Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

New Virgin America Safety Video

Couldn't watch (till the end), too busy mood. It's like trying to learn politics, from a Michael Bay film. :mellow: ^_^

I think that, in their attempt to make things less boring, vital parts, which remain vital even if folks aren't interested, got spoiled. Man, I should lighten up and just feel the safety vibe. :blush:

I kinda like, but it's long. And my phone doesn't completely turn off with a single click. It goes to sleep. :)

Yeah it's one of those, it's interesting the first time, but I think frequent flyers are going to get tired of it pretty quickly. Besides being corny, it's a little too long for a safety announcement.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Nothing will ever beat the "Hobbit Safety Briefing"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The only trouble with briefings such as the hobbit and the first one shown is that they are "entertainment" therefore intrinsically not important. This kind of thing works for children but less so for adults. Potentially life saving instructions should be given using formal language.

Here there is a god example: "E vietato attravessare i binari." Correctly translated to "Do not cross the railway lines." In France it is "Ne pas franchir les lignes." Which they translated into informal English "Don't cross the tracks". Here there is a big difference between "do not" and don't". One is formal and the other informal (therefore less important). The fact that the Italians pay no heed to the instruction is another matter!!

I was wondering when the FAA or someone else does some sort of study on these 'Entertaining' type of Flight Safety Video's to see if they are effective or confusing. Air New Zealand have a number of them that take place in settings outside of an aircraft like Hobbit, Bear Gryllis and Betty White. The Bear Gryllis video counting rows in the woods may not make a connection to how many rows a person is to an actual exit due to the setting, and stuffing bags in the lockers where he stuffs it in a mossy hole....etc

I agree they are funny when you see them on YouTube but I feel they will lose the effectiveness real fast and get annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJheoLUtX_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJheoLUtX_Q

Matthew Kane

The only trouble with briefings such as the hobbit and the first one shown is that they are "entertainment" therefore intrinsically not important. This kind of thing works for children but less so for adults. Potentially life saving instructions should be given using formal language.

Here there is a god example: "E vietato attravessare i binari." Correctly translated to "Do not cross the railway lines." In France it is "Ne pas franchir les lignes." Which they translated into informal English "Don't cross the tracks". Here there is a big difference between "do not" and don't". One is formal and the other informal (therefore less important). The fact that the Italians pay no heed to the instruction is another matter!!

I'm pretty sure that when my mother told me not to do things she said 'don't do that', not 'do not do that'. Didn't make it any less (or more :P ) important to listen.

I'd also argue that grabbing and keeping people's attention is very important when trying to get the message across and that 'entertainment' can do this more effectively than boring formality.

The most effective safety briefing I ever came across was one United used a long, long time ago... 1960's, I think.  Robert J. Serling, (Rod's brother and the AP aviation writer) referred to it in Loud and Clear.  It began with, "For your own safety, KNOW HOW TO MOVE OUT OF THIS AIRPLANE FAST!!!"  It went on in that vein.  Snapped people's heads back and everyone listened,  But they gave it up after a short time because it was upsetting the passengers.

I understand why Virgin and the others are trying novel (and novelty) approaches. The standard package is flat-out boring and nobody pays attention to it.  But I agree with the skepticism here - I'm not sure that all the special effects, entertaining as they are, add up to a better briefing.

The question is, can you get the safety message across without alarming people?  Put another way, do you need to alarm people to get them to really listen and really learn?

The Virgin message did get at one point that's always bothered me - I have no idea why it's required (or customary) to start the briefing off by telling people how to fasten a seatbelt.  I think that's the point at which people stop listening - "oh, for god's sake, I know how to do that and I know how to tie my own shoes, too - I'll go back to reading my e-mail."  Maybe if they started with something else, like the oxygen masks or the risk of fire, they'd be able to hold the audience longer.

I'm sure this will keep many passengers engaged much better than the boring cut and dry ones, frequent fliers will ignore safety briefs no matter what kind of video you made since they heard the spiel over a 100 times. 

This is my favorite manual demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXY27Rwg6UQ

to start the briefing off by telling people how to fasten a seatbelt.

I think its to alleviate any possible legal issues such as a passenger not wearing a seat belt who got injured in turbulence then tries to sue the airline claiming no one showed him how to use it. 

I'm pretty sure that when my mother told me not to do things she said 'don't do that', not 'do not do that'. Didn't make it any less (or more :P ) important to listen. I'd also argue that grabbing and keeping people's attention is very important when trying to get the message across and that 'entertainment' can do this more effectively than boring formality.

Yes she did because: "She's your Mum." i.e. personal, informal, family etc.  I'm pretty sure also that if you continued not to do as you were told she would say "I've told you time and time again. Do not do that!"

I think the BA video works well because it has cartoon images that attract the youngsters and a formal but courteous voice giving instructions plus subtitles.

The ANZ videos whilst fun to watch are subliminally saying to you "We have to give a safety briefing, but we'll do it in such a way that its importance is lost. Therefore it's not imperative that you pay attention."

I think the BA video works well because it has cartoon images that attract the youngsters and a formal but courteous voice giving instructions plus subtitles.

I think the BA is a hit or miss, in my case I'd be more inclined to look out the window during that brief vs something that is a bit more eye catching. If you want to keep it strictly professional then this one is a bit less cut and dry (and a good way to showcase other work groups within the airline)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3e0WSiBti8

This one down here is downright annoying for me (I hate kids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2KRXHJi6MY

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.