Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Looks like LM P3D want PMDG?

Wouldn't a simple solution to all this be a MS and LM agreement that LM will sell the professional version and MS market the consumer entertainment version? In that way simmers get access to the enhanced platform, MS mitigates the cost of development and we get around the licensing issues because its been sold just as a new FSX. 

Obviously this is very unlikely to happen as it involves complex agreements between two big companies for a small market.

Perhaps because many think P3D  will be the best.

It might be the best right now, and for the next two years or so, but we should also look at the future. Lockheed Martin is a very big company and P3D is only an extremely small portion of their income, this puts them in a similar position as Microsoft and therefore it not unlikely they will cancel P3D in a few years when it turns out not to be profitable enough. XPlane 10 on the other hand, is constantly developing and Laminar Research is specialized in flight simulation and therefore they can't just cancel XPlane because that will cancel their whole company, which is why I think XPlane is likely to stay around for very long. On top of all it uses the latest technologies and develops quickly. 

It might be the best right now, and for the next two years or so, but we should also look at the future. Lockheed Martin is a very big company and P3D is only an extremely small portion of their income, this puts them in a similar position as Microsoft and therefore it not unlikely they will cancel P3D in a few years when it turns out not to be profitable enough. XPlane 10 on the other hand, is constantly developing and Laminar Research is specialized in flight simulation and therefore they can't just cancel XPlane because that will cancel their whole company, which is why I think XPlane is likely to stay around for very long. On top of all it uses the latest technologies and develops quickly. 

Lockheed Martin's size and the fact that its declared purpose in developing Prepar3D is to support its training businesses. are its strengths.  Prepare3D was never intended to be profitable in the conventional sense based solely on internet sales to enthusiasts..

Do you suppose that if Laminar Research becomes unprofitable it won't be cancelled and that Austin Meyer (for example) will subsidise it indefinitely. My impression is that he's a very shrewd operator and unlikely to throw good money after bad.

P3D actually looks that good that I have just made the decision to get it very shortly. PMDG will get into P3D too one day, and if they won't I am afraid I will have to say goodbye to them. There will surely be other developers out there who can deliver PMDG quality (Majestic, FSLabs).  On the positive side, perhaps all PMDG planes will work just fine in P3D V2. If that's the case then I will make the switchover and I will be saying goodbye to FSX altogether! And, we'll get many of our FSX add-ons free for P3D (Opus, ORBX), how great is that?! Man, I am looking forward so much to finally being able to just fly and not having to worry about anything. Having great graphics, clouds, flight dynamics, no OOMs, no problems, no limitations, but just sheer fun! :BIG GRIN: 

And, we'll get many of our FSX add-ons free for P3D (Opus, ORBX)

Please explain your "free" opinion in detail. BTW. Lead or follow your comments with what it is, an opinion.

Funnily enought, neither Majestic nor FSLabs actually support P3D, while Majestic Dash will work if you port it over, FSL were very clear that their A320 will be for FSX only (unless you will want to buy the professional version a bit later)

Please explain your "free" opinion in detail. BTW. Lead or follow your comments with what it is, an opinion.

Probably he means the fact that he does not have to buy a separate P3D license for the software

Funnily enought, neither Majestic nor FSLabs actually support P3D, while Majestic Dash will work if you port it over, FSL were very clear that their A320 will be for FSX only (unless you will want to buy the professional version a bit later)

Probably he means the fact that he does not have to buy a separate P3D license for the software

And I'm scared the A320 will have professional pricing.... Maybe not to bad though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Getting back to the top of the thread. I have never thought of FSX as a game and I don't really feel "entertained" by it. I have only thought of it as flight simulation and an environment in which to learn about aircraft and aviation. As such, I feel that LM has stated it just right in their licensing options, Learning, Simulation. While PMDG may have some reservations about the learning part so that some T7 pilot can't say that he learned to fly with a PMDG product, a stretch really. They should have no issue with the simulation aspect, after all, we are talking about a flight "simulator."

James McLees

It could be called "I stayed at a Holiday Inn express" simulator. Now, please dont tell some of these people they aren't real p[pilots. They take extreme offense at that statement. :P

It could be called "I stayed at a Holiday Inn express" simulator. Now, please dont tell some of these people they aren't real p[pilots. They take extreme offense at that statement. :P

What ? You mean sitting here in my pajamas and bath robe getting ready to land at Narita after having slept through most of the flight doesn't qualify ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

And maybe LM just does not care for the entertainment market...

There is one other option....they could sell a license to another company (perhaps a consortium of FS developers) that gives them the rights to market and sell to the entertainment market.  Solves several problems and brings in a few extra $$$ as well.

Why... why does the next platform HAVE to be P3D? Just a few advantages of X-Plane:

- 64-bit

- amazing graphics (better than P3D V2)

- no licensing issues between developers and other parties

- constantly developing

- widely supported by PMDG quality developers

- we are gonna have PMDG products

- meant for entertainment

Just watch Froogle's latest video if you're not convinced.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

After watching Froogle's video I am starting to think this is where things will ultimately go.  I had previously known very little about X-Plane and have to say that it does look very good.  With some addon scenery and aircraft of the highest quality I think it could be a viable option.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I hate this word 'Entertainment' . Its all hinged on that word and its stupid. If defined as I think it does then it simply means gaming fun. We are the furthest thing from that. Particularly developers like PMDG , FSLABS, and others. PRECISION manuals clearly implies quality and to simulate as close as possible. If Entertainment is what this is all about then why are we so concerned with FCOMS and the few thousand page manuals, and have correct procedures with tutorials. Might as well start it all up with the E key. And press Z for autopilot and hope it works. Heck Entertainment implies flying through squares and hitting balloons for points. So if anything , the lawyers should be getting rid of the word Entertainment from the EULAs plain and simple. And add phrases like this simulation is for learning and simulating what this aircraft is like in real world but is not in any way shape or form to be used in real aircraft. Learn and enjoy to simulate it.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

You guys may well take this flying lark seriously, but please don't tell me that you are not having fun at the same time. If you aren't, then why are you doing it?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You guys may well take this flying lark seriously, but please don't tell me that you are not having fun at the same time. If you aren't, then why are you doing it?

To get chicks.

Regards,

Brian Doney