Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

for the lucky ones already flying V2 : graphic card ?

it would be helpful if someone more "techy" than I could clarify this.

I started a topic about all this on the P3D forum, hoping someone from LM will chime in with some knowledge and advice. It's nice talking about this all but it sometimes feels like the blind leading the blind (no offence to anyone!!! ^_^ ).

(no offence to anyone!!! ).

None taken.  Definitely groping for the lightswitch here.  

Alan_A, on 27 Nov 2013 - 2:33 PM, said:

Thanks, that's extremely helpful information.  Your 4770K clock is roughly comparable to (actually somewhat better than) my 4.8 GHz on the 3770K.  So it seems as though the 780 ti would be well within VRAM bounds on my system.

No problem, if you guys want me to run it in any other scenarios id be happy to.

I started a topic about all this on the P3D forum, hoping someone from LM will chime in with some knowledge and advice. It's nice talking about this all but it sometimes feels like the blind leading the blind (no offence to anyone!!! ^_^ ).

Jeroen

I see you have indeed asked the pertinant question(s)......good work indeed sir and I shall be watching that thread with interest:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=4028

I've got £1500 burning a hole in my virtual pocket for a new PC and the only variable in the new rig is currently the videocard!!!

Regards

Steve

the issue for me is that I intent to go 2560x1440...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just traded out my old Radeon 6970 for a well-overclocked GTX 780 and the performance difference in P3D is night and day. Several of the graphical anomalies I reported earlier with the Radeon are also gone. Mid to high-end nVidia is a no-brainer if you intend to fly this sim.

I would just like to throw something out there for all you guys who can't fork out tons of cash, at this time of the year, for a new graphics card. If you are on a tight budget, like me, get a GTX 660 2GB, preferably a factory overclocked one if you don't like tinkering. Resellers are almost giving 660's away right now to make room for all the 700's. I got my Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB O/C for 148€! that is insanely cheap where I live (Finland), plus I got a couple of great games bundled in for free (Assassins Creed 4 and Splinter Cell: Black List). I bet it's even cheaper if you live in the States. It must be the best bang for the buck atm for budget-shoppers. I can only dream of gpu's like the 780's or Titans atm, wife is only working part-time and I'm studying atm and we have a 2-year old. Five hundred € on a graphics card? If I'd go out and buy that my wife would first laugh hysterically at me and then execute me, brutally.....Happy Holidays! =)

Addman,

I am looking at that exact same card and the 760.  I am in Ecuador so cards are super expensive here compared to the USA or Europe.  How is your 660 working with Prepar3d so far?  Any advice you can give me will help me (and my wallet) with getting a new card!  Thanks a bunch

Orman

Addman,

I am looking at that exact same card and the 760.  I am in Ecuador so cards are super expensive here compared to the USA or Europe.  How is your 660 working with Prepar3d so far?  Any advice you can give me will help me (and my wallet) with getting a new card!  Thanks a bunch

You know what, I can't say how it performs in P3D because I haven't bought P3D yet. I justed wanted to point out these cheaper cards for people on smaller budgets. BUT I saw an encouraging video that shows how well P3D scales with "lesser" hardware:

He has a GTX 660ti which is better than the 660 but not by VERY much but not as good as the 760 I think. My advice always is, get the best card you can afford, it's simple but if you only have enough for something like a standard 650 then I'd say save up a few more bucks because the jump from 650 standard or ti to a regular gtx 660 is pretty big.

cool Addman.  Thank you so much for the advice.  Im only finding a difference of $50 between the 660 and 760, so I gotta think about if the difference between the two is worth the extra cash.  I probably should wait a bit more time to see what different results people are getting with different setups.  I´m on an i7 3700 (not K version) that is @3.9 Ghz.  But my video card is a GT440!!!  I dont have to have P3D at max settings, but having a smooth experience with P3D and complex addons (i.e fly tampa and PMDG) is my target.

Orman

I recently added an Evga 760 with 2 GB to my 3570k rig (4.4 Ghz) and overclocked it a bit more than Evga's default overclock (I added +20 Ghz and + 330 for memory speed). I'm running at 1080p with one main monitor and one lower resolution monitor for a moving map. I have frame rate locked at 33 with 4x MSAA, 4X SGSS in Inspector and triple buffering. Autogen set to very dense. All scenery shadows on except for terrain. Water set to ultra. In clear weather flying the Real Air Duke at 180 knots, I see 33 FPS most of the time with FTX Global. With clouds, I'm getting high 20s on average. In Seattle, I'm averaging low to mid 20s with clouds but smooth. GPU power usage is 82 percent or so per PrecisionX. I haven't looked at VRAM.

One thing I noticed quickly was that P3D stressed the GPU more than the Furmark tests for overclocking. I had to dial back my overclock to avoid GPU driver crashes.

My conclusion is that a 760 with 2 GB is perfectly acceptable at 1080p and 1 primary monitor.

cool Addman.  Thank you so much for the advice.  Im only finding a difference of $50 between the 660 and 760, so I gotta think about if the difference between the two is worth the extra cash.  I probably should wait a bit more time to see what different results people are getting with different setups.  I´m on an i7 3700 (not K version) that is @3.9 Ghz.  But my video card is a GT440!!!  I dont have to have P3D at max settings, but having a smooth experience with P3D and complex addons (i.e fly tampa and PMDG) is my target.

Glad to be of help even though I don't have P3D yet, I just use common sense =). It's all about how you set the sim up, of course you can't drag all the sliders all the way to the right on a 660 with heavy add-ons over, let's say New York, on a rainy day and expect smooth performance. If you're having a smooth experience with custom setup with a GT440 I can make a qualified guess that a 760 or even "just" a 660 will give you an even better experience, maybe by a big margin.

OK thanks.  Im not on P3D yet, just testing the waters.  In my FSX, I can get it to run decent but my system does choke a bit in a combination of bad weather with REX textures and the heavier addons that I mentioned before. Thank you for sharing that video as well.  Shows that there are some real possibiliies for us that are on a budget and cant spring for a titan or 780.  Please keep me us posted on your experiences if you do take the plunge into P3Dv2 with your 660.  It´s a big help for us poor simmers!

Orman

I'm surprised GPU's like the 780 Ti and titan are even mentioned on a forum like Avsim.

These cards are the absolute top of the range and given the graphical presentation of P3D these cards SHOULD be absolute overkill.

Heck, a 780 ti runs battlefield 4 maxed out at 2560x1440 no problems.

For comparison, a normal 780 runs War Thunder at 200-300fps !! and it looks WAY better than P3D 2.0 even with mods.

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/8b/8b8c92f0_warthunder2.jpeg

http://warthunder.com/upload/image/1000x700/shot%202013_05_09%2007_11_54.jpg