Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

New Scenery Config Editor for FSX/FS9 Released

Clutch, ask Orbx to adjust their install software etc to solve this. Sim720 addons had exactly the same issues at first in that they also deleted custom groups, but I reported it to them and they easily fixed it to not cause the problem. :)

It is irritating, and one of the things that causea me not to buy Orbx addons now, just cant be doing with the hassle of switching them in and out.

Good luck getting Orbx to do it though, I rather think they prefer it like that - I suppose the harder it is to switch their products in and out, the more people are locked into always using their scenery? :|

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

My expierience is that Orbx don't give a stuff about this. Like above, its why i've stopped buying their stuff.  A little like biting one's own nose off, because their stuff is truly surburb. I just don't believe they actually give a stuff about their customers.

Unfortunately I had requested that from ORBX, but they did not buy into my Idea of providing compatibility.....

Regarding AES, thats not a problem...... just activate all Scenerys - Activate AES for all your scenerys - after that just let AES alone.... except when installing a new supported scenery, the game starts again......

regards

Unfortunately I had requested that from ORBX, but they did not buy into my Idea of providing compatibility.....

Thought as much, it's very disappointing but unfortunately absolutely predictable :( Great scenery, but poor flexibility :(

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Kevin,

See my earlier post...I add ORBX stuff manually and into groups and it works a charm..

Dave

Is it OK that when I started editor it showed only default libreries (where Addon scenery was the highest with priority 1). So should I manually add custom areas and save  file to be able to enable/disable them? Also, I noticed that newscenery.cfg file is being created. Is it used by FSX then insted of default scenery.cfg?

I have seen this too and you always have to look up in the menu bar to make sure you are editing the right config.  I go to the directory and delete any "newscenery.cfg" and that usually fixes the problem.  Not sure why it is doing that as I will see newscenery.cfg, go back to the menu and change it to scenery.cfg and it will show scenery.cfg but, when I go to save it, it's showing newscenery.cfg.  Truly weird and unusual.  Perhaps the author will see this and investigate.  In the meantime, anytime you see newscenery.cfg, delete it or else your scenery.cfg will not be edited and you'll be scratching your head wondering why your scenery is not there or why it is still there.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim

Would it not be easier just to go into Edit> Preferences and untick the "Follow the NewScenery Convention" box

That way the program will deal directly with your Scenery.cfg.

Shame about Orbx destroying my custom groups though, they need to fix this but I doubt they care really.

Had no idea they updated in November.  Thought the app was long since dead.  Nice to see it's still up and kickin'.   Did they ever find a work-around so one can use custom groups while also using ORBX?  Orbx would always delete my custom groups from what I understand. 

You know about "RESTORE/RESTORE GROUPS FROM BACKUP", right?  For me restores groups instantly . . .

Joe Lorenc

Would it not be easier just to go into Edit> Preferences and untick the "Follow the NewScenery Convention" box

That would definitely be the way to go!  Thanks.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

""You know about "RESTORE/RESTORE GROUPS FROM BACKUP", right?  For me restores groups instantly . . ."

Yea, I tried that in the past but it did not seem to hold after a few times.  Orbx would still wipe it out.  I too pretty much put new Orbx addons on hold after they came out with FTX Global and read there was no way to uninstall the product.   I have moved up to photoreal scenery anyway.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I a new to Scenery Config Editor.  I saw this post and tried the links in DropBox but they have been deleted.  Are there replacement links available, please?

Thank you,

Tregath

Here you go David. This is the Scenery Editor 1.1, along with the map you need. The MS FSX scenery world is numbered (the \Scenery\ folder in FSX) from this map, and repeated into the Scenery Library. This will allow you to "not load" any that - say "Africa" are not needed for that flight. Here's a pic.

The new version referred to in this post above will work too - I just haven't opened it yet-ok!

firehawk44, on 29 Mar 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2953932'>

The Scenery Config Editor does not work with FTX Central very well and I would not recommend anyone try to disable/enable FTX scenery using the SCE. I learned that myself the hard way and had a lot of scenery corruption. I finally was able to get FTX Central working properly again. It's just as easy to enable/disable FTX scenery via their FTX Central utility.

I have FTX PNW with some airports and Northern California. How is it possible to switch off for instance only the airports in PNW via FTX Central.??

Best Regards

Werner

Sorry guys, one more question on this topic. Maybe it has been answered, already, but I could not find it...

I understand there are issues with FTX Central erasing SCE groups. I also understand it is strongly suggested not to mess up with ORBX sceneries via SCE. Ok, agreed.

Now, the question:

Can I do the following without being sorry:

1) Use FTX Central to select (activate) ORBX region. 

2) Close FTX Central

3) Use SCE to untick all "third party sceneries" (to use ORBX language) that I won't use. Especially if previously "grouped" in SCE (e.g. London VFR, etc)

4) Save new as scenery.cfg

5) Close SCE. Launch FSX

Comments? Previous experience?

many thanks

Can I do the following without being sorry:

1) Use FTX Central to select (activate) ORBX region. 

2) Close FTX Central

3) Use SCE to untick all "third party sceneries" (to use ORBX language) that I won't use. Especially if previously "grouped" in SCE (e.g. London VFR, etc)

4) Save new as scenery.cfg

5) Close SCE. Launch FSX

I am not entirely understanding what you are trying to do.  You activate an Orbx region then open up SCE and then untick (disable) all third party sceneries and save the scenery.cfg.  You can do this.  You can do this too when you start up your flight in FSX and then go to the Scenery Library and disable any scenery you will not be using. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM