nevada issue at Lake Tahoe, but failed to address the issue at the Pacific coast on the Calif/Oregon border.  There are also stark color differences between other states, such as between Indiana and Ohio, and the appearance of the Ohio river between Ohio and West Virginia.

and the Calif/Nevada issue at Lake Tahoe

Interesting, I have the updates and they didn't fix the Lake Tahoe issue for me?  Odd.

The 3d "hand-placed" or custom buildings will remain visible in all cities and all photoreal sceneries.

Yes, but someone suggested that there is NOTHING at all in terms of 3D objects (AutoGen are a subset of 3D objects) ... so I was just clarifying.  In a perfect world we wouldn't even know or understand what AutoGen is and we certainly would NOT want AutoGen ... we'd want 3D buildings/structures that actually represent what is there and blends seamlessly with terrain.  We can have this to a small degree, such as NewYork Mega City  or San Francisco Mega City (but even those don't cover All the buildings, always a compromise) -- but on a world scale, this never gonna happen in my life time.  And for the most part those "partial" cities will bring any current PC to it's knees (DX10, DX11, XP10, P3D, doesn't matter) ... their is no magic hardware relief when it comes to unique polygons and textures (even with 4 Titan 6GB cards).

AutoGen is a clever solution, repeating objects just enough that you hope it doesn't become a distraction, sometimes it works, sometimes not ... but the blending of these objects is rarely "as real as it gets".  So either way you look at it, there is a compromise.

HOWEVER, the good news is that we can have both, just enable/disable scenery libraries except perhaps Orbx ... Orbx seem intent on forcing folks down a single path -- I was very disappointed to see I can't buy some airports because they "rely" on Orbx regions, so I'm not free to pick and choose what I want to use.  Sure, I can write some code to dynamically undo their stuff and allow other products like MSE to work with Orbx, but I'm not sure that's something I want to invest time into and hence my avoidance of Orbx products.  Which is a shame, they have some really nice products that I would buy.

Rob.

Interesting, I have the updates and they didn't fix the Lake Tahoe issue for me?  Odd.

Hummm!  I DL and update and based on the description believed it corrected this.  I installed the update but have not flown there to validate. 

I've noticed there are exclusion areas around most major water bodies where the underlying MSE 2.0 scenery is allowed to show through. Lakes and rivers all seem to have them. They look almost like someone took a circular paintbrush and created a transparency mask over all the water bodies. I wonder why they did that?

All right I bought Boston.. but I didn't get my Tuesday 10% off.. Hmm... where is my $1.20 savings?  :P

I bought it at 11:05 Central time..that would be 12:05 EST. So I guess I missed my saving by 5 min?  -_-

:lol:

I didn't want to get it at first but let me chalk this off as "education" so I would know what to expect for the cities that I really want.

But if anyone has the F1 Instant scenery one could easily place some buildings and trees in strategic areas near Boston to give the illusion of autogen.. I did this for the old O'ahu. I knew the older version of the Instant scenery where I could plant trees and buildings and houses pretty fast... but I found the recent version tedious so I have not used the Instant scenery at all.  Maybe I should uninstall and go back to the older version and relearn what I used to do. Hmm..the thing is I am home only during the weekend..limited time to do that sort of thing these days.

It'll be nice to have a list of cities planned and the order they are targeted for release.

For $10.17 purchase, I think you MSE folks pulled it off for Boston ... it does look amazing.  BTW, the city buildings remain intact, so there are some 3D objects still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bvSih0ztE  - be sure to watch this in Original HD (2560 x 1600) if you can, full screen.  It'll stress your bandwidth at 2GB files size (compressed down from 15GB original recording) for only 2:50 mins (so about 100Mbps/sec).  Frame rates were unaffected by the HiRes (60-70 fps).

Rob.

Really well done Rob. Looks like you have your graphics settings nicely tuned. What LOD_RADIUS setting did you have for that session? Looks to be 4.0 - 5.0?

Appreciate you taking the time to capture your experience on video and sharing it.

What LOD_RADIUS setting did you have for that session? Looks to be 4.0 - 5.0?

It was actually 9.5 ... easy to do with a default FSX Heli.

I did my best with the video, but like I said, had to compress it down from 15GB to 2GB and on top of that YouTube does additional compression.  The version I uploaded (even at a compressed 2GB) looks a lot better than YouTube's "processed" version (in any quality setting) ... no compression artifacts in my version.  The 15GB fraps recorded version looks even better, but ultimately being "live" in FSX was of course the best version ;)

I have NOT tried recording RGB lossless yet, probably looking at 2X file size to 30GB for just 2 mins and 50 seconds worth.  I did try to keep the altitude low 2300 ft.  I did notice a few areas with less clear details ... so I paused FSX to see if it was a texture load issue, but they didn't clear up so I'm guessing it's just a less clear texture (specifically the Charles River Basin - Esplanade).

I was impressed and I'll certainly be looking to get more cities as they come out.

Rob

9.5 wow ok... Must definitely be the video compression then, and of course the additional YouTube compression on top of that. Thanks for the info.

All right I bought Boston.. but I didn't get my Tuesday 10% off.. Hmm... where is my $1.20 savings?  :P

I bought it at 11:05 Central time..that would be 12:05 EST. So I guess I missed my saving by 5 min?  -_-

:lol:

I didn't want to get it at first but let me chalk this off as "education" so I would know what to expect for the cities that I really want.

But if anyone has the F1 Instant scenery one could easily place some buildings and trees in strategic areas near Boston to give the illusion of autogen.. I did this for the old O'ahu. I knew the older version of the Instant scenery where I could plant trees and buildings and houses pretty fast... but I found the recent version tedious so I have not used the Instant scenery at all.  Maybe I should uninstall and go back to the older version and relearn what I used to do. Hmm..the thing is I am home only during the weekend..limited time to do that sort of thing these days.

It'll be nice to have a list of cities planned and the order they are targeted for release.

Yeah the MSE HQ is on the East Coast so they are in EST. You will need to be 5 mins earlier next time! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your order too. Instant Scenery is a good app to quickly add objects to photoreal yes.

Re a list of future releases, I will see what can be done. We like to keep it a secret until very close to release... Of course, we could announce them well into the future, but then we don't want to disappoint anyone if for whatever reason, there needs to be a change to a product or a schedule etc (which does happen a lot with software development).

Besides, isn't it more fun to keep guessing? :P

FYI - Philadelphia is next on the MSE Ultra-Res City list.